3500 mi - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

3500 mi

Just got back from a little ride down the road, wet and tired. Wife and I packed a couple of days worth of clothes and went to see old friends.
Left out of here last Thursday morning a little before 8. All was well until we got to West By God Virginia and had to get out the rain suits. Weather cleared and off they came, a hundred mile later and on again, off again and on again. Finally got through the front near Sandusky Ohio after riding through some serious wind and rain. Rain suit did OK except it leaks in the crotch, not good. Helmet leaks too, looked like I poured water down the front of my jacket. Darn face sheild fags bad in the rain, gonna have to do something about that. Friday was most excellent weather, didn't even mind the road construction across Michigan. Noted that the folks seem a lot more aware of a motorcycle sharing the road than they did the last time up there a few years ago. Got to my buddy's house north of Traverse City. Rode all over the north part of the lower peninsula Saturday, Mackinac City and all. Sunday rode down to the southern part of the state and visited with relatives and saw more old friends. Monday had breakfast with my first real riding buddy from '72 and rode a while. We didn't pull the old stunts we used to pull on each other like ride up along side, grab the ignition key and ride off. Headed back this way about noon.
Rode down to West by God Virginia in the best weather you could hope to ride in, mid 80's, partly cloudy and no wind to speak of. Took 2 lane roads all across Ohio. This morning woke up to some racket I first thought was folks dragging luggage around the hotel. Nope, it was thunder. Rain suit time again, this time it rained from Charleston WV to just across the NC line, cleared for 60 miles and rained again, all the way to the house. Going to take a good while to clean the fat girl and it won't be tomorrow. Doctors appointment in Oteen at 1430, another excuse to ride, hope it doesn't rain.
A few observations. Fuel mileage avaraged 43.9 the whole trip, most of it at 75 mph and maybe a littl eover once in a while. Leakiy rain suits ain't no fun. The LT ran flawlessly the whole time. Glad she had a new set of tires in the rain. Was going to go with something other than Metzlers bu that's all the dealer had on hand, a 2 week wait for anything else so that's what went on. They did good, only slipped once on the steel expansion joint on one of those WV bridges. Wish I could have seen whoever put rocks in my seat, that thing got real uncomfortable every day after about 300 miles. Gonna have to do something about that before the next long ride. My buddy's HD with a Stage II can keep up with the LT on straight stretches, he's shifting into second about the time I'm just getting the power band on strong in first, about the time I start pulling away from him. Might have to get another GPS, the original is getting more and more confused and locking up for no good reason I can see. We have a real beautiful country to ride in. There are still a lot of folks out there that probably don't need to be driving, they either are not aware of other around them or else real situationally unaware. Waffle House is a good place to eat. The center of the road in the toll plaza in West by God Virginia is very slippery in rain. They claim that they clean them weekly, I asked what they used, grease? If you happen to be at a motel and the folks above you stomp on the floor at midnight, call the front desk and ask them to handle it, if they don't, call back and offer to take care of it yourself, that works.

List for next time. Pack less clothes, a new rain suit (won't be First Gear) hope for less rain and enjoy it as much as this ride.

3500 miles in 6 days.

If I didn't wave, it was cause I didn't see you in time or cause my shoulder was aching, sister in law, the nurse says I need to see the doctor, probable problem with a rotator, whatever that is, that's the doctor visit tomorrow is about. Can't even get my wallet out with that hand.

B D R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 8:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
If you happen to be at a motel and the folks above you stomp on the floor at midnight, call the front desk and ask them to handle it, if they don't, call back and offer to take care of it yourself, that works.
Hmmm. I wonder what they could have been doing, making all that noise in a motel room at night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
3500 miles in 6 days.
Sounds like alot of fun, in spite of the rain!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 24th, 2007, 8:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hey, Gunny! Glad you're back safe n'sound!

yeah,,, rotator cuff.. easy to damage throwing grenades.... and it may not show up for a few years....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 3:37 am

Glad you had a great ride, not so good on the Rotator Cuff, I tore mine during an Archery competition, and it was a full 18 months before things were back to normal. Lots of Physio, Take a peek at this site for good info on treatment etc

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_r...?thread_id=127

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:09 am

That sounds like one fine trip. Glad you had some great weather in there with the rain. Love those kind of stories.

Scott

2000 Canyon Red LTC
"Arizona"
"You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't."
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 2:33 am

First Gear, or any other brand, doesn't matter, if you sit in water a few hours they will leak. It's where they all leak. Many have a couple vent holes in the crotch to facilitate leaking.
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2007, 8:50 am

Talking

Great post Gunny. And I'm sure it was a great ride, rain be damned! If you have not already tried it, I suggest a Beadrider on your not so comfortable seat before spending the big bucks on a custom. The beads will also do one thing really great in the rain: they allow the water to channel under you, not puddle up in front on the seat! This can really help prevent the soak through in the trousers.

You are correct on this being a beautiful country, and a lot of that is due to folks like yourself who are willing to stand up and defend her!

Semper Fi,

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in