Handy-cap building code help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 2:10 pm Thread Starter

Handy-cap building code help

Hi all,
was wondering if anyone on this board understands how the handy-cap accessible rules apply when doing repairs in a church bathroom. We need to replace the stall dividers and would like to make the doors swing out instead of in. We are NOT changing the size of the stalls or the doors just the swing direction. Will this open us up to a scenario of "we made a change" and now we must comply to the latest building codes.

If you want to discuss this off-line please send me a PM.

Thanks

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 2:33 pm

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is what you're talk'n 'bout here - I think.

Here's the main site for it all - has some PDF files with info an such. Also want to verify with your local authority as well.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/stdspdf.htm

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old Jul 30th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Hi all,
was wondering if anyone on this board understands how the handy-cap accessible rules apply when doing repairs in a church bathroom. We need to replace the stall dividers and would like to make the doors swing out instead of in. We are NOT changing the size of the stalls or the doors just the swing direction. Will this open us up to a scenario of "we made a change" and now we must comply to the latest building codes.

If you want to discuss this off-line please send me a PM.

Thanks

Roy
In my neck of the woods, dealing with a number of different jurisdictions, if it requires a building permit, it has to be brought up to code. Only one stall has to be compliant along with the entrance to the restroom and access to one sink.

If I were you I would make the argument that you are only replacing existing materials and not altering the building. On the other hand, since it is a church, you may very well need accomodations for handicapped parishioners in which case I would suggest you do the right thing for your folks.

YMMV

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 31st, 2007, 6:43 am Thread Starter

Thanks Tate & Jeff,

Would like to try and accommodate all parishioners but building is 35 years old and wheel chair access to the bathrooms was not given any consideration. Rets of the church is completely accessable so this is a stumbling block for us. We have discussed this and had quotes to do the work but voters did want to spend the money so on to the second option of making them a little more user friendly for crutches and walkers just not wheel chairs.

will keep digging for possibilities.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in