Would you give up the Dollar Bill for a Dollar Coin? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 9:05 am Thread Starter
Bouncer

Would you give up the Dollar Bill for a Dollar Coin?

I just read this article, and started thinking about it. Maybe it's time the dollar bill was retired.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070815/...erson_dollar_2

As someone who takes all my coins for the day and dumps them in a big empty water bottle, I might make my playtime nestegg grow faster by dumping dollar coins in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 9:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

1960-1964 I lived in Las Vegas.
All dollars were silver..............
Was hard to keep my pants up with all that added weight

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #3 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 9:52 am

Suspenders

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #4 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 11:08 am

Ever try slippin' a dollar coin into a dancer's G-string?

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #5 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 11:26 am

Nope, won't stay in the g-string, you have to use the slot.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #6 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 11:32 am

I loathe dollar coins. But then again, do they have to be so big? Same goes with the 50-cent piece. Make the quarter, 50-cent piece, and dollar coin all the same size, but with different inserts or something. But the larger sizes gotta go!
post #7 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 11:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
Nope, won't stay in the g-string, you have to use the slot.
You owe me a keyboard.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 11:48 am Thread Starter
Bouncer

I was in a club in Wichita, KS many many years ago and remembered a dancer who could pick up a stack of quarters.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #9 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 12:06 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I just read this article, and started thinking about it. Maybe it's time the dollar bill was retired.

As someone who takes all my coins for the day and dumps them in a big empty water bottle, I might make my playtime nestegg grow faster by dumping dollar coins in there.
""The Jefferson dollar follows the Washington coin, which was introduced in February, and the John Adams coin, introduced in May. The coin honoring James Madison will go into circulation in November, and four more of the nation's presidents will be honored every year in the order they served in the White House.""

They are going to release 4 coins per yer. One for each president. That means we could have living Presidents with their images on our money?? That's kinda weird...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #10 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 12:14 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Kinda like the 50 state quarters of a few years ago. Let me bet that living (or sitting) Presidents won't be on the coins. Then again, maybe so. With 43 Presidents and 44 coming up next year, it will be 10 more years before we even get to that point.

-
post #11 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 12:14 pm

Quote:

Hell no, I remember that sacajawia dollar coin. They tried to give them to me as change someplace, but understood very quickly I wanted real money for my change.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #12 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 12:24 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Kinda like the 50 state quarters of a few years ago. Let me bet that living (or sitting) Presidents won't be on the coins. Then again, maybe so. With 43 Presidents and 44 coming up next year, it will be 10 more years before we even get to that point.
W and Willy will probably be around in ten years. We'll see

I haven't seen any of the Washington or Adams coins. Anybody have one yet??

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #13 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 12:25 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Hell no, I remember that sacajawia dollar coin. They tried to give them to me as change someplace, but understood very quickly I wanted real money for my change.
Rock
Why didn't you consider it real money?

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #14 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 12:32 pm

How many times are they going to try this. America hated the Susan B Anthony. It ended up over seas with the military installations. Then they launched that last one that looked like a gold piece with the Native American Girl on it. Where did that end up after hundreds of millions are spent to strike a new coin? These turds keep spending our money trying to reinvent the wheel. Every vending machine has a bill changer.Mostly every thing you can get out of a machine is at least one dollar now.Give up on the one dollar coin once and for all.

Tony 05
post #15 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 12:47 pm

I was living in England when they did away with their pound note. It sucked. I know it's the same but it just doesn't feel right when you hand the barkeep a 5'er for a beer and just get loose change back.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #16 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 2:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
As is typical in these situations, I don't think we have a choice. They may play it up as fun and promote the collectable aspect, but in the end it's what's best for them, not us. Paper dollars tend to stay in circulation an average of around 18 months, whereas coins tend to last around 30 years. One source clams that they could save half a billion dollars a year by switching all dollars to coin form.

When we lived in the UK, I found the Pound coins to be a big hassle. They were thick, heavy, and a pain to carry around. The 2-Pound coins were nicer looking and lighter, made from two different color metals, but still I don't like carrying change at all. It just always seems to fall out somewhere, or pile up as the day goes along, or you never have the right amount so you get another 93 cents back.

These days I use my credit/debit card for most everything, so the occasional cash transaction is unusual enough to be a bit of a pain.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 2:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhudson
""The Jefferson dollar follows the Washington coin, which was introduced in February, and the John Adams coin, introduced in May. The coin honoring James Madison will go into circulation in November, and four more of the nation's presidents will be honored every year in the order they served in the White House.""

They are going to release 4 coins per yer. One for each president. That means we could have living Presidents with their images on our money?? That's kinda weird...
Federal law requires that a president be deceased for at least 2 years before appearing on currency. I don't think brain dead qualifies.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #18 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 2:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
I was living in England when they did away with their pound note. It sucked. I know it's the same but it just doesn't feel right when you hand the barkeep a 5'er for a beer and just get loose change back.
Try giving a 5'er for 2 beers (bout $10) and you have to hand over more change

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #19 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhudson
Why didn't you consider it real money?
Cause 1 dollar bills fold, and it ain't fold up into the money clip..
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #20 of 21 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 6:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
After all this time I don't think anyone misses the old £1 notes. We have £2 coins as well now, and across Europe there are 1 and 2 Euro coins. It's just normal now.

To be honest with you I hate $1 bills. 90% of them are filthy, and none of them buy much any more. By the time you've got a few your wallet is bulging so much it doesn't fit in your pocket. Heck they're even worth less than 50p now anyway!
post #21 of 21 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 11:48 am

Went to the Post Office the other day and purchased some stamps from the machine. The change was returned as dollar coins both silver and gold. At first I thought what the hell. but later I begun to like the coin over the bill.

Well that was until I went to spend them. The response from the cashier was you owe me more money. Had to take additional time to explain that they were dollars not quarters.

Even with this I would take to coin over the bill. They do need to take the penny out of circulation.

Rusty Snyder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in