Portable Generators - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:36 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Portable Generators

Okay,

I need to know what is the best portable generator out there. Living along the Gulf means the possibility of hurricanes and a loss of electricity for long term. We looked into getting a whole house unit installed, but they wanted $12K just to install the $3K unit that would run on natural gas and kick on automatically. So, I am thinking about going with a gasoline portable unit, but know nothing about them.

Best brand
Size
Features
any other info you can share would be appreciated.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 11:02 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

post #3 of 44 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 11:20 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Thanks Raffy,

But why this one, is it the best brand, size, have the best features, etc etc etc.

As you can see I am looking for info and education on these, so photos don't help much, but reasons for purchasing this one would.

What or how much will this one run, for how long, etc?

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #4 of 44 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 11:56 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

I tried to stay within budget. I would have liked an electronic ignition model but that adds $s. The size is manageable and I can pick it up by myself if I have to. Although in a few years I will need help.

It starts quickly and is quieter compared to some of the others I have been around. Plus it has several outlets. 4 standard 110 of which 2 are GFCI.

Here you go:

Assembled Depth (In Inches) : 38.34 In.
Assembled Height (In Inches) : 27.39
Assembled Weight (In LBS) : 159
Assembled Width (In Inches) : 26.32
Automatic Idle Control : No
Automatic Voltage Regulation : No
Battery Charger With Cables : No
Engine Horsepower : 10 HP
Fuel Tank Capacity (Gal) : 6 Gal
Fuel Gauge : No
Fuel Type : Gasoline
Generator Specs - Engine Type : Industrial Ohv/ohc
Height : 27.39 In.
Horsepower : 10 HP
Hour Meter : No
ITEM DEPTH (In decimal format) : 24.25 In.
ITEM HEIGHT (In decimal format) : 22.88 In.
ITEM WEIGHT (In decimal format) : 159
ITEM WIDTH (In decimal format) : 19.65 In.
Low Oil Shut Down : Yes
Osha Required GFCI Outlets : No
Output Receptacles : 1 L14-20R, 4 5-20R
Rated Wattage : 5000 Watt
Recommended Oil & Capacity : 30 Sae
Run Time @ 1/2 Load (Hr./Tank) : 12 Hours per Tank
Sound Decibels : 78 dB
Start Type : Manual
Surged Wattage : 6250 Watt
Weight : 159 Lbs

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #5 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:59 am

This doesn't answer your question, but I wonder if one of our electrical geniuses can help with something....

When the power went out, my dad used to cut the main circuit breaker and run a home-brew cable from the generator output to one of our normal GFI outlets in the house. All of the outlets in the house were charged thereby.

Is this risky business or a slick solution?
post #6 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 1:44 am

12k to install a whole house gen. is a rip off. My dad bought one from Home Depot and it came with instructions on how to wire it up to the existing breaker box. He did it himself then contracted a guy to come out and look at then do the inttial run in of the unit. I think he said he was charged $300-$500 for that service
post #7 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 2:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
This doesn't answer your question, but I wonder if one of our electrical geniuses can help with something....

When the power went out, my dad used to cut the main circuit breaker and run a home-brew cable from the generator output to one of our normal GFI outlets in the house. All of the outlets in the house were charged thereby.

There are a four problems with this method:

A standard GFCI outlet is only 15 or 20 amps, so would only safely carry 1800 watts for 15 amps, or 2400 watts for 20 amps.

The GFCI circuit will probably not protect against a ground fault.

If plugged into a 120 volt outlet, you are only supplying one "leg" of the house circuit. Homes are wired 240 volts, with 120 volts from each leg to neutral. Power applied "backwards" to one leg will only power other 120 volt outlets on that same leg, usually about half the home outlets if wired properly.

If all the 240 volt breakers are not turned off, then if one of the 240 volt appliances turns on (range, furnace, water heater, etc.) it could be damaged by voltage applied to only one leg of it's supply, and if a high load, will trip the breaker for the outlet the generator is attached too.

I had a generator I used a few times, would turn off the main breaker and had a heavy extension cord that plugged into the 240 volt generator outlet the other end plugged into the dryer connection. The danger with that was that if the cord is plugged into the generator but the dryer plug is not plugged in, there would be 240 volts on the dryer end plug if the generator was running, likewise, if the dryer connection was plugged in and the generator plug unplugged, there would be voltage on the generator end plug if the main breaker was switched back on when the power returned. Just have to be very aware of this when using it. I have the generator here in TN now, and will add a connection at the power panel for it before winter since the dryer connection is too far away from where I would run the generator.

Another reasonably safe method would be to turn off the main breaker, remove the front of the breaker box, remove the wires from one of the 240 volt breakers that is large enough to handle the generator rating, wire the generator to that breaker, turn off all the other 240 volt breakers, start the generator, then turn on the breaker it is attached to. That will supply all 120 volt breakers in the home.

If you have a rather large generator, this will not work well, as you could only supply the home with the amount of amperage the breaker attached too will pass.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 2:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Okay,

I need to know what is the best portable generator out there. Living along the Gulf means the possibility of hurricanes and a loss of electricity for long term. We looked into getting a whole house unit installed, but they wanted $12K just to install the $3K unit that would run on natural gas and kick on automatically. So, I am thinking about going with a gasoline portable unit, but know nothing about them.

Best brand
Size
Features
$12K just for setting it up is pretty outrageous!

Check Northern Tool www.northerntool.com

They have a good range of generators, from small portables, to large diesel units. They also have the automatic switch over boxes etc. for hook ups.

The key is SAFETY! You want to be absolutely sure the main home breaker is off before hooking up a generator, also if the generator is not large enough to power any of the large systems such as furnace, range, dryer, etc. to be sure these breakers are also off before starting up the generator. When power returns, be absolutely sure the generator is disconnected before turning the main breaker back on.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 6:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Generators

A couple of years ago when a hurricane hit Port Lavaca (where my parents lived) I bought a Lincoln welding machine that also puts out 9000 watts of backup power.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...et.asp?p=45753

Kinda noisy,runs 8 hours on a tank

My dad ran it 16-20 hours a day for two weeks until power was restored.

There are cheaper,quieter ones out there. But this is one nice welder also.

Dan Martin (hoping I don't need to use it this year)
Houston
post #10 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 9:38 am

Talking Generator needs

Quote:
Okay,

Best brand
Size
Features
Ok Lonewuff

You said how much you DID NOT want to spend
what is your budget ?

Are there medical concerns that would warrant a whole house capable gen set ?
IE respirators dialliassias machines

What loads do you NEED and what loads would you WANT ?
IE laptop desktop AC lights stove microwave waterheater .......

these are questions i would ask a potential customer.......
answer these and help us narrow down your choices by the need you have.

Ridesalot

2005 LT "The grey one with the bugs on it."
post #11 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 10:35 am

Quote:
Okay,

Best brand
Size
Features
Maybe the best answer is, "it depends." You need to define what kind of load you want to put on it. Keep in mind that a standard 200-Amp house service gives you an equivalent maximum capacity of 48 kW. That's a big bad generator if you had to buy one that large. During an emergency, you can get by with a smaller unit and not run certain high Wattage apparati such as A/C (8-10 kW), electric furnace (same), electric water heater (5-6 kW), oven. electric stove, spa heater, etc. If you can live without these for the duration, and just run lights, TV/radio, microwave oven, refigerator/freezer and other smaller devices, I'd go with something between 7 and 10 kW in size. If you have a well for water (like I do), add power needed to run that (mine is a 3HP pump, another 2.5 kW). Anyway, take all the things you want to keep running and estimate how big a generator you might need. Buy one that exceeds your requirements to allow for starting currents in motor loads or unanticipated lights, etc.

You'll want to tap it into your service box provided there is a way to disconnect the power grid (some houses do not). I'd run 220V output (with ground return) of the generator into the main panel via a dual 40A or 50A breaker in order to connect both phases of the 220V bus (Half of your 120V house circuits are on one phase, half are on the other).

During an outage, disconnect input grid and all high Wattage loads before connecting the generator. Be extra careful if you use a suicide connector (male plug to generator) that might be hot when the mains are back on. A hard-wired connection is preferred. It might be in your best interest to get an licensed electrician to set this up it for you so insurance will pay out should someone get electrocuted (God forbid).

Good luck!

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i
post #12 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 11:48 am

Quote:
Okay,

Best brand
Size
Features
OK,

If you are really concerned about losing power for a day or two, you will need power. Amps x Voltage = KW (15 A x 120V = 1800 Watts).

You'll want to power most of your appliances (fridge / freezer) and AC.

I looked at the LOWES options check out this link:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...il=&lpage=none

12 KW for $3700.00. This is basically 100 amps at 120 (50 @ 240). Should work for the entire house.

PLEASE take the advice of others to have a licensed electrician do the install. I know of Linemen that will not work on wires if they hear generators. They will check to see if they are wired correctly (separate panel, etc). There is always a risk of back-feeding the grid. Not a good thing if youíre on the ladder connecting wires.

Anyway, I've been looking myself, but, since my neighbors bought theirs last year, I'm pretty confident we won't lose power for a few more.

Good Luck

Joe
post #13 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 11:53 am

Bad Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
I looked at the LOWES options check out this link:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...il=&lpage=none
Looks like they don't want you to link.

It's their item number Item #: 37304 (Kohler
12,000-Watt (LP) / 10,400-Watt (NP) Generator with Automatic Transfer Switch, Air-Cooled).

23.6 HP Kohler engine

Pick it up at Lowes of Tomball TX.

Joe
post #14 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:23 pm

I do not own a generator, but I like the ones that will run on natural gas. Rarely do you lose natural gas service. Also, during an extended outage, you do not have to worry about finding a gas station and lugging gas cans every day to feeds the generator. Also, I would assume that the gas generators will require more maintenance such as fuel stabilizers.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #15 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 1:18 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridesalot
Ok Lonewuff

You said how much you DID NOT want to spend
what is your budget ?

Are there medical concerns that would warrant a whole house capable gen set ?
IE respirators dialliassias machines

What loads do you NEED and what loads would you WANT ?
IE laptop desktop AC lights stove microwave waterheater .......

these are questions i would ask a potential customer.......
answer these and help us narrow down your choices by the need you have.
Thanks,

I would like to keep one AC unit running, a few lights, refridgerator, chest freezer, and a computer. TV would be nice to keep tabs on weather. This is the unit I am thinking about:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

We were originally looking at the natural gas one because of the auto feature and so we wouldn't have to lug gas, but for $12K I will mount a gas tank on my trailer.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #16 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 1:20 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegottberg
Looks like they don't want you to link.

It's their item number Item #: 37304 (Kohler
12,000-Watt (LP) / 10,400-Watt (NP) Generator with Automatic Transfer Switch, Air-Cooled).

23.6 HP Kohler engine

Pick it up at Lowes of Tomball TX.

Joe

Joe,

This looks amazingling like what I was talking about getting originally, only smaller. This isn't portable and needs to be hooked up to gas, which is what the $12K was all about???

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #17 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 1:22 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
A couple of years ago when a hurricane hit Port Lavaca (where my parents lived) I bought a Lincoln welding machine that also puts out 9000 watts of backup power.

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...et.asp?p=45753

Kinda noisy,runs 8 hours on a tank

My dad ran it 16-20 hours a day for two weeks until power was restored.

There are cheaper,quieter ones out there. But this is one nice welder also.

Dan Martin (hoping I don't need to use it this year)
Houston
Hey Dan,

This shows how little you know about me. Grif would shoot you for even thinking about talking me into buying a welder. Oh boy the fun I could have.

I am alergic to tools Dan...they always cause me problems.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #18 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 1:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hey Dan,

This shows how little you know about me. Grif would shoot you for even thinking about talking me into buying a welder. Oh boy the fun I could have.

I am alergic to tools Dan...they always cause me problems.
Jerry, is that the same Grif that can't go back to the Stagecoach Inn because of the strip show he put on outside? or the grif that didn't tell us about the fireworks show at TanTarA until too late to change plans?

dan
post #19 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 1:30 pm

Talking generator for sale...

somewhere in this pic is a gennerator for sale...(or maybe its the damned boat??!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	generator.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	13731  

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #20 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 1:54 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Jerry, is that the same Grif that can't go back to the Stagecoach Inn because of the strip show he put on outside? or the grif that didn't tell us about the fireworks show at TanTarA until too late to change plans?

dan
Unfortunately...same Grif.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #21 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 1:55 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
somewhere in this pic is a gennerator for sale...(or maybe its the damned boat??!)
Certainly got my current flowing again.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #22 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 2:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

generator

Try Sam's Club

nice 10KW to 16KW for $3000-$4000

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...08&prDeTab=2#A

dan
post #23 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 2:09 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Try Sam's Club

nice 10KW to 16KW for $3000-$4000

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...08&prDeTab=2#A

dan
Doesn't look very portable to me Dan.

I tried to go that route in the beginning, which is the reason for this thread. They want $12K to run the gas line and electric to install these monsters and they are smaller than the portable I am currently looking at.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #24 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 2:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

I tried to go that route in the beginning, which is the reason for this thread. They want $12K to run the gas line and electric to install these monsters and they are smaller than the portable I am currently looking at.
Oops! didn't read very closely. I look at these every August and keep putting it off. That is a nice unit you are considering. I REALLY want to be able to run the bottom floor a/c unit after a storm. It's just a matter of time for those of us in Tejas.

dan
post #25 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire

Slick as in an easy way to get someone killed or burn your house down.

B D R
post #26 of 44 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 9:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Check with your local electric utility. They should be happy (and pleasantly surprised) when you contact them for advice/guidance. They may even have a pamphlet, drawings, etc., for you or your electrician to work from.

A few years ago I had an electrician install a whole-house bypass switch so I could easily and safely run a generator during power outages. I think it is generically called a "knife blade" switch, or something similar. An electrician will know what it is.

In my setup, I throw the big switch, start the generator, and then plug it into a 50-amp outlet on the outside of the house. Because the bypass switch is rated for 200 amps, I can use the circuit breakers to power various rooms or appliances as needed. My 7500-watt generator will run anything in the house (not all at once, of course) except for the clothes dryer and the heat pump. That's not an issue since we don't need to do laundry during power outages and we have alternate sources of heat.

A whole-house standby unit would be ideal, but is much more expensive as others have said.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #27 of 44 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 1:03 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
There are a four problems with this method:
This is exactly what I was expecting to see from you. Thanks David!
post #28 of 44 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 1:40 am

Quote:

The ad says:
Portable unit with power to start a 5 ton A/C unit, includes transfer switch with 16 circuits protected
16 Gallon Fuel tank provides 10 hours of run time at half load
Includes: pre-wired 50 amp manual transfer switch, 15 ft power cord, and outdoor connection box
Nice amount of power, HOWEVER, to use it like they suggest you'll still need to have it wired up just like the whole house standbys. (notice the X-fer switch and other wiring it comes with)
16 gallons gone in 10 hours at HALF load, running a 5 ton A/C is gonna be more than half load.
Forget the natural gas if that is what the 12k cost was about...go with the LP version. What the standby generators do for you is give you auto switch over when power goes out, they also start the engine and run it for a few minutes each week to keep the engine in shape. And they have a trickle battery charger to keep the battery topped off.
post #29 of 44 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 9:39 am

Gen sets

Quote:
Thanks,

I would like to keep one AC unit running, a few lights, refridgerator, chest freezer, and a computer. TV would be nice to keep tabs on weather. This is the unit I am thinking about:

We were originally looking at the natural gas one because of the auto feature and so we wouldn't have to lug gas, but for $12K I will mount a gas tank on my trailer.

This may do the trick !
cycle usage of the ac unit will help keep you on track

if you think you will see more than once a year usage try looking at the line of generators HONDA has these are the best all round bargain.

Long lasting , stable voltage , quiet, not oil sucking briggs and strattons, quiet , and oh did i mention quiet...

sometimes in a situation like a disaster you don't want to broadcast the fact that you have a generator with a noisey generator...hmmm kind of like bikes with loud pipes ....

But if you are looking for a generator for occasional use (outages) the one
you have selected will serve you well.

Ridesalot

2005 LT "The grey one with the bugs on it."
post #30 of 44 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 10:09 am

Grey Ghost's pilot there has a good method!

Whatever you do - please, do make sure you do fully disconnect from the grid before you go on generator.

Last thing you want to do is kill some utility worker up line from you as he's trying to get things back to normal again.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #31 of 44 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 12:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Grey Ghost's pilot there has a good method!

Whatever you do - please, do make sure you do fully disconnect from the grid before you go on generator.

Last thing you want to do is kill some utility worker up line from you as he's trying to get things back to normal again.
If you're referring to me, that procedure (mentioned in an abbreviated manner) was shown to me by a meticulous electrician. You are 100% correct: it's not worth hurting or killing someone down the line just so I can have electricity at my house. You must disconnect from the grid!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #32 of 44 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 12:54 pm

Do you need electric?

Be cheaper to set yourself up to go without, or for 12 grand you could put is a medium sized solar operation.
The problem with gasoline generators is gasoline. How much you going to store, how often are you going to remember to rotate it? When your electric goes out so does the electric to pump the gas.
I have a 7,500 watt gasoline generator, but not for what your asking, I used it to power tools out away from the electric grid. (I sure would never spend thousands of dollars to save what $1-200.00 worth of food in the icebox?)
If our power goes out, I have water, food, propane (grill +stove) lanterns all can be done without electric, for a very long time.
Batteries recharge while running any vehicle with a simple power inverter. (Hell on my KLT at times I'll be charging the phone, laptop, still camera, running the cam corder and helmet cam all at the same time while bike is running)
For 12K I'll take the solar, that way it is an investment, into your home, there are state and federal tax breaks that go with it
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

Last edited by UncleRock; Aug 15th, 2007 at 1:00 pm.
post #33 of 44 Old Aug 15th, 2007, 1:49 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Thanks Rock,

But we are in a situation (wife's occupation) that means we have to have power to run computers here at the house. When the big storm comes we have to batten down and dig in, plus we feed our six large dogs a raw diet, so at any one time there is going to be around $3K worth of meat in the freezer that I would hate to have to replace.

I have been reading a lot of these suggestions and the biggest expense with the whole house unit was the gas line from the meter to the unit (almost $7K) along with a bigger meter and regulators etc etc etc. I just emailed the company and asked them to re-bid the job with a propane tank and unit, so we will see what that turns up. They can put the tank a heck of a lot closer to the unit than the gas meter and I don't have to worry about the gas being turned off.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #34 of 44 Old Aug 18th, 2007, 11:36 pm

I can't remember the site but someone has small solar backup rigs-- PV panel,inverter and battery(s) on a small two wheeled cart. Cost was higher than a gas unit but there is no ongoing maintenence or fuel costs. Storing or even finding gas post storm is problematic. The lack of noise would make them easier to live with. Wish I could be more help.

Jim
post #35 of 44 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 1:00 am

I have a Honda 5K generator and had an electrician install a panel to handle it. When the power is out, I connect the Honda to the backup panel, fire up the generator and I'm good to go. It runs my fridge, a bunch of lights and outlets, well pump, propane heater fan. I cook on a grill most of the time, so cooking isn't a big deal. What I like about the Honda is how rock solid it is. Every couple of years I have the dealer pick it up and service it. I wouldn't hesitate to get the same set up again.

Total cost was about $2500.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #36 of 44 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 11:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
I didn't notice a generator in that pic? Are you sure there was one there?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #37 of 44 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 11:41 am

Quote:
Thanks Rock,

But we are in a situation (wife's occupation) that means we have to have power to run computers here at the house. When the big storm comes we have to batten down and dig in, plus we feed our six large dogs a raw diet, so at any one time there is going to be around $3K worth of meat in the freezer that I would hate to have to replace.

I have been reading a lot of these suggestions and the biggest expense with the whole house unit was the gas line from the meter to the unit (almost $7K) along with a bigger meter and regulators etc etc etc. I just emailed the company and asked them to re-bid the job with a propane tank and unit, so we will see what that turns up. They can put the tank a heck of a lot closer to the unit than the gas meter and I don't have to worry about the gas being turned off.
You could run all that stuff on solar and go with propane freezer. There are gas frig units down along Dunkard creek that have been in continued service since the 30's (they have no moving parts, except door hinge and latch)
I have always looked for ways not to be depending on a government or corp. to be in control of my feed or shelter needs.
Rock
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #38 of 44 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 12:34 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Well, Friday I cut a check for the whole house generator, however, thanks to all the suggestions here, I am going with propane instead of natural gas. They are installing the propane tank and generator for less than it would have been with the gas. Thanks for all the great advise guys!!!

Obviously Grif didn't see the suggestions about me getting a welder.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #39 of 44 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Obviously Grif didn't see the suggestions about me getting a welder.
OH, I saw it all right. But, I was in my own personal emergency zone. Contemplating spending the weekend with the demon child grandaughter. She's the most beautiful 2 year old you ever laid eyes on..... and she's possessed.

Just got back and it was as bad as I imagined it was going to be. I don't remember ever screaming the word, "no", as much as I did. My wife is still snot slinging drunk and I'm sitting here with that last nerve quivering.

If anyone hears of an incident on a Southwest Airplane twixt San Antonio and Dallas, that would be my grandaughter.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #40 of 44 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 4:05 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
OH, I saw it all right. But, I was in my own personal emergency zone. Contemplating spending the weekend with the demon child grandaughter. She's the most beautiful 2 year old you ever laid eyes on..... and she's possessed.

Just got back and it was as bad as I imagined it was going to be. I don't remember ever screaming the word, "no", as much as I did. My wife is still snot slinging drunk and I'm sitting here with that last nerve quivering.

If anyone hears of an incident on a Southwest Airplane twixt San Antonio and Dallas, that would be my grandaughter.
Oh come on now Grif she can't be that bad..... NO Wait !!! She is "YOUR" kin OK Never mind I believe ya

Stevie Shreeve
post #41 of 44 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 6:28 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots

ROTFLMAO. Now imagine you HAVE to take custody and have her living with you 100% Now wouldn't that be fun?

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #42 of 44 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 6:47 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

You just keep swatting that bee hive Andy...just keep swatting.

Jerry
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #43 of 44 Old Aug 19th, 2007, 8:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
ROTFLMAO. Now imagine you HAVE to take custody and have her living with you 100% Now wouldn't that be fun?
It would be fun, we'd follow your and Lanette's road and set some boundaries for the leetle monster.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #44 of 44 Old Aug 20th, 2007, 8:24 am

Deadman wiring

Anyone who knows this stuff will tell you that what I describe below is wrong and dangerous. No licenced electrician will do this. The utility company linesmen will potentially sue you, and the "helpers" at Home Depot will say "don't tell me what you are doing" when you start to describe it.

With all that said many folks around here, myself included, have a $500-1000 portable gas generator. To connect to household circuits you need an outdoor or garage/barn 240 outlet (these look like standard electric dryer hookups) and a "deadman" connector. (I have 240 outlets in shop and barn for woodplaner, welder, etc. but more urban folks often put one in the garage.)

The connection between the generator and house hold wiring is by making up a "deadman". Good name. It has a male plug at both ends. One end goes to the generator, the other end to the 240v outlet and power is back fed into the house. This set up is not fool-proof, and some would say only a fool would use one. Thing is, it works and it is relatively cheap. You just have to follow some procedures to keep from causing problems.

Rather than describe further here, you can find this kind of setup on the internet, or private message me and I'll describe it further.

QUOTE=midwilshire]This doesn't answer your question, but I wonder if one of our electrical geniuses can help with something....

Is this risky business or a slick solution?[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in