Anti virus software recommendations - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 7:12 am Thread Starter

Question Anti virus software recommendations

A question for the computer guys.
I'm tired of Norton slowing and crashing my computer from time to time. What is a good replacement product for a a Windows XP machine?

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 7:21 am

eset's NOD32 is about the best I've found.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 7:21 am

Hi John, I use AVG which is free, stable and automatically updated on a daily basis - http://free.grisoft.com/.

To totally remove Norton, you will have to start your machine in safe mode, otherwise certain components carry on lurking around your software, if you need any help on doing this, just ask.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #4 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 7:42 am

What Norton products are causing you problems?

I have been using Norton products for decades, only had problems with them about 5 years ago, one version was troublesome. Once I updated that version, no problems since.

I now am running Norton Internet Security, Ghost (for backups), and Norton SystemWorks Pro. No slowdowns or crashes.

Are you sure it is Norton causing your problems?

The only application that crashes me occasionally is Acroread, the Adobe Acrobat reader. Sometimes if I open an attached .pdf and scroll down while the document is still loading, it will freeze up and I have to re-boot to get out of it. Now looking for a better .pdf reader.

I am having a lot of problems the past couple weeks with slow internet, but it seems to be my little local cable company's problem. I can disable Norton from starting on boot and the problem still exists. I am in the boonies, and fast internet is just something to dream about.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 8:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Wife is a computer geek..
Switched our home, Windows XP to F-Prot
So far I like it a lot better than Norton.........

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #6 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 8:58 am Thread Starter

Smile 2007

David,
Norton anti virus 2007. Went to update last night and the program crashed my computer several times. I admit this was rare but I notice norton does slow down my system a bit. I am pretty sure norton is the cause. I have a pretty good processor and tons of Ram. I too have used Norton for years but I'm willing to try another product to compare. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
What Norton products are causing you problems?

I have been using Norton products for decades, only had problems with them about 5 years ago, one version was troublesome. Once I updated that version, no problems since.

I now am running Norton Internet Security, Ghost (for backups), and Norton SystemWorks Pro. No slowdowns or crashes.

Are you sure it is Norton causing your problems?

The only application that crashes me occasionally is Acroread, the Adobe Acrobat reader. Sometimes if I open an attached .pdf and scroll down while the document is still loading, it will freeze up and I have to re-boot to get out of it. Now looking for a better .pdf reader.

I am having a lot of problems the past couple weeks with slow internet, but it seems to be my little local cable company's problem. I can disable Norton from starting on boot and the problem still exists. I am in the boonies, and fast internet is just something to dream about.

post #7 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 8:59 am Thread Starter

Smile thanks

I did use the Norton removal tool last night. Is that not enough? When in safe mode should I run the removal tool again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Hi John, I use AVG which is free, stable and automatically updated on a daily basis - http://free.grisoft.com/.

To totally remove Norton, you will have to start your machine in safe mode, otherwise certain components carry on lurking around your software, if you need any help on doing this, just ask.

post #8 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 9:06 am

Hey John, I kept getting an error message with Norton when opening Word and Excell. I also noted slow down times, especially on opening of applications and reboots were like the second Ice Age even with a clean Start Menu. I googled the error message, came up with the fix(es) and tons of bad stuff about Norton. I tried the fixes and they didn't work, so I removed Norton. I'm now using Avast and like it.

I'd also like to know how to finish removing Norton in the safe mode, Woolster.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 9:36 am

This months Consumer Reports rated P-Cillin (spelling?) as the best.
post #10 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:16 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEhrler
This months Consumer Reports rated P-Cillin (spelling?) as the best.
Not sure this LINK will connect because it is a subscription but the top three are:

Trend Micro AntiVirus plus AntiSpyware (PC-cillin Internet Security 2007)

Check Point ZoneAlarm Antivirus (Internet Security Suite 7.0)

Microsoft Windows Live OneCare (Vista) 1.5

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #11 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Smile Thanks

I read about Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6. Anyone used this product? PCWorld magizine rated it the best. Some magizines have unfair rating practices depending on how they are funded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Not sure this LINK will connect because it is a subscription but the top three are:

Trend Micro AntiVirus plus AntiSpyware (PC-cillin Internet Security 2007)

Check Point ZoneAlarm Antivirus (Internet Security Suite 7.0)

Microsoft Windows Live OneCare (Vista) 1.5

post #12 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrehder
I read about Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6. Anyone used this product? PCWorld magizine rated it the best. Some magizines have unfair rating practices depending on how they are funded.
That's the good part about Consumer Reports. They don't accept advertising so their reports should be unbiased.
post #13 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:17 am
Ted

Quote:
David,
Norton anti virus 2007. Went to update last night and the program crashed my computer several times.
John - same thing happened to me in May 2007, I have been running Norton since 2005 with no problems, then installed yearly update & bang!

Turns out there is a conflict in the latest release with Norton GoBack and IBM ThinkPads. (Of course, this is stated NOWHERE in Symantec's documentation...)

Anyway - perhaps GoBack is your problem, even if you do not have a ThinkPad.

It can be uninstalled by hitting spacebar and following instructions after rebooting after it blows up. (I actually had to run it numerous times - would get to a point & freeze, but ultimately it completely uninstalled).

Once uninstalled, my PC runs much faster than the previous 2 years when GoBack was installed.

Hope this helps!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #14 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:10 pm Thread Starter

Smile Ted

I'm guessing Go-back is part of Norton? I think go-back is on my step sons machine and we are having slow issues with his machine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
John - same thing happened to me in May 2007, I have been running Norton since 2005 with no problems, then installed yearly update & bang!

Turns out there is a conflict in the latest release with Norton GoBack and IBM ThinkPads. (Of course, this is stated NOWHERE in Symantec's documentation...)

Anyway - perhaps GoBack is your problem, even if you do not have a ThinkPad.

It can be uninstalled by hitting spacebar and following instructions after rebooting after it blows up. (I actually had to run it numerous times - would get to a point & freeze, but ultimately it completely uninstalled).

Once uninstalled, my PC runs much faster than the previous 2 years when GoBack was installed.

Hope this helps!

post #15 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:16 pm
Old Dawg

+1 on Trend Micro PC Cillin MUCH better then Norton.

http://us.trendmicro.com/us/home/index.html

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #16 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:59 pm
Ted

Quote:
I'm guessing Go-back is part of Norton?
Yes. On your pc, if you reboot after system crash, you should get option to hit spacebar. Then you will see the option to uninstall Norton GoBack. You'll get those "are you sure..." warnings, too, - just say yes. If the machine freezes during this process, HARD reboot (turn pc off) and repeat. I had to repeat this cycle 10 - 15 times, maybe more, before it was finally removed. btw -I was on phone w/ Norton Technical Support for about 1 hour.

For your stepson's, you should be able to uninstall thru conventional means.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
IBA# 16554

post #17 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 1:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Only one solution I can see...

Quote:
I'm tired of Norton slowing and crashing my computer from time to time. What is a good replacement product for a a Windows XP machine?
Any of the Apple PC's.

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #18 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 1:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
Any of the Apple PC's.
I am very happy running Linux on one of my laptops and one of my desktops.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #19 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 2:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I am very happy running Linux on one of my laptops and one of my desktops.
That's a nice OS. Box conversion from MS isn't trivial to the plug-n-play crowd. I like the Apple approach to seamless integration, and of couse, Linux. We are just talking about toy computers, anyway.
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #20 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 2:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

free software option for cleaning...

CCleaner: http://www.download.com/3000-2144_4-....html?tag=dl.1

click on the video link, read the review. No Adware or spyware.

Will fix registry problems, can erase all of your internet browsing history, and has a really NICE uninstall function that will remove even the most pesky clingy software (like norton and real player) software that leaves behind remnants when you use "add/remove software" or it's own uninstall function to delete.

Oh, and it's free.

I've used it for a couple months, and love it.

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #21 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 2:45 pm

Computer Associates Etrust

I'm a software developer. And have used Computer Associates for the last 10 years. They have a software package that includes not only Antivirus but also anti spam, Firewall, Anti Spyware, Desktop protector(Prevents programs from taking control of you system). Excellent product and receives updates automatically when they become available. Also allows for scheduled full systems scans when you are not working (you set the time).
post #22 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 2:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
CCleaner: http://www.download.com/3000-2144_4-....html?tag=dl.1

click on the video link, read the review. No Adware or spyware.

Oh, and it's free.

Pete
Free to remove 20 erroneous registry entries - 30 bucks after that ??

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #23 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 2:58 pm

Thumbs up Microsoft Live OneCare

Quote:

John, the best on the market I have found is, Microsofts Windows Live OneCare.

It is a suite that covers;
Antivirus
Antispyware
Anti-Phishing
Managed Firewall
Data Backup and Restore
Performance Tune-ups
The suite sells for $50 and has 3 licenses, but is often sold for less, I would guess to get out in the market since it's a new product. It works with XP SP2 and Vista.

The software does not slow down your computer and hog proccesses like so many other antivirus programs, and does not slow down your boot time. I suppose since Microsoft knows their own OS, they were able to design a software package that works flawlessly with it.

I've been in the computer business for 15 years and am the president of a computer company and I'll put my reputation on the line for this product.

Good Luck. ~darren
post #24 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 3:07 pm Thread Starter

Smile thanks!

Darren,
thanks for the heads up. I will certainly chekc it out tonight when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle

Antivirus
Antispyware
Anti-Phishing
Managed Firewall
Data Backup and Restore
Performance Tune-ups
The suite sells for $50 and has 3 licenses, but is often sold for less, I would guess to get out in the market since it's a new product. It works with XP SP2 and Vista.

The software does not slow down your computer and hog proccesses like so many other antivirus programs, and does not slow down your boot time. I suppose since Microsoft knows their own OS, they were able to design a software package that works flawlessly with it.

I've been in the computer business for 15 years and am the president of a computer company and I'll put my reputation on the line for this product.

Good Luck. ~darren

post #25 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 3:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Free to remove 20 erroneous registry entries - 30 bucks after that ??

is that what you got? I fixed HUNDREDS. Let me know.

I have the previous version, it's 2.59MB, if your email will handle it I am happy to send it to you

Pete

post #26 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 3:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bghubr
I'm a software developer. And have used Computer Associates for the last 10 years. They have a software package that includes not only Antivirus but also anti spam, Firewall, Anti Spyware, Desktop protector(Prevents programs from taking control of you system). Excellent product and receives updates automatically when they become available. Also allows for scheduled full systems scans when you are not working (you set the time).

amen to that, tigerdirect.com has it right now, comes on a credit-card sized 2gb "thumb drive" and can be installed on either three or five machines, and is free after rebate

post #27 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 3:30 pm

Quote:
I'm running Kaspersky 5x. Came with my System Mechanic Pro 6. Not too much of a system hog. Ran Norton for years, several years ago their software got really buggy & slowed my system to a crawl, so I bailed & got Trend Micro's PC-Cillin. Liked it OK, but they wanted me to upgrade to the newest version the next year & it got crappy reviews, so I switched to AVG. I've heard good things about NOD32.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #28 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 3:42 pm

Quote:
is that what you got? I fixed HUNDREDS. Let me know.

I have the previous version, it's 2.59MB, if your email will handle it I am happy to send it to you

Pete
Yes pls Pete !!

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #29 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 3:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
. . . so I switched to AVG. . . . .
+1 for AVG??

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #30 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 4:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle

Antivirus
Antispyware
Anti-Phishing
Managed Firewall
Data Backup and Restore
Performance Tune-ups

Good Luck. ~darren
I'm sure it's a good product, but, I dunno, seems kinda unholy to me that the same folks that gave you a swiss cheese OS also gives you the tools to plug the holes.

Marshall, Tx

post #31 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 4:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yes pls Pete !!

send me an email at [email protected], I'll zip the file and email it to you

Pete

post #32 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 4:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

CCleaner, July release without restrictions

Here you go, everyone...

http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayimage.php?pos=-133

unzip, install, and enjoy

Pete

post #33 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 4:57 pm

Thanks, Pete.

• MB SLK 350 MT

post #34 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 5:17 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I'm sure it's a good product, but, I dunno, seems kinda unholy to me that the same folks that gave you a swiss cheese OS also gives you the tools to plug the holes.
They didn't "give" either!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
IBA# 16554

post #35 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 6:29 pm

Quote:
An Apple I-Mac

A man has to know his limitations....

2009 K1300 GT - Royal Blue Metallic
2006 K1200 LT - Storm Gray Metalic

BMWMOA
BMW.LT
post #36 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 8:47 pm

dealing with El Diablo

Quote:
Yeah, that's what happens when when people want an OS to run everything including the kitchen blender. As unholy as it may be, at least it actually works without slowing down new systems. Last week Best Buy was selling them for $10 for 3 licenses. I bought several copies if anyone needs one.

Macintosh users have historically touted more robust security on Apple's machines. Then again Apple only retains less than 5 percent of the overall computer market, making it a much smaller target for hackers than Microsoft's Windows systems. Regardless of what most Mac users think, there are viruses out there written for Mac's so I hate it when people use that arguement regarding viruses. The Mac community is small enough that thankfully there aren't as many low life scum buckets out there wasting oxygen and writing viruses for them, but they do exist.

I still remember the days I was eating ramen in college, trying to get by, and owning my propriatary Mac system. For me to buy a regular HP inkjet printer for my Mac it was around $800, the same printer for a Windows PC was about $350. And don't even get me started on software, or the lack there of. Thankfully they've learned from some of their mistakes over the years and have been bailed out of bankrupcy and given an opportunity to compete. I like the new Bootcamp systems, it doesn't force people into different camps and allows people to experience the best of both worlds, PC's diversity and lower prices versus the propriatary and specialization of the Unix based Mac.

Last edited by Seattle; Aug 24th, 2007 at 1:47 am.
post #37 of 61 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 11:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I am using Avast!. It is free for home use, does not load the system, gets almost daily updates and has caught thinks that McAfee did not. You just have to register it.

For those of you stuck on Windows 95, Avast supports it as well.

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #38 of 61 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 7:59 am

Quote:
AMEN!

I am far from a Microsoft fan, just forced into it over the years by software availability and company standards. I may not be using my CAD software much any longer, so my next computer upgrade may actually be a MAC. That could be years away though, since I have a fairly recent upgraded system with a lot of power and ram.

My internet speed has dropped to a crawl for some reason, waiting on the tech for the local cable company (A small independent system) to bring a laptop over and see if he gets the same thing. I think it is a problem with their system. If not, I will totally uninstall all Norton apps and try again. I uninstalled the Norton Internet Security application yesterday, no affect, so re-installed it. My slow down happened around the time my NIS was upgraded from 2006 to 2007, but at the same time the cable company was making changes in their head end. I hate it when two things change at once, and problems arise!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #39 of 61 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 8:18 am

I switched over to Kubuntu months ago and couldn't be happier. It has everything I need and does everything I need - with the exception of the Garmin mapping software. I'm going to try running that under VMWare or Wine, though.

I have NOD32 running on my laptop and had it on my desktop until I loaded Kubuntu. I really like NOD32. Very small footprint, checks email for viruses,and scans all the drives in the background. I have it check for updates daily. So far no problems running any other software at the same time and no system slow down. I installed it on a couple of clients PCs and they are happy with it.

My ISP is running McAfee virus & SPAM on their server and it catches pretty much all of it. I get an email about once a month telling me to go verify the emails it stopped. We're running the same software on or Unified Messaging product here at work and it does catch a ton of stuff - depending on how you have it configured.

Now for a shameless plug (and a slight thread hijack):
Unified Messaging - one portal to check your email, voicemail (land line & cell), and fax. Check your messages from the web or via the phone. If checking via the phone, it reads your emails to you. If checking via the web, you can listen to your vmail and reply (IF you have speakers and a microphone) and read your incoming faxes. Cell phone and landline intergration: If you receive a vmail on your landline, you will receive notification on your cell phone and can check you landline vmail from your cell. It works the other way, too. One mailbox for ALL you messages. Integrates with Outlook.

And now, back your regularly scheduled thread..........

Marshall, Tx

post #40 of 61 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 9:12 am

And the vote is...

Quote:

+1 for AVG??
+2 now......

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #41 of 61 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 9:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

my anti-virus protection

y'all (that's Texan for "you guys") can feel free to adopt it as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	virusprot.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	13910  

post #42 of 61 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 9:28 am

What about...

Quote:

Yeah but do they come in wireless type???

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #43 of 61 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 9:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Does this procedure include the conductive grease that Joe recommends on all connections??

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #44 of 61 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 9:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Does this procedure include the conductive grease that Joe recommends on all connections??

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #45 of 61 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 9:59 am

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
That would be "dielectric" grease, which is totally NONconductive.

There are conductive greases on the market, for VERY specialized applications, but you certainly would not want to use them on connectors!

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #46 of 61 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 11:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerider
Yeah but do they come in wireless type???

Harry, if you need a wire to keep it on, you have bigger problems than whether you get a virus...lol

post #47 of 61 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 11:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

There are conductive greases on the market, for VERY specialized applications, but you certainly would not want to use them on connectors!

ya' never know, David, maybe that's a version of that "Prolong" stuff...

post #48 of 61 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 2:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

David,
Thanks . . . learning something every day!
From one of many Google searches

"Dielectric Grease, (Chemplex 710)

Da bomb, as they say, and a British car owners best friend! Taking all the bullet connects apart, cleaning and using a dab of dielectric grease on the connections will instantly eliminate 99% of all electrical problems on most vintage cars! Use on battery terminals to prevent corrosion and unwanted grounding as well on all wire connections throughout.

Don't confuse this product with the sub-par products sold to consumers at retail outlets. This Chemplex 710 Dielectric Grease is a superior, industrial quality, military grade, dielectric grease manufactured by Fuchs Lubricants in the USA.

Large 5.3 oz. tube (150g) will last ages. "

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #49 of 61 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 3:24 pm

Quote:

+1 on AVG. Have used it for years.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #50 of 61 Old Aug 24th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Yer Raht...

Quote:

Harry, if you need a wire to keep it on, you have bigger problems than whether you get a virus...lol
Good idea! Tie-downs may just do the job..............................

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ

'13 SILVA K1600GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in