Housing choices. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 8:28 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Housing choices.

Hey folks..
I've been thinking about a new kind of "house" for my remaining years.

What I have in mind is a 2 story metal prefab building. This building will be on a concrete floor with the lower floor being mostly "work area"... the "perfect" shop/play area.

On one end of this building a "living" area could be built which would be totally protected by the building itself... perhaps a window or two and doors on the exterior.... but the exterior wall would be built away from the actual walls.

If the "living" area is properly done, my wife will live there with me.... a very good thing in my thinking.

There is another option, which would minimize the amount of concrete... to build "vertically" where the concrete would be the shop/play area and the "living" space suspended above. That would also reduce the amount of roofing needed... at the expense of losing some "headroom"...

I know folks here have done some "prefab" in their lives and have made some great suggestions about other applications... and that's kinda what I'm looking for.. more ideas...

If you want to send PM's that's kewl.. if you know where I can find some pics or preferably, designs, that would be greatly appreciated.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 9:07 pm

I know they're not popular around here, for various reasons; the least being due to excavation in 'rock'; butt my next abode is gonna have a basement. I don't care if it's totally underground - could be just partially above grade - butt there is gonna be one. And depending where we settle, it might even have a 'fraidy hole' built with it.

Anyway, doesn't answer your request, Channing. It wuz just a thought you brought to mind.

Might a suggest some time allotment for a visit to your local library. Nowdays, with internet and books and references all located in most libraries, I betcha you can begin to amass a pretty good yardstick of info from the various sources. Again, just a thought.

Best.
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 9:17 pm

Someone sent me a video clip about some folks out in California that built a new home out of metal shipping containers. Did a good job, looked good. Doubt they'll have a termite problem. Looked for it in my deleted file and its already gone. Sorry. Maybe someone else here has seen it and has it to share.

B D R

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 9:48 pm

Hey Channing if your thinking about the latter years you may want to reconsider the stairs...i live in a two story and sometimes hate to go "up" stairs to bed ! Except when i think about the young wif and that sometimes gets me moving faster....there are lots of basements here, they are always cool and if done right the basement can have one side completely open to the ground in the rear. If you have a small hill of course. Make sure you use reflective color metal and not a heat absorbant color. I had my saddle shop (24x30) built as a pole barn w/an r-8 insulation skin. Put a stout wood floor about 1" 6" above the ground (insulated r-19) creating a small dead air space under the insulation and sealed it all around in/out. Then i framed walls flush with the inside of the 6x6 timbers, pulled my wire etc., insulated r-19 and sheetrocked. There is about a 3" dead air space between the insulated skin and the wall insulation. Sealed it all, insulated the ceiling r-26 (9') real well and have a large storage area above. Anyway its very easily heated it in the winter with one 20k btu freestanding ventless propane stove (-25 last year for a week) and durung the summer a swamp cooler. Used 2x8 for window sills and 1x8 window trim. I built a 4' wide side entry door for moving stuff in/out and have realized it would be a perfect motorcycle, wood or whatever shop...anyway could easily expand the size and live comfortably in it.
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 9:51 pm

Man, I wanted to do that, but was firnly vetoed by the wife. It would be so kewl to have the gearage as part of the living area. If you did it right, it wouldn't even be considered a house, but an out building by the taxing entities (they don't come inside and look).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:06 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

there's the stuff I'm after guys.. woulda, shoulda, coulda.

Thanks for taking the time.. I'm taking notes!!!!

I like the idea of building into the side of a hill ... shielded from the front (low blast face if aimed toward closest new-kuh-lear target or government assault attempt...very defensible... but that's just my nightmares talking...)

Having "stairs" is a negative, Mark... you are so right!!! So, I'd have to install a "lift" when I build it or that will never happen. As for the "motivation" of my darling wif, I figured I could crawl upstairs if I need to.

Having a "basement" is really ideal, Dick. Cooler, more secure, good for brewing beer.. or wine... One would need to ensure it is properly sealed against water and radon penetration... but I suppose that's do-able...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Channing,
Metal structures expand & contract with temperatures (day/night) and can creak & groan. Also, not sure the SO would appreciate the noise of the rain unless the underside of the roof was highly insulated with fiberglas batts.

Visit a small industrial metal structure around noon on a hot day and you can hear it expand! Visit during a rain storm and you might not be able to carry on a conversation.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #8 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If I ever get the chance to build a house I want it to be handicapped-accessible from the get-go. I'm healthy now, but given enough years... you never know. It would be nice to build everything with that possibility in mind. (that is, not being in a wheelchair due to accident, but simply due to old age)

Wider doors, lower light switches, higher receptacles, no steps (this necessitates a one-floor plan), different bathroom fixtures, etc., etc.

A neighbor down the road built his house from scratch. It's a nice two-story, with an elevator (not your typical elevator, but home-grown) from the garage to the first floor.

Concrete floor? Consider a radiant-floor heating system. Nice, even heat, no drafts, everything inside gets warm and stays warm.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 7:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
I like the idea of building into the side of a hill ... shielded from the front (low blast face if aimed toward closest new-kuh-lear target or government assault attempt...very defensible... but that's just my nightmares talking...)
Lots of folks have done that one, too. They've actually conquered ventilation and humidity. There was a show Sandy used to watch on HGTV that showcased different types of off the wall houses. One was dedicated to houses built inside of hills. Some awesome stuff, very little heating and cooling, lotsa protection. Big drawback is no windows. Gots to have some windows.

I like old barns. Some very rich folk have dismantled them, reassembled them and turned them into killer houses. We looked at beam houses at one point. The whole structure is built with big beams. Very nice, but can get expensive.

I even looked into rammed earth, beeeeg brick like slabs. Very energy efficient houses. I've always wanted and energy efficient house and the ultimate compromise with Sandy was the SIPS.

SIPS (stuctural integrated panel system) is a good way to go. OSB sandwiching a foam like an ice chest is made of. Super energy efficient, easy and quick to build with. Cheaper than stick building. They now have a factory in New Braunfels, of course. Ours had to come from El Paso by train. Then you use the foam sheets twixt the rafters and shoot an R19 over it. High E windows finish it off and concrete stained floors. You've been to my house, in the high heat of summer, pushing a 220v pump for the well and AC, our electric bill is around 300. In the winter, we use the earth stove and the bill is around 100.

I looked into solar and other stuff, but wouldn't live long enough to see the gains from the initial expense.

There's some kewl stuff out there, the hardest part is getting the wifey to sign off on it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 9:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
If I ever get the chance to build a house I want it to be handicapped-accessible from the get-go. I'm healthy now, but given enough years... you never know. It would be nice to build everything with that possibility in mind. (that is, not being in a wheelchair due to accident, but simply due to old age)

Wider doors, lower light switches, higher receptacles, no steps (this necessitates a one-floor plan), different bathroom fixtures, etc., etc.
I spent 9 months in a hospital bed and wheelchair. I also spent 9 months before I ever saw my bathroom or bedroom. Make a house that is wheelchair friendly and 36" doors on the inside. No sharp corners either and screw the stairs.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 9:29 am

The concrete pour in place walls for housing are interesting to me and I will look into them if I ever build.

They have some of the same benefits of metal - no insect problems, stability, etc. with insulation built in.

Like everyone else, the wife's buy off will be required!

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 10:40 am

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in