Left the laptop at home and did it all on the iPhone - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:13 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Left the laptop at home and did it all on the iPhone

I took a big chance a couple weeks ago. I left on an 11 day vacation
and left the MacBook Pro at home.

Having been tethered to a laptop for the past 12 years, I almost felt
naked leaving home for 11 days on the road without it.

Since this was an 11 day trip by motorcycle through TX, NM, CO, UT and
WY, not having the backpack with the laptop and associated gear was
appreciated. It allowed me to take one less bag for the trip and save
all that extra room in the topcase for other items.

I had decent AT&T service at nearly all locations, except Torrey, UT,
where there was NO service for any carrier. EDGE was usable in most
every location, including our campsite in Paonia, CO. It was nice to
answer a few important emails while on the road from the campsite. When
we got to Torrey, UT, it became interesting. The hotel has WiFi, but
there was no cell service in town. Interesting to surf the web and
check email, but not have any ability to call anyone. Makes for an
interesting case for Apple to include Cisco's VoIP client in a future
software update.

The only drawback was not having access to applications such as Word or
Excel. I received a spreadsheet while I was on the road and couldn't
provide updates via email. I had to take a couple hours, join a
concall, and go through the spreadsheet data with someone else on the
phone to get the info we needed.

Another issue was the way certain applications work. As I've discussed
before, Apple made a mistake by not making all applications "orientation
aware". Trying to type in portrait rather than landscape is a carpal
tunnel inspiring experience. Also, not having select/cut/paste
available made replying to certain emails more difficult than it needed
to be.

Battery life was pretty good. My Motorola SLVR would last about 2 days
per charge, and so did the iPhone. I purchased a Griffin car adapter
before the trip, and I was able to charge the phone while riding, so I
really never worried about it. The only close call was the 4 days
camping in Paonia, but again, charging from the motorcycle saved the day.

Interestingly enough, in Paonia, CO, only AT&T and Sprint had a signal
strength good enough to make a call. I had a TON of Verizon customers
using my phone to keep in touch with the family. I even had one person
borrow my iPhone to bid on an item on eBay and monitor it throughout the
day. When he won the item, he was also able to pay using PayPal with
the Safari browser. Pretty cool, or so I thought.

One real-world test that I wish didn't happen on the trip was my first
iPhone drop. The case is pretty scuffed up, but there is no damage to
the glass or anything else. Talk about your heart leaping out of your
chest as you watch the iPhone slip through your fingers and slide face
down on the pavement when walking across the parking lot.

When I got home, I did gravitate back to the laptop, but after 11 days
with only the iPhone, I can actually be pretty productive on the road
without the laptop. If Apple provides just a few more features and
applications, this will definitely be a candidate for a 100% replacement
for my laptop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I purchased a Griffin car adapter
before the trip, and I was able to charge the phone while riding, so I
really never worried about it.
Where did you put the pedals?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #3 of 19 Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 8:09 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

It was a hamster I had in the topcase that did all the work.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

post #4 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:12 pm

Iphone security exploits

Hi, Jeff. From another forum, you might be interested in this:

Exploiting the iPhone.

from

-----

To demonstrate these security weaknesses, we created an exploit for the Safari browser on the iPhone. We used an unmodified iPhone to surf to a malicious HTML document that we created. When this page was viewed, the payload of the exploit forced the iPhone to make an outbound connection to a server we controlled. The compromised iPhone then sent personal data includ- ing SMS text messages, contact information, call history, and voice mail information over this connection. All of this data was collected automatically and surreptitiously. After examination of the filesystem, it is clear that other personal data such as passwords, emails, and browsing his- tory could be obtained from the device. We only retrieved some of the personal data but could just as easily have retrieved any information off the device.

Additionally, we wrote a second exploit that performs physical actions on the phone. When we viewed a second HTML page in our iPhone, it ran the second exploit payload which forced it to make a system sound and vibrate the phone for a second. Alternatively, by using other API func- tions we discovered, the exploit could have dialed phone numbers, sent text messages, or re- corded audio (as a bugging device) and transmitted it over the network for later collection by a malicious party.

Sorry for not making the URLs hot links.

Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #5 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 1:23 pm

Ummmmm, sorry, I missed something between "vacation" and "spend hours a day on email and wanting to do spreadsheets". Heck, did you have a constant bluetooth hookup so you could listen to what was going on in the office while you were away?

Look up the definition of Work. Wait, here's one "Physical or mental effort or activity directed toward the production or accomplishment of something". If I logged all the time I "thought" about work "mental effort" I'd be putting longer days than possible cause I even dream about it.

You need to have a real vacation. Cell phone, wireless free zone for a couple of weeks.

Just wish I was different than you. I'll be at least taking my BlackBerry with me and my laptop for part of my "vacation". Oh well at least I can "work" by the pool and determine my own hours (except for conference calls and a quick plane trip).
post #6 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 1:41 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy165
Hi, Jeff. From another forum, you might be interested in this:

Exploiting the iPhone.
Both issues addressed in the 1.0.1 software update.

-
post #7 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 1:44 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDon
Ummmmm, sorry, I missed something between "vacation" and "spend hours a day on email and wanting to do spreadsheets". Heck, did you have a constant bluetooth hookup so you could listen to what was going on in the office while you were away?
No, not hours a day. But I did have one issue that required resolution that took a 30 minute concall to resolve. If I had the ability to edit the spreadsheet, it probably could have been done while I was in the shitter and then emailed back to the office in less than 10 minutes.

-
post #8 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 2:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Thanks for the review, Jeff. I'm ready to pick up an iPhone, but Dayle wants to wait until she can get an external keyboard for it. She's unhappy with her Palm, and would like to be able to leave the laptop but still be able to write and edit Office documents. Finding room for two laptops on the way to CCR is a real pain.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 3:06 pm

My 2 cents worth

From a non-techno geek (as opposed to ElJeffe) just joking, Jeff....it was really cool to be able check the weather forecasts and plan our routes from wherever we were at. Jeff did an awesome job of finding great roads combined with great weather. I was also able to check my e-mail on his iphone to make sure the world hadn't been taken over by aliens or anything.
Jeff signed a guy up for CCR and paid registration fees via the iphone while we were at Paonia. Blew my mind. But, that custom iphone cover you keep it in has to go....

Rango Springer
Dumas, TX
2000 K1200LTC Champagne
Livin' life in the fast lane on the high plains of West Texas!
post #10 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 3:11 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

The condom or the sock?

-
post #11 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 3:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Thanks for the review, Jeff. I'm ready to pick up an iPhone, but Dayle wants to wait until she can get an external keyboard for it. She's unhappy with her Palm, and would like to be able to leave the laptop but still be able to write and edit Office documents. Finding room for two laptops on the way to CCR is a real pain.

Check out the Samsung Q1 ultramobile pc. It is my desktop at the office, laptop at home, and mobile pc when I traveling. Only it is not a phone. Someone else make an ultramobile that is a GPS and Phone but I haven't seen it available anywhere yet. I don't want to buy it until I can touch it and play with it first.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #12 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 3:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
Check out the Samsung Q1 ultramobile pc.
Still no keyboard so it's out for Dayle, though it has Bluetooth so there may be options. Too bad it runs Windows though.

I wonder how well the GPS software works? I kinda like having a large touch screen, and I could run iTunes on it as well. Doubt it's waterproof, but there are things that can be done about that.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 4:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile

Quote:
Still no keyboard so it's out for Dayle, though it has Bluetooth so there may be options. Too bad it runs Windows though.

I wonder how well the GPS software works? I kinda like having a large touch screen, and I could run iTunes on it as well. Doubt it's waterproof, but there are things that can be done about that.
Windows is a major but other than that is has performed quite well, it is not water proof and has a 80 gig harddrive so I don't think it would be very useful mounted to a bike. The touch screen is not very good for viewing in bright sunlight when on batter power.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA

Don't Panic!
post #14 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 5:11 pm

I'm sorry Jeff, but smallness will always come with compromise as well. The iPhone may have saved you room, but just how much...really? My antique laptop is 12"x9"x1.5". So the iPhone actually saved you enough room for what? . . . another T-shirt or two?

I guess I'll just stay old-skool for now and "lug around" my laptop, cell phone, and 60GB iPod.

Admitedly, the iPhone is way cool. But it's not going to win many arguments on paper. The pros just don't out-weigh the cons, IMO.
post #15 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 6:20 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
FWIW three of our field technicians are using the new oqo 02 and are giving it great reviews. We are using the Verizon EVDO cards and have great luck with connectivity in the Denver metro area.

I know you would prefer to avoid Windows, but these things are compact and pretty cool. They are a little too small for me, but with the folding bluetooth keyboard as an accessory they are pretty usable.

The iPhone is tempting and I may well try one, but I am really happy with a compact laptop and a cell phone.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #16 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 7:30 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
There are a lot of great ultra-portable options out there these days. Until Apple comes out with a true tablet PC, Windows is the only option. I haven't had much time to do the research, or decide if it's worth some of the tradeoffs, but I do appreciate the various recommendations.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #17 of 19 Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 8:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

we have several people using the ogo also, they like it a lot. It has a lot more features than my Samsung.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA

Don't Panic!
post #18 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDon
You need to have a real vacation. Cell phone, wireless free zone for a couple of weeks.
I'm with you 100% on this one.
I love technology and all that jazz, but when I leave for vacation, I'm completely unplugged. Too bad the other 49 weeks of the year, I'm practically hardwired to the 'net.
Although a really small PC like an Iphone or similar would be cool to have in case there's a breakdown (I know, BMW's NEVER breakdown ) but otherwise, I'll just use my cell phone to call for help. But I'm not doing work while I'm on vaca

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #19 of 19 Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:18 am

Sounds like you had fun. On another issue, how are your avons doing?? How many miles and would you go with them again??

Thanks Mark

Bouak

Jenks, OK
07 GT
99 LT
05 GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in