Lawnmowers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 1:44 pm Thread Starter

Lawnmowers

I mow my mom's grass every Monday rain or shine. Her thought is if I can ride in the rain, I can dayem well mow in it, too.

I bought a self propelled lawn mower at Home Depot last year. Their lawn is wet and hilly, oh, did I mention she wants it bagged, too? It's killing me. It clogs and the self propel doesn't work well in the wet.

I'm looking for a better mower. I'm leaning toward Honda, but you go to the reviews and half say they're underpowered junk (it grows tall in one week and is extremely wet) and the others say it's better than a PBJ.

One of the problems is the extreme rain we've been having, their aerobic septic tank sprays, run off down the hill and they refuse to turn their sprinkler system off and I'm forbidden to touch it. Hard to believe I'm 50 years old, get treated like 16.

It's a couple of acres, a rider won't work. Any suggestions?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 1:47 pm

Bush hog with a tractor pull Grif! And a good one at that for wet grass...

Or...just move out here to AZ with us, I don't see too much grass around, arharh...

Charge the kids for rides to help pay for the tractor...
post #3 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 1:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Grif... I have a Cub Cadet... no "bagger" on it... but it get's the job done quite nicely mulching.

The Cub has several features I liked over the J.D....better quality deck, steel, etc...

As for "bagging".. well, I think Burt Munroe had a great solution.... hey, if you are going to be treated like you're 16, might as well act the part...

Just kidding...

Seriously, for "bagging", I suggest a "rake" you tow behind the rider. I've seen 'em and they do a pretty good job.

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=14101 for a dealer near ya.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #4 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 1:56 pm Thread Starter

A rider won't work, boys. Terracing, trees, bushes, cement lawn art, gates that a rider won't fit thru.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 2:05 pm

I've never heard a bad thing about Honda push mowers from actual owners. I'm not sure they're dealing with your conditions though. I don't know of any mower/bagger that deals with wet grass very well. Most mulchers only work for people that cut their lawns a LOT.
post #6 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 2:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

A Troy-bilt 36" self propelled. Don't know about bagging it though.

dan
post #7 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 2:09 pm
Gold Supporter

Propane torch otta take care of that problem

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #8 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 2:13 pm

A couple of acres of grass? That's a huge amount of lawn for a conventional mower.

I've had a Honda Harmony with Hydrostatic drive, middle-of-the-line mower for 5 or 6 years. NY was like a rain forest, and it really earned its keep there. I've cut thick grass a foot tall with it. However, when the going is that heavy, you can only take half a swath with it. If you have a whole lawn like that, then you probably need something with more power. Otherwise, no complaints. Reliable too. Starts first or second pull every time -- even after sitting all winter. The grass catcher works great on it. Of course if your grass is a foot tall, you'll be emptying it constantly.

Have you considered a herd of sheep?

-joel
post #9 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 2:14 pm

Should be one here for you Grif. . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mower.gif
Views:	65
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	13191  

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #10 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 2:23 pm

Keep complaining, and Momma's goona send you out to the woodshed to pick out a switch...

I had the same problem, then started cutting less off of the grass. During the summer, I leave the wheels at the next-to-highest setting. Of course, at the first mowing, you'll get a lot less grass, but even after that it seems to be reduced quite a bit. This also allows for better air flow, which keeps the grass slinging into the bagger.

If you have your wheels too low, it's much the same as clogging your vacuum cleaner.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #11 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 2:40 pm

Screw the mower - get some goats!

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #12 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 2:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
A rider won't work, boys. Terracing, trees, bushes, cement lawn art, gates that a rider won't fit thru.
Ok, Grif.. concrete it all... paint green .. install "astro-turf" where texture desired.

I still think Burt's solution was effective.... after all, the burn ban is over.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 3:12 pm

Get a self propelled walk-behind or stand on that Great Dane sells. It is the same thing as a John Deere but not near the price. They both are made at the same place. I've got a 52 inch hydro walk behind with a landscape deck that the deck folds up and will go through a 36 inch doorway just sitting in the shed collecting dust. Its only got a years worth of mowing when i was doing some custom stuff and i never had any problems with it. The stand-ons are even better seeing you don't have to walk.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #14 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 3:39 pm

This looks like a good deal
http://shopping.superpages.com/ride+...13~ty_au~P__2_

Tony 05
post #15 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 4:03 pm

SOLD!!!!
post #16 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 4:34 pm

Grif,

I've had two Honda mowers and really liked both. The first one was a push mower that I had for 12 years before trading it in on a self propelled model. I have had zero problems with both of the mowers and would buy another if something happened to this one. One feature that I really like is the blade brake. The blade, not the engine, stops if you let go of the handle. I mulch my grass so I can't really comment on how well it bags. They are not cheap but well worth the money IMHO.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #17 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 4:45 pm

Been reading all the replies, and was suprised that Woolly didn't suggest a couple of his friends. One or two sheep would keep the grass down, and in exchange they supply you with a never ending supply of little chocolate covered raisins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sheep shit.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	13193  

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #18 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 4:50 pm

i have an answer.....Manual

PAUL HERMAN
TROPHY CLUB TX
WORK 817-491-2800
CELL 817-403-3648

post #19 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 4:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards
. . . they supply you with a never ending supply of little chocolate covered raisins.
Hmmm, my favourite!!

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #20 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 5:19 pm

Grif: It sounds to me like you should look at a "Z" style riding mower - the Z stands for zero turning radius so you can mow around all kinds of obstacles in the turf. Most every manufacturer makes one: John Deere, Cub Cadet, Toro, Exmark, Scag, Walker, etc. I like Exmark for value, we use their 21" mowers where I work (Superintendent of Grounds at the UCD Medical Center) along with 72" John Deere 935 riding mowers (expensive to buy and maintain) and we mulch all year round at the highest cutting height. Go to your local commercial mower shops and check out what they have in Z riding mowers and see what they recommend. Some even provide test rides! I'll be interested to know what you end up with.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"
post #21 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 6:02 pm

Get her about 10-12 goats. That'll keep the grass under control.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #22 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 9:37 pm

Grif,

I can highly recommend a John Deere self-propelled. Had one for several years and I have been extremely pleased. It has been very reliable.

But mowers are like motorcycles, everyone has their favorites. Good luck with you choice.

Keith
post #23 of 41 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulfred
Grif: It sounds to me like you should look at a "Z" style riding mower - the Z stands for zero turning radius so you can mow around all kinds of obstacles in the turf. Most every manufacturer makes one: John Deere, Cub Cadet, Toro, Exmark, Scag, Walker, etc. I like Exmark for value, we use their 21" mowers where I work (Superintendent of Grounds at the UCD Medical Center) along with 72" John Deere 935 riding mowers (expensive to buy and maintain) and we mulch all year round at the highest cutting height. Go to your local commercial mower shops and check out what they have in Z riding mowers and see what they recommend. Some even provide test rides! I'll be interested to know what you end up with.
Wouldn't work, too much terracing and small gates. I'd buy a lawn attachment for my DR mower is that was the case. DR rawks!!! I don't have a lawn, but when the weeds get too high around la casa, the DR anihilates them! Will also take down saplings, bushes, etc. Their regular old lawn attachment is purdy kewl, but the DR rig is too big.

I ended up getting a Honda. Thanks for playing fellers!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #24 of 41 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 1:02 am
Ted

Toro or Honda commercial mowers:

http://www.toro.com/professional/lce...e21/22187.html

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/M...Name=hrc216hxa

They ain't cheap, though - about $1,100+ each. The Toro has a 1 gallon tank.

My dad always had a Toro, and it rubbed off on me! Almost bought a Honda a few years ago, but never had any problems with Toro ever so I stayed loyal!

I used to cut lawns for extra money in grade school through high school. Started w/ 2 lawns in 4th grade and it grew to 10 by 10th grade, so I've cut a few yards! Largest was about 1/2 acre, but the rest were much less!

Good luck!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #25 of 41 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 3:56 am
rlv

A good commercial walk behind ought to solve all of your problems.
Also get the spud block with the wheel so you can ride.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #26 of 41 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 8:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGKILLER
Ok, who's been sneakin around in my backyard?????

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #27 of 41 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:04 am

Talking Try this....

"Mom, you know I'm not getting any younger. Maybe it's time you considered moving into a condo" Then run like hell and don't look back! Or, since you live in the sticks, "Mom, you know the world is a changing place and cutting grass is not considered proper(the green thing) any longer. If God had wanted it short, he would have taught it how to smoke!" Get creative..."If God had wanted it short he would have made it that way!" Don't you have any kids or grandkids, let them do it?

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448

Last edited by Offwego; Jul 19th, 2007 at 11:11 am.
post #28 of 41 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offwego
"Mom, you know I'm not getting any younger. Maybe it's time you considered moving into a condo" Then run like hell and don't look back! Or, since you live in the sticks, "Mom, you know the world is a changing place and cutting grass is not considered proper(the green thing) any longer. If God had wanted it short, he would have taught it how to smoke!" Get creative..."If God had wanted it short he would have made it that way!" Don't you have any kids or grandkids, let them do it?
She has a gaggle of these yappy, demon spawn Yorkies, the grass is cut for them leetle monsters. Wouldn't want one to get a wet tummy.

You wouldn't believe the stream of yard services, nephews and other assorted in laws she's had. They've all been fired for some minor infraction or other. I think she just loves to have me under her thumb when she can. If you don't know my history, this woman made me build free stack rock walls as punishment as I was growing up. There's acres of them thangs on the old place.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #29 of 41 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Ok, who's been sneakin around in my backyard?????
Hey Doug, isn't that your racing mower?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #30 of 41 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:57 am

Cool Green to brown (not the wire!)

Quote:
She has a gaggle of these yappy, demon spawn Yorkies, the grass is cut for them leetle monsters. Wouldn't want one to get a wet tummy.

You wouldn't believe the stream of yard services, nephews and other assorted in laws she's had. They've all been fired for some minor infraction or other. I think she just loves to have me under her thumb when she can. If you don't know my history, this woman made me build free stack rock walls as punishment as I was growing up. There's acres of them thangs on the old place.
Now we all know you're the creative type. What if you attached a tank with a sprayer and filled it with Round-Up? Mom's green grass just turned brown and nothing left to mow!

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #31 of 41 Old Jul 19th, 2007, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Now we all know you're the creative type. What if you attached a tank with a sprayer and filled it with Round-Up? Mom's green grass just turned brown and nothing left to mow!
Homey would be laying new sod and I hate laying sod.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #32 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 9:34 am

I have a snapper mulcher with a six speed and shift on the top of the handlebar. It's four years old and works very well. We have a big yard and I could use a rider but the cut from the snapper is really good. Clean the air filter fairly often or it runs rich but it is dusty here.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #33 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 9:47 am

Smile Idea for the Grifman..

Quote:
Homey would be laying new sod and I hate laying sod.
That gave me an idea! Replace the sond with Zoysia grass. It's slow growing, needs less water and tolerates extreme heat. And when your mom kicks your ass outta the house, it's soft to land on!

http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #34 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:27 am

Grif

only knowing you for a short time, I can see why your mother loves
you so. I would go with the above recomendations of goats, condos,
or kids in your mothers neighbor hood, or out source.

are you really only 50 ??

Jim
post #35 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider
Grif
are you really only 50 ??

Jim
Ouch, that hurt!!

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #36 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:40 am
Ted

Quote:
And when your mom kicks...
These words should never be put together - I really thought you were going to finish this sentence differently!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #37 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:44 am

Angry Whoops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
These words should never be put together - I really thought you were going to finish this sentence differently!
Sorry, didn't mean to say mom kicks.... in the same sentence! I should have said then, when your mom throws your ass outta the house!

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #38 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
That gave me an idea! Replace the sond with Zoysia grass. It's slow growing, needs less water and tolerates extreme heat. And when your mom kicks your ass outta the house, it's soft to land on!

http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/
I begged them to put in an alternative grass. They wouldn't hear of it, St. Augustines it was and that was final. Sigh.

Kick me out of the house? There's times I come over and the doors are locked. She won't let me in. But, she's still my mom and though that small Irish woman regularly makes life a living hell... but she's still my mom.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #39 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:20 pm

Cool never say die...whoops, I mean give up!

Quote:
I begged them to put in an alternative grass. They wouldn't hear of it, St. Augustines it was and that was final. Sigh.

Kick me out of the house? There's times I come over and the doors are locked. She won't let me in. But, she's still my mom and though that small Irish woman regularly makes life a living hell... but she's still my mom.
Ok, it's time to bring out the big guns....no, not for your mom...It's time to play TOM SAWYER! You're gonna have to find some gullable kids and convince them that mowing your mom's yard is soooo much fun and after all, you've done it for 50 years and look how well you turned out! Then tell them how great and successful (assuming of course) it made you and how reluctant you are to share the fun, but after 50 years it's time to pass the torch. You may have to throw in a mini bike or small motorcycle as a bribe...

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #40 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 12:57 pm

Question seriously.....

How much land do you have to mow?

Craig

BMWMOA #113448
post #41 of 41 Old Jul 20th, 2007, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
How much land do you have to mow?
Too much. That's why at my house I knock the weeds down with a DR!!!!

No mas, y'all. I bought a Honda for momma's yard.

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in