Some people just don't understand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 8:13 am Thread Starter

Some people just don't understand

So, I find out the other day that I wll need to go to Johnson City, Tn for a weekon business. I look at the map and see it is an easy two day ride from home and decide I can go on the bike. I mean, they are going to pay me 41 cents a mile to ride. what can be sweeter than that. As I explain my joy to the other folks in my area, they were shocked. Why would I want want to put all those mile on my bike and what about depreciation on it's value? I wasn't able to communicate to them the bliss of flying down the highway, crusie control set, the music playing. Or the thrill of sweeping through the curves or climbing up through the mountains and down into long valleys. I couldn't show them how the view of the world around them opens up a full 360 degrees when riding. So I smiled and went on my way, knowing the good time I will have on the ride

Oh well

PS. the oddest concern I heard: "How can you balance it for so long? "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 12:26 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Some folks just don't understand, even if they happen to own bikes of their own. I've seen many a garage queen where someone is more enthralled with the fantasy of cruising the open road than the reality of it. Oh well, it's a free country.

But it does remind me of a great comment I saw in someone's email signature: "Trying to describe riding to a non-rider is like trying to describe an orgasm to a virgin." That about covers it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 1:40 pm

...Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
"Trying to describe riding to a non-rider is like trying to describe an orgasm to a virgin."
...and I thought I knew what an orgasm was.

MAN, I CANT WAIT FOR MY FIRST ONE!!!

Warren
Chipley, FL
'05 LT - Gold
She was a fast machine, She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman I had ever seen -- [ac/dc]

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Yogi Berra

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 2:07 pm

Smile Your title about says it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixchard
they were shocked. Why would I want want to put all those mile on my bike and what about depreciation on it's value?

I want to put those miles on my bike because that is it's value!

You're right, some people just don't understand, and most of those will never get it.

Have a great trip Richard!
I'm envious.

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 2:41 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixchard
I mean, they are going to pay me 41 cents a mile to ride. what can be sweeter than that.
sweeeet - approx $775+ for a nice roundtrip ride!!

Last Sunday I had to make a quick trip to Las Vegas - just under 700 miles round trip. Took the LT, averaged 46.4 mpg, and made the entire trip for about $48. Even in the extreme heat on the way home (114 degrees thru Baker, CA around 2:00 PM) it was still an enjoyable ride.

Some folks are just wired to be on 2-wheels - have a safe trip!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #6 of 7 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 6:41 pm

Took a 1,500 mile vacation on the bike just over a month ago. Great trip! These bikes are meant to ride.

Keith
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 11th, 2007, 7:19 pm

As the Jeep saying goes: "It's a Jeep thing. You wouldn't understand." Same goes for motorcycling.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in