Don't Speed in VA especially . . . - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 6:12 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Don't Speed in VA especially . . .

if you are pregnant & on the way to the hospital!

Clickity Click

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 6:37 am

We are no better than China

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
if you are pregnant & on the way to the hospital!

Clickity Click
A buddy of mine lives in the Roanoke area and told me about this communistic from of control on our highways and biways.

He said that at the end of the year Va will asses your driving record and can penalize you even further! Not sure about that but maybe someone can elaborate on that.

Tennessee Highway Patrol is doing the same thing on the Gap, they are bullying the motorist for silly things!

For all of you LEO's on this Forum, don't be a prick.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #3 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 8:13 am

Greed

Here we go again, It's all about getting some more money to spend on PORK !

One of these days someone will sacrifice their life in order to show their outrage at these kinds of things...

I just hope the person they kill is one who deserves it instead of an innocent.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 9:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998

For all of you LEO's on this Forum, don't be a prick.
Gee, Brett, you mean like this?

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -ó but making great time.
post #5 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Question

Brett, can you elaborate on what you mean by "We are no better than China" ???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #6 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:07 am

It's really strange that they only impact in-state drivers. That does not make sense! (Chewbaca defense ).

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #7 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:15 am

Quote:
A buddy of mine lives in the Roanoke area and told me about this communistic from of control on our highways and biways.
the couple of reports I read were about people doing 56 in a 35 zone, In my book these folks are speeding, pretty close to twice the posted speed limit, so sorry, no contest!. lady who was giveing birth, shouldn't be driving, should have called an ambulance, they would have driven with blues and twos.

Given all that, I think the fines are a little excessive, and should be applied to all, not just state residents.

Ta ta old bean.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #8 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:47 am

Smile Speed in VA

I would support their approach if they included out of state drivers as well.
For me this issue is this:

Good Roads (and bridges) are not cheap. Money has to be raised somehow to pay for the good roads we all demand. Is it better to have everyone driving pay for the road with additions to gas tax or to have a few drivers volunteer to pay for them by driving outside the law.

Every tax has some inequity, but this approach penalizes the guilty and may cause them to slow down. Not a bad trade off in my mind.

Karl
post #9 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards
lady who was giveing birth, shouldn't be driving, should have called an ambulance, they would have driven with blues and twos.
Lots of rural areas and small, two lane roads. I know where I live that an ambulance can take up to 30 minutes to reach you and two train tracks with no bridges. If there's a train, or two, you're screwed. Also, it's a tourist area, you add RV's, sightseers and gravel trucks.

I can be to the hospital in 15 minutes hauling ass and driving recklessly

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 11:09 am

Yepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlash
Gee, Brett, you mean like this?
That's a good one!

I am glad that I am not an LEO, for the most part they do a good job and it is always the one's who act like the south end of a mule that makes the news!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #11 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 11:16 am

Let me splain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Brett, can you elaborate on what you mean by "We are no better than China" ???
By that statment I mean that from what I have been seeing and reading about regarding the VSP and the THP is nothing short of being Communistic!

Some of the LEO's on this Forum maybe can help me here; do ALL of the LEO's that are off duty drive their cars at the speed limit? I doubt it!

Yes, 31 in a 30 is over the speed limit! But let's be real. I would have much better things to do than go to court for a 31 in a 30! I hoped that I would be out there busting someone doing 90 in a 65 or someone trying to sell drugs!

Again, I know that most of the LEO's I am sure use prudence when it comes to stopping people for speeding.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #12 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 11:25 am

Quote:
lady who was giveing birth, shouldn't be driving, should have called an ambulance, they would have driven with blues and twos.
Yeah, how dare you try and take care of yourself. You don't have the right. Call 911, and wait, and hope that the government services show up on time. I mean, hey, it's only a baby.

How about a little self-reliance? Just because you're going faster than the posted speed isn't reckless. People should be judged on the reasonableness of their actions, not one-size-fits-all statutes that make no room for a human brain with basic intelligence.

When a government takes over a peopleís economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #13 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
How about a little self-reliance? Just because you're going faster than the posted speed isn't reckless. People should be judged on the reasonableness of their actions, not one-size-fits-all statutes that make no room for a human brain with basic intelligence.
56 in a 35 zone, with contractions every minute/minutes....... might make driving a car a little dangerous? 60% over the limit? I guess we have a difference of opinion here, and am happy to leave it right there. So I'll stick with my opionion, and you are welcome to yours.

anyway, hows the weather where you are? hope you are getting lots of sunshine and nice riding weather, enjoy!

Rgds
Mike

post #14 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 12:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink

Quote:
anyway, hows the weather where you are? hope you are getting lots of sunshine and nice riding weather, enjoy!
Temps will be in the low 100s again... At least here in Southern California it is a dry heat, much easier to handle than what they are experiencing in New York after all that rain.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #15 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 12:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
By that statment I mean that from what I have been seeing and reading about regarding the VSP and the THP is nothing short of being Communistic!
Did you mean totalitarian, where the "state" regulates nearly every aspect of public and private behavior (I stole this from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totalitarian )?
I would agree that it is a sad moment when your government decides "what is best for you", and that goes beyond the helmet and seat belt laws. Unfortunately laws are designed to cater to the lowest common denominator...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #16 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 12:31 pm

Quote:
56 in a 35 zone, with contractions every minute/minutes....... might make driving a car a little dangerous? 60% over the limit? I guess we have a difference of opinion here, and am happy to leave it right there. So I'll stick with my opionion, and you are welcome to yours.

I'm not saying her actions were reasonable; I'm simply saying there should be a reasonable measure made of people's actions, not a "you broke the law" and that's it.

A little cooler here in southern OC than in Van Nuys. We may break 90. Finally got on the bike again today, after having a software upgrade that took a week. Bike is running better, and is so much nicer to ride than that RX330 I was driving all last week. Stay dry over there.

When a government takes over a peopleís economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #17 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 1:52 pm

Sweet Virginia....isn't the only one on that bandwagon:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucru/2007073...wg9vcOmcs_vTYC
post #18 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 2:05 pm

And just to be a little more upside down, read about a Virginia legislator who represents the area where my farm is who is taking on the Park Service for over agressive patroling of the parkway. http://www.swvatoday.com/comments/ra...kets/news/531/I believe this threaded started out as a warning to watch out in Virginia...........I'm convinced.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #19 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 5:54 pm

QUOTE=shadowofshoe]Sorry All !!!
Just heard about your "driver responsibility fines". My understanding of your soon to be enforce laws is this:

15 miles over the speed limit, say 85 in a 70 will cost you 6pts. and OVER $3000.00 US.

You also must pay a pt. tax of about $700.00 per year as long as points are active(5 yrs in speed)

Not using a turn signal when required has simular penalties including the 6 points.

This fines do not apply to out-of-staters.

The reason given for these is REVENUE AND ONLY REVENUE !!

Y'all better start calling someone!!
Mike[/QUOTE]

Hate to say I told But...I told ya!!!

Mike
post #20 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 6:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofshoe
Hate to say I told But...I told ya!!! Mike
Hey that's my line!
I wonder how long these laws will be in place before one of the legislators who helped pass it, has it levied at him/her? THAT will be interesting to watch!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #21 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 6:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
A little cooler here in southern OC than in Van Nuys. We may break 90. Finally got on the bike again today, after having a software upgrade that took a week. Bike is running better, and is so much nicer to ride than that RX330 I was driving all last week. Stay dry over there.
Will do our best to stay dry. Glad that we can agree to disagree, some folks here abouts take things all to serious like.
My big sister lives on VA beach, well not on the beach, but close too. I'll remind her and her husband Bob to keep within the speed limits. Molly is OK, but Bob is a little heavy on the old throttle pedal in his truck. I enjoy my trips to the US, and (touch wood) not been caught speeding yet, even though i do try to 'make progress' as they say on the advanced riding training and police training I've attended.

Glad to hear you can enjoy a bit of nice riding weather... Take care my friend.

Rgds
Mike

post #22 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Will do our best to stay dry. Glad that we can agree to disagree, some folks here abouts take things all to serious like.
Thanks Mike. I'm glad you didn't feel I was harassing you with my comments about being self-reliant. It was not directed at you, just a general comment that people should be ready to take care of themselves. Reading it after the fact, I can see how it could've been taken personally, and that wasn't my intent at all.

At least VA is honest about the reasons for the fines. Usually, they trot out something like "the safety of the children" or some other propaganda. I'm not sure I like the honest approach better, though.

Stay upright and dry (in order of importance).

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #23 of 24 Old Aug 13th, 2007, 8:31 pm

Yup, them elected officials. Waiting for the idiot we sent to congress to hold his next "Town Meeting" Got some questions for him that I think he doesn't want to hear or have to respond to in public.
Would advise you folks in Virginia to consider something on that line too.

Look on the bright side, next year is election year. If the folks you sent to the state house or to DC to look after your interests didn't do their jobs. Fire them. Problem is that sometimes the choices presented aren't too good and we end up going for the lesser of the evils. Time for a change.

B D R
post #24 of 24 Old Aug 14th, 2007, 1:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Would advise you folks in Virginia to consider something on that line too. Fire them. Problem is that sometimes the choices presented aren't too good and we end up going for the lesser of the evils. Time for a change.
The lesser of 2 evils is pretty much all I ever see. I wish there was a way to break this 2 party nightmare. Alas.

You're doing the right thing Gunny. Challenge them. Even though I think most of them are simply party puppets, some actually want to hear your opinions, at least until they've been elected a few times and have achieved enough influence that they don't need to be responsive to their constituents anymore.

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in