My $3000 Lab. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 8:58 pm Thread Starter

My $3000 Lab.

He was struck by a car and after and ungoing doctor visits, he still is there it will be around $3000 dollars to rebuild him. Mans love for a dog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of P8140002.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	13740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of P8140006.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	13741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of P8140007.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	13742  

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 9:56 pm
Gold Supporter

And worth every penny...EVERY penny.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 10:34 pm

we put over 20K into our Great Pyr. when he was sick with cancer (radiation/surgery/chemo, etc). He lasted 3 years. A great dog, and Id do it again in a hot second...but I hope I never have to.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL

post #4 of 29 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 5:38 am

Thankfully my miniature pincher lived to be 16, and never saw the inside of a vet's office except for shots, and then had a stroke and died quickly.

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #5 of 29 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 6:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

please note my avatar for my $3000 dog.
total hip replacement
worth every dime

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
post #6 of 29 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 7:36 am

John, my heart goes out to you. I hope he heals up quickly and makes a full recovery. It's a lot of money, but nothing can compare to the loyalty and companionship of a good dog. Definitely worth every cent. Let us know how he makes out as things progress.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #7 of 29 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 9:56 am

I hear ya - got my Petra here (Norwegian elk hound) - she's my bud.

As much money as we'll willingly spend when they need it - it's kinda hard to understand why so many other animals have to be destroyed, daily (shelters, pounds, etc). Just makes me wish I had a bigger yard.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #8 of 29 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 1:34 pm

We spend over $100 a month on pain pills for our 13 year old Yellow Lab for arthritis, so I can understand what you are going through. I wish a speedy recovery for your Lab, they are the greatest dogs.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #9 of 29 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 9:52 pm

My mother just spent more than $4,000 to save her schnauzer. Unfortunately the little fella still didn't make it. But she is ok with doing everything she could to save her best friend and only companion since my Dad's death.

I have no doubt that I would spend whatever it took to save my two guys.

Keith
post #10 of 29 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 10:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

It's only money....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 29 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 8:58 am
Gold Supporter

Right now we are spending $100 a week on a German Shepherd's allergy meds, with hopes that it will drop to $50 in six months, but no promises made.

He's worth it though...I keep telling myself that anyway.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #12 of 29 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
He was struck by a car and after and ungoing doctor visits, he still is there it will be around $3000 dollars to rebuild him. Mans love for a dog.
Just think of it this way. If he had $3000 and you got struck by a car he would spend the $3000 on you to get you fixed!
post #13 of 29 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

And

lick me in the face after licking his butt.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #14 of 29 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 7:16 pm

I jusy copied this entire thread to show someone who is having a hard time this afternoon. My office manager just put one of her dogs down today. An old picanese that has had a good old life, I sure. She has been there and done that with her dogs too, as far as money goes. I just thought that she would like to read a topical thread involving these motorcycle guys I know and that there are dog lovers everywhere.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #15 of 29 Old Aug 16th, 2007, 7:49 pm

We had to put down our chocolate lab a few years back when her diabetes couldn't be controlled with insulin anymore, hardest thing we ever did. Now we have a Papillon about 100 pounds lighter, but a real joy, Everyone needs a dog....good luck with your lab!

2002 R1150R rip
1996 R1100RT
post #16 of 29 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 7:22 pm Thread Starter

We pick him up tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007
I jusy copied this entire thread to show someone who is having a hard time this afternoon. My office manager just put one of her dogs down today. An old picanese that has had a good old life, I sure. She has been there and done that with her dogs too, as far as money goes. I just thought that she would like to read a topical thread involving these motorcycle guys I know and that there are dog lovers everywhere.
I have visited him each day, and his getting more and more ready to get home. I will post a picture tomorrow with his cast. He will have to lay and relax for the next 6 to 8 weeks so he does not bust the screws. I got a fan that blow mist of water to keep him cool.

I find also interesting "Us" big bad bikers who much of us love dogs. or animals.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #17 of 29 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 9:47 pm

Harley and Cooper say

Get well soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HandC.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	13797  

Last edited by Seattle; Aug 17th, 2007 at 9:54 pm.
post #18 of 29 Old Aug 18th, 2007, 1:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
I have visited him each day, and his getting more and more ready to get home. I will post a picture tomorrow with his cast. He will have to lay and relax for the next 6 to 8 weeks so he does not bust the screws. I got a fan that blow mist of water to keep him cool.

I find also interesting "Us" big bad bikers who much of us love dogs. or animals.
John,
Sorry to hear about the pup, but glad to hear he's back home & on the mend. Sounds like your family will be at his beck & call for the next few weeks.

It's hard to watch them be hurt. Our oldest has had 3 lumpectomys in the past year. Probably won't do any more after this, but who knows. She'll be 14 next year and I just can't see putting her through it. Besides, she's a therapy dog & can't work if she has an open wound. And she's none too happy about not working!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sittingLrg.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	13798  

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #19 of 29 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 5:13 pm

John, that's why they have credit unions for city employees. Good luck and I hope your guy makes a complete recovery. Wouldn't know what to do without mine!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Laura 07.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	13820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilly 07.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	13821  

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #20 of 29 Old Aug 20th, 2007, 12:59 pm

Anything

I would do anything for my two Labs. Shiloh will be 12 in December, she and I have been together since she was 8 weeks old. She is in really good health. Charlie has only been with us since early this summer but the love you develop is instant. We adopted charlie and one of the questions on the application was something like how far would go for your dog if it became sick. My answer simply was "anything".

Good luck with your Lab and I hope he makes a speedy recovery. BTW, also good luck keeping him inactive for that amount of time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_5010small.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	13843   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4998small.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	13844  

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #21 of 29 Old Aug 20th, 2007, 1:54 pm

My Standard Poodle and Mini Schnauzer send their best and also said "Way to go, Dad!!"

Bill
DC-3 Driver
post #22 of 29 Old Aug 20th, 2007, 4:27 pm

I'm looking at a 2-3k bill for my 8+ yr old golden as we speak. She blew out her kneecap on dog beach this last wekend in socal. I should know better than taking an old dawg out there but she sure was having fun up until that point.

As good a life as she's had, I can't believe she isn't more healthy at her age. She has also formed various sized lumps in the last year or so too.

Going to have to make a decision right quick, she can't walk much at all.

The suckiest part of owning anything with a heartbeat (well, mammals at least), having to make these decisions at some point. I'm not very good at losing my bud's, humans or dogs. I think dogs are harder 'cause they can't talk.

Best of luck to you on your decision as well, what is it about these 4 legged creatures I'll never know.
post #23 of 29 Old Aug 20th, 2007, 5:33 pm

Pet lover euthanasia

Well maybe this will stir the pot.
I won't spend thousands on a dog. I'll bet I love my dog as much as anyone but taking the dog to the vet dozen's of times isn't something she's going to enjoy.
Current dog is a pedigree garbage can inspector; German Shepard/ Golden Retriever mix... a wonderful dog.
10 years old, now showing evidence of tumor growth. Choices are to put her through surgery, etc. OR as long as she is comfortable, give her lots of love and treats.
I won't even let the vet put her down; the dog really doesn't like going to the vet's, she gets kind of nervous.
So when it looks like she is suffering, I'll take her out in the back yard, put a bowl of everything she loves in it, and while she is gulping it down, I'll put a bullet in her brain. This will be a lot easier on the dog than it will be on me. When my turn comes, I can only hope to be so lucky.

By the way, for those to whom this sounds cruel consider this: We also have an old horse who will need to be dispatched someday too; there are plenty of informed opinions that euthanizing a horse with a properly placed bullet is much more humane than lethal injection. (Note "properly placed". If you don't know how and where to place the bullet you may not be so kind).
Here's some info about lethal injection: FDA controlled drugs are needed to anesthetize the animal so they don't feel anything. Other, less regulated drugs are used to paralyze or stop the heart. Some vets don't use the FDA controlled drugs (cost, control requirements because of abuse potential are deterrents to use of these drugs). Lethal injection without these drugs looks good but feels bad; kind of like the horror stories about people having surgery in the operating room while they couldn't move but were wide awake. (Muscle relaxants working well, the anesthetics not working well at all.) If you have a vet euthanize your pet, ask what drugs are being used. Will your pet be sedated/asleep or just killed quietly while the animal is conscious but non-reactive?
So while some of you may think that spending all that money for surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, etc. is the nicest thing you can do for your pet, I would submit that perhaps the nicest thing for the animal is the hardest thing for you.
post #24 of 29 Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Well maybe this will stir the pot.
I won't spend thousands on a dog. I'll bet I love my dog as much as anyone but taking the dog to the vet dozen's of times isn't something she's going to enjoy.
Current dog is a pedigree garbage can inspector; German Shepard/ Golden Retriever mix... a wonderful dog.
10 years old, now showing evidence of tumor growth. Choices are to put her through surgery, etc. OR as long as she is comfortable, give her lots of love and treats.
I won't even let the vet put her down; the dog really doesn't like going to the vet's, she gets kind of nervous.
So when it looks like she is suffering, I'll take her out in the back yard, put a bowl of everything she loves in it, and while she is gulping it down, I'll put a bullet in her brain. This will be a lot easier on the dog than it will be on me. When my turn comes, I can only hope to be so lucky.

By the way, for those to whom this sounds cruel consider this: We also have an old horse who will need to be dispatched someday too; there are plenty of informed opinions that euthanizing a horse with a properly placed bullet is much more humane than lethal injection. (Note "properly placed". If you don't know how and where to place the bullet you may not be so kind).
Here's some info about lethal injection: FDA controlled drugs are needed to anesthetize the animal so they don't feel anything. Other, less regulated drugs are used to paralyze or stop the heart. Some vets don't use the FDA controlled drugs (cost, control requirements because of abuse potential are deterrents to use of these drugs). Lethal injection without these drugs looks good but feels bad; kind of like the horror stories about people having surgery in the operating room while they couldn't move but were wide awake. (Muscle relaxants working well, the anesthetics not working well at all.) If you have a vet euthanize your pet, ask what drugs are being used. Will your pet be sedated/asleep or just killed quietly while the animal is conscious but non-reactive?
So while some of you may think that spending all that money for surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, etc. is the nicest thing you can do for your pet, I would submit that perhaps the nicest thing for the animal is the hardest thing for you.
Holy %$#,

You know, not many of us "enjoy" going to the dentist either, but as parents and/or dog owners it's up to you to make decisions for the ones whom you're responsible for taking care of. If you own a dog that means taking them for their vaccinations and making sure they have their preventives such as heart worm meds. My dogs actually love going to the vet, but I try to make everything a positive experience and they trust that their owner will always do what is right.

It sounds to me you are trying to convince others that your lack of care is supposed to be a good thing so that you don't feel guilty about your poor decisions. I would suggest that if you're feeling guilty, it's because you should. Here's to you getting lucky with your bowl of lucky charms.

Last edited by Seattle; Aug 21st, 2007 at 10:34 pm.
post #25 of 29 Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 6:06 am

Miss Understood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle
Holy %$#,......
It sounds to me you are trying to convince others that your lack of care is supposed to be a good thing so that you don't feel guilty about your poor decisions. I would suggest that if you're feeling guilty, it's because you should. Here's to you getting lucky with your bowl of lucky charms.
Well, aren't you kind? I knew I might stir the pot with my post, but I didn't expect a personal attack in response.
I wrote a post that was meant to be thought provoking about compassion and humanity with respect to advanced medical care for pets. Having re-read my post I can see how you assumed that I never have vet visits.
It seems you read a lot into my post that is simply not there; your interpretation that I neglect my animals is simply wrong. That is not the case. Did I say I don't have Vet visits, preventive meds, vaccinations? No, I didn't, you assumed that. And no, I don't feel the least bit guilty about how I treat our animals, quite the contrary.

Ever heard of a living will? Do you have one? When will you decide enough is enough when you have a bad disease with a poor prognosis? Isn't it sensible for a pet owner to make a similar decision for their pet?
If someone has enough discretionary income to spend thousands of dollars to prolong an animals life throught surgery, chemo-, radiotherapy, etc. and that's what you want to do, okay go ahead, there are plenty of vets who will help you do it. And if you are convinced that you are taking the moral high ground by doing so, well that's nice for you too.

The point I was trying to make was that I suspect sometimes people are thinking of themselves and not their animals when they chose to subject animals to advanced medical care. At what point is extensive medical care for an older animal not in the interest of the animal but rather motivated by simplistic, anthropocentic nonsense, however well intentioned, on the part of the owner?

Last edited by CharlieVT; Aug 22nd, 2007 at 7:34 am.
post #26 of 29 Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:44 am

Do I dare join another dog thread?

Good luck Motorman with your dog. I hope he comes through with flying colors. It sounds like he has an excellent prognosis.

Quote:
Charlie perspective is valid. There are times when it's best to just say goodbye. If they won't recover to a point where they'll be healthy and happy, then to prolong life is really an inability to let go on the human's part.

We had a collie/german shepard mix when I was a kid. He was about 12 years old, I think, when he just deteriorated. He was groggy, and ran into things; just suffering. My Dad, who as always such a tough, grumpy bastard (you're much nicer now, Dad) couldn't bring himself to "put him down" (euphonisms help), so he asked one of my older brothers to do it. That dog did not like guns at all. He saw them, and he hid, but he wasn't in a position to hide this time. I remember hearing the shot (I don't think anyone watched), and I had mixed emotions. I was mad at my brother for killing our dog, there had to be another way, but I gave him credit for having the guts to do what I did not. I wasn't any good at handling a gun anyway, but I still wouldn't have had the guts.

My Rat Terrier is a year old and full of energy. I have no problem spending a grand or so to fix him, should something happen. But when it's time, it's time. I'm sure I won't have the courage to shoot him, but I certainly hope I have the courage to "put him down". It's a price we have to pay for the years of enjoyment they give us.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #27 of 29 Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 2:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle
Holy %$#,

You know, not many of us "enjoy" going to the dentist either, but as parents and/or dog owners it's up to you to make decisions for the ones whom you're responsible for taking care of. If you own a dog that means taking them for their vaccinations and making sure they have their preventives such as heart worm meds. My dogs actually love going to the vet, but I try to make everything a positive experience and they trust that their owner will always do what is right.

I wonder what it is that would trigger so much anger over putting any animal down? I guess it's just more comforting to think that in a Doctor's office, it's a more "sterile" setting. Shooting your dog can be as humane, if not more so, if done correctly. But I'm more in favor of using injection, simply because 1) I really don't think I could kill my dog - or if I did, I think it would scar me for life and 2) I would not be able to live with myself should I flinch and need to use more than 1 shot - I couldn't watch him suffer for even an instant. So, IMO I'm more likely to go injection than anything else to lessen the chances of making a mistake, not because I believe one is more or less humane than the other, if done correctly.
I think the anger comes in when discussing shooting, because of the level of violence in the act itself. Shooting is considered taboo in our society where we have more societal structure (ceremony) for things like this, and it's percieved to be more controlled and civilized when done in a Doctor's office. There is also the current atmosphere of taking away the rights and abilities of people to do things for themselves, and so in part this is viewed as something "best left to the experts".
I don't think it's something that should cause anyone to personally attack, or try to discredit someone over however. There's too much of that going around IMO.
This discussion does deserve comparison to the way we treat our own deaths, and the suffering many of us are forced to endure so as not to break from social expectations. Personally I would take a bullet before living in a coma for the rest of my life - but it's not even an option that I'm allowed to have - THAT should cause the anger, I think.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #28 of 29 Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:25 pm

For one thing I'm not sure why the hijacking was deemed appropriate when someone was sharing how their best friend just went through surgery and it cost a few thousand dollars, to then be followed up with
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT "I won't spend thousands on a dog. I'll bet I love my dog as much as anyone but taking the dog to the vet dozen's of times isn't something she's going to enjoy.
I found your comments innapropriate and offensive. Do I feel anger over putting an animal down? Nah, sometimes it's necessary, sad, but necessary.

I'd also say that the comment, "
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT Some vets don't use the FDA controlled drugs (cost, control requirements because of abuse potential are deterrents to use of these drugs). Lethal injection without these drugs looks good but feels bad; kind of like the horror stories about people having surgery in the operating room while they couldn't move but were wide awake.
is wreckles and again doesn't have anything to do with the original thread and does very little to validate that using a .50 cent bullet on your dog is better than spending $3K on vet bills and a half a dozen visits to the vet's office. If your animal is beyond help and deals with pain and sickness, then sure, help them find an escape from a life of pain. If it's an orthopedic trauma or something that can be fixed through medical treatment and therapy then hurray for those who place more value on the well being of the animal who depends on their owner over themselves for living a full life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT Having re-read my post I can see how you assumed that I never have vet visits.
The world is full of people who lack the responsibility to take care of their pets apropriately. I do the volunteer thing with animal shelters and have seen too much of animal neglect and have very little patience for people who shrug off their responsibilities. So your dog is showing signs of a tumor growth and you're assuming that it doesn't bother the animal and that because the animal doesn't like the Vet you won't have them treated or looked at for this reason, plus it may cost some money. Let's just say we worship in different churches.

To make it clear, I do not subscribe to trying to keep anyone alive when it is clearly their time to move on, human, or animal. At the same time, when someone who is relying on me needs medical attention and it's appropriate, then yes, I'll do my part and see that they get the medical attention they need. Hopefully the preventative heartworm treatments and such will keep them healthy so that it doesn't cost thousands. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, eh? I do believe in taking my animals in for regular checkups and vacinations. The small amount of extra money it costs is negligable, not even the cost of a night out. For those who can't afford major medical treatments for their dogs, there are programs that can help. If people can't afford or unwilling to pay for the small stuff, then they shouldn't own a dog, get a fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 This discussion does deserve comparison to the way we treat our own deaths, and the suffering many of us are forced to endure so as not to break from social expectations. Personally I would take a bullet before living in a coma for the rest of my life - but it's not even an option that I'm allowed to have - THAT should cause the anger, I think.
Yeah me too, but our society is funny about stuff like that. There is an ever growing lack of common sense in the world. And while I would agree there is a place for this discussion, I don't think it has any place here, in a thread celebrating the life of one man's best friend healing from an accident, just as the funeral of one of my fallen breathren is no place to place an anti-war protest.

Quote:
"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men..." ~ St. Francis of Assisi, Roman Catholic friar, founder of the Franciscans order

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi, Indian Statesman and Philosopher

"All that breathes is precious. Who is to say that the suffering of an animal is less worthy of solace than the pain of man? The spark of life is no dimmer simply because it is encased in fur or leather." ~ Anonymous
Quote:
Well, aren't you kind?
Yes, yes I am actually.

Last edited by Seattle; Aug 23rd, 2007 at 12:11 am.
post #29 of 29 Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 2:17 pm

Hey John -
Our best to you and your friend. Understand. Have spent similar without batting an eyelash. Ain't nuttin like a great dog!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in