Oil - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 8:21 pm Thread Starter

Oil

Got ambitious tonight and oiled my leathers. Neats Foot oil is probably better than 15W40, at least that's what I used.
Cool weather is right around the corner and nice soft leather feels a lot better than the stiff ones.
For those of you that wear the synthetic stuff, never mind.

B D R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 8:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Gunny, Let's start a firefight...

What kind of oil do you use on your leathers?

How do you apply it?

I'll start...

I use "Snowseal".. it's mostly beeswax... I put my leathers in a "low" temp oven.. as low as I can get it.. or lay it in the TExas summer sun.

When toasty, slather on the goop-du-jour. Heat opens the pores and when you apply the goop it soaks in like you've never seen. Gets into the "seams" well, too...

When it is cool you'll see the difference..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

Fiebing's Prime Neatsfoot Oil Compound.

Put the leather on for a while to warm it up, small hand towel, the kind you carry home from the Holiday Inn Express when you spent the night there. Pour some oil on the towel and rub it in, do one panel/section at a time until done. Put the leather back on and see if you missed any spots. Remember to get the flap inside the zipper, inside the pockets. Also do my riding boots and gloves.

B D R

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:03 pm

Not to butt in but...the compund is pretty good but the "100 percent pure" natural neatsfoot works a little better. The componds are full of chemicals and though they can make leather supple at first they dont have the lasting effect pure neatsfoot does. Some saddle shops like to sell the compounds because there is a better markup. The next best and probably just as good is virgin olive oil. The down side to olive oil is the darker the oil the more it tends to darken the leather a little. Animal oils like mink are good sealers but they can get like wax in cold weather and dont penetrate as well as the neatsfoot or olive oils. NEVER use vegetable or other types of oil as they tend to destroy stitching and attract mice and bugs. When treating natural materials, use natural products...
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ok, Mark.. sources man, sources!!! Where can you get your mitts on a "sufficient" amount to use each year.. does it store well?

oh, and Olive Oil... I never expected that as I thought it would turn like veg. oil...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:31 pm

You can buy Pure Neatsfoot oil at any Tandy, Leathercrafter, saddlemaker etc..anyplace that carries allot of leather products. It comes as pints or gallons. You will never use a gallon of it. Buy a pint (3-5 dollars) and store in your kitchen closet or anyplace where it wont freeze. If it freezes it will clabber as it does have fatty characteristics. Make sure your lrather is clean, you can use saddle soap or a mild dish soap to clean, then let dry completly. Apply fairly liberally and let it soak into the hide. With maximum exposure once a year maybe twice. Use a soft cloth when you apply and dont wear gloves, it will wipe nicely off your hands and moisturize them also. If the leather soaks it up quickly then you will want to apply another coat. It should take a few minutes to soak in completly. It wont discolor your leather even though it may look like it at first. You will notice a nice supple feel with a semigloss finish after. Olive oil has been used for everything under the sun for thousands of years, exellent stuff.

p.s. make sure you get 100 percent "Pure Neatsfoot" dont let them talk you into the other junk. I have restored Cowboy Chaps that are 40yrs old using it...after a good cleaning of course.
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 27th, 2007, 3:49 am

I use Connolly Hide Food on all my leather - as used by Rolls Royce in their cars Fabulous stuff, and a great smell - just like new

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in