They're Baaaaaack! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

Angry They're Baaaaaack!

The Sturgis Rally is in full swing.

For the next ten days there won't be getting any sleep.
Straight pipes, sirens, crowds, traffic will be murder.................. Sigh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8041292A.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	13540  

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:57 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman
The Sturgis Rally is in full swing.

For the next ten days there won't be getting any sleep.
Try counting all the sheep!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Maybe Wolly can help!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 2:27 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted

I was actually at an HD dealership today to buy a trunk rack for the GT. They had a live band and lots of posing and polishing going on. I parked my bug-splattered GT right out front in the middle of all the pretty bikes and ignored the odd looks. I then walked right past all the logo'd shot glasses, leather tassels, and HD dog bowls to the parts counter. When I asked the parts kid if the rack came in anything besides chrome, he just looked at me kinda funny.

Actually, the parts kid was pretty cool, even after I told him the rack was for a Beemer. He lamented that they didn't pay him enough to afford a Beemer, or an HD for that matter. No employee discounts, either.

As I passed the $48,000 Big Mike (bolt-on) "custom" chopper on my way out, I just shook my head and rode away grinning.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Aug 5th, 2007 at 2:36 am.
post #5 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 6:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Maybe Wolly can help!
...Naaaaaaaaaaa, this is the type of sheep I am

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #6 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 7:18 am

Hold your head high Mr Meese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese

I was actually at an HD dealership today to buy a trunk rack for the GT. They had a live band and lots of posing and polishing going on. I parked my bug-splattered GT right out front in the middle of all the pretty bikes and ignored the odd looks. I then walked right past all the logo'd shot glasses, leather tassels, and HD dog bowls to the parts counter. When I asked the parts kid if the rack came in anything besides chrome, he just looked at me kinda funny.

Actually, the parts kid was pretty cool, even after I told him the rack was for a Beemer. He lamented that they didn't pay him enough to afford a Beemer, or an HD for that matter. No employee discounts, either.

As I passed the $48,000 Big Mike (bolt-on) "custom" chopper on my way out, I just shook my head and rode away grinning.
I am surprised they noticed you as I am sure that the beer was flowing along with Steppenwolf playing loudly in the background. I am sure that the sun was shining off of their chrome and into their faces too!

Walk proudly and tell them boys to "put-up" of :shut-up"!

Oh yeah, there must have been a Hooters around because that was their next stop and we know that most of them can't ride far anyway!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #7 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 9:38 am

HD Riders

Interesting,here at the HD store I work at in Paducah,Ky,not very many posers,mostly riders,quite a contrast from the one I worked at inNaples,Fl.Lots of Sturgis bound riders stopped by in the last week,none of them on trailers either.Had one yesterday trying to trade hie 85 TourGlide with 98K miles on it.Fun to see bikes that are ridden,not just garage queens,although since I'm in sales,any reason you want one is a legitamate reason for me.Sales sure are strong this year,delivered 24 last month myself.Our store used to sell 40-60 a month,now 75-100.Lots of XL's being sold for trans. to work.55-60 mpg is a good reason to ride to work.
post #8 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 9:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Been there, done that...

Pretty fun mousetrap.

Being from Louisiana and having seen the darker side.... Once I got there, couldn't wait to leave.

Beautiful country, shared the ride with great friends.... THAT is what it's about.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:24 am Thread Starter

Sheep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Ohhhhhhh...................
You mean the black ones in the commercial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, they make way too much noise!

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #10 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:33 pm

I stopped at Paducah HD on my way to CCR last year. I was on my LT, pulling my Zenith trailer and wearing my Motoport gear. They were very nice folks. I even had a salesman walk out with me to talk about my LT and trailer setup. I didn't have to tell anyone I owned a HD to get them to talk to me . I did manage to find a t-shirt I couldn't live without .

I have been to a lot of HD dealerships and other v-twin cycle stores around the country and I can only remember having one remotely negative experience. That was West Coast Choppers in Long Beach. Even then the only problem I had was I couldn't get a salesman to talk to me. I guess my entourage wasn't big enough or I wasn't leaving a big enough trail of $1000 bills.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #11 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 5:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
...Naaaaaaaaaaa, this is the type of sheep I am
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 20 Old Aug 5th, 2007, 11:19 pm

wonder where they park all the trailers....

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #13 of 20 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 11:44 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
They had a live band and lots of posing and polishing going on.
ahhh - what riding a motorcycle is all about!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #14 of 20 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:29 pm

I kinda enjoy Sturgis but I didn't get to go this year. My wify will spend ONE day on the street and then it's time for something else.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #15 of 20 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
ahhh - what riding a motorcycle is all about!
I'd rather be hanging out with some friends having a good time, than be the lone sheep out in the middle of nowhere with the superiority complex.

JMTCW

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #16 of 20 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRich
Interesting,here at the HD store I work at in Paducah,Ky,not very many posers,mostly riders,quite a contrast from the one I worked at inNaples,Fl.Lots of Sturgis bound riders stopped by in the last week,none of them on trailers either.Had one yesterday trying to trade hie 85 TourGlide with 98K miles on it.Fun to see bikes that are ridden,not just garage queens,although since I'm in sales,any reason you want one is a legitamate reason for me.Sales sure are strong this year,delivered 24 last month myself.Our store used to sell 40-60 a month,now 75-100.Lots of XL's being sold for trans. to work.55-60 mpg is a good reason to ride to work.
If it's the Camarillo HD shop that Ken is talking about, it is one of the more poser-oriented hog holes I've visited. I went in there to see if they had the Ulysses on the floor. I should have called first, but then Julie and I would have missed the fun of pulling up on the LT and walking in with our technical riding gear. You'd think it was a scene out of "The Day the Earth Stood Still". I guess we looked like a couple of astronaut extras that accidentally walked onto the latest pirate movie set during a scene. The hottest topic that Saturday was the discount table with all the Officially sanctioned HD branded tchochkes to be moved out for new inventory.

Needless to say they didn't have a Ulysses in stock. In fact, there were only 2 Buells in the whole store, crammed in the far corner with no way to get a good look-sit. We chatted with one of the sales reps, I sat on a Sportster and we walked out giggling like we had just crashed a party. That's the only single brand HD shop I've ever been to, so I chalked it up to that fact. I've been to many others, but they sold other makes either on site of elsewhere in town. They weren't a fifth as boutique-y as this place. Too funny!

Getting back on topic. When I lived in the Denver area, you always knew when it was Sturgis week from the devoted hoard rolling North with their helmets strapped between their handlebars (no helmet law in CO). Mostly on I-25.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #17 of 20 Old Aug 6th, 2007, 1:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
I'd rather be hanging out with some friends having a good time, than be the lone sheep out in the middle of nowhere with the superiority complex.

JMTCW
Hmmmmmmmmmm - still thinking bout that one (I'm not superior, I'm just me).

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #18 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkramer
I should have called first, but then Julie and I would have missed the fun of pulling up on the LT and walking in with our technical riding gear. You'd think it was a scene out of "The Day the Earth Stood Still".
Last year I rode over to the HD place to get some tie down straps. (They're close by and what better place to get tie down straps? ) I walked in wearing my Savanah II suit. The salesmen couldn't resist . . . "Whada you need that getup fer? It ain't rainin'. Har.Har.Har."
post #19 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 11:37 am

I went to an H-D dealer north of Boston last February when they were having an open day. Parked the RT outside and had a good wander around the shop, including free coffee and donuts. The sales guy asked if we'd move our bike because more people were gathered around it than his bikes. Says it all...
post #20 of 20 Old Aug 7th, 2007, 8:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Actually, it was a store up in Tigard, OR.

And no, they're not all posers. But like any stereotype it's based on a certain amount of truth. And it's just such an easy target . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in