Drunk Kills Motorcyclist on his way home from the MOA Rally - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Drunk Kills Motorcyclist on his way home from the MOA Rally

Wisconsin crash kills Iowa City man
Driver charged with homicide, driving drunk
Gazette staff and Associated Press
JUNEAU, Wis. — A Wisconsin woman accused of killing an Iowa City man in a head-on collision Sunday has been charged with homicide, court records show.

Daniel D. Christ, 40, died when his motorcycle was struck by a car driven by Darcy L. Schehr, 27, of Hartford, Wis., around 8 a.m. Sunday, authorities said.

The accident happened on Highway 60 west of Hartford in Dodge County, Sheriff’s Department Capt. Rodney Kreitzman said. That is about 40 miles northwest of Milwaukee.

Schehr was driving east when she entered Christ’s lane, Kreitzman said. Christ tried to avoid the collision but Schehr’s car swerved beyond the white fog line and struck the motorcycle , he said.

Schehr was charged with homicide by intoxicated use of a motor vehicle, a Class D felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison. She was released from jail after posting $2,500 cash bond. Her next court appearance, in Juneau, has been set for Aug. 2.

She was not injured in the accident, Kreitzman said. Barb McFarland, secretary of the Pure Stodge Touring Association in Iowa City, said Christ was attending the international rally of the BMW motorcyle owners’ group at West Bend, Wis.

She said Christ was married and the father of a son and was involved in his church and sang in the choir.

‘‘He is a lifetime member of the BMW Motorcyle Owners Association, and he’s been the (local chapter) president for the past four or five years,’’ she said. ‘‘He’s a really nice guy.’’

He was known for being safety conscious, always wearing his helmet, eye protection and other gear, McFarland said.

FYI, She was released on $2,500.00 bond. I guess life is cheap.

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/caseDetails...w+Case+Details

I think a letter writting campaign to the Dodge County District Attorney is in order:

Steven G. Bauer
Dodge County District Attorney
Administration Building
127 E. Oak Street
Juneau, Wisconsin 53039-1329

To retain credibility please be respectful in your comments. If you would like to send me the letters so I can personally deliver them to him send them to:

Cabranes Law Offices
1442 N. Memorial Drive
Racine, Wisconsin 53404

I think its time our voices were heard. BTW, contact your local HOG Chapters, GWRRA, etc and get them to write too. This concerns all of us regardless of the brand we ride.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 5:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCabranes

Daniel D. Christ, 40, died when his motorcycle was struck by a car driven by Darcy L. Schehr, 27, of Hartford, Wis., around 8 a.m. Sunday, authorities said.

8 a.m. and she was already drunk?

Is a case where the drivers should never get a D.L. back.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #3 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
If you don't mind, I'm going to blog this.
Go for it.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #4 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 6:43 pm

This is a real shame, but I'm not sure what we're supposed to write about. What's the campaign, that it should be illegal to drive drunk, or do we just want to make sure she gets her comuppance?

I am curious how drunk she was. There's a big difference between .08 and .18. Was that really why she crossed the line, or was she not paying attention, or falling asleep, etc. No details yet on the link.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #5 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
This is a real shame, but I'm not sure what we're supposed to write about. What's the campaign, that it should be illegal to drive drunk, or do we just want to make sure she gets her comuppance?

I am curious how drunk she was. There's a big difference between .08 and .18. Was that really why she crossed the line, or was she not paying attention, or falling asleep, etc. No details yet on the link.
I think the focus of the letters should be that drunks who kill people need to get a full measure of punishment which in Wisconsin is 25 years in prison (15 years initial period of incarceration and 10 years of extended supervision) and a fine of up to $100,000. What's a life worth... 5 years... 7 years... or a full 25 years. She probably isn't going to get maxed but we want to be sure she gets a significant period of time. BTW, it does not bode well that the bond was set at only $2,500... which she apparently posted immediately.

BTW, here is the obit http://www.funeralquestions.com/obit...sting_id=86995.

Almost forgot... trying to get a copy of the criminal complaint. Personally, I don't really think it matters what her BAC was... she was drunk at 8am, that should tell you something right there.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #6 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:07 pm

methinks she may need a visit to get a couple things 'splained.
post #7 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

FYI,

http://www.wiscbmwclub.com/index.php...;topicseen#new

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #8 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by strsout
8 a.m. and she was already drunk?

Is a case where the drivers should never get a D.L. back.
She was not "already" drunk, I'm thinking. She was "still" drunk from the night before, and was headed home to sleep it off, meaning she was also drowsy. Back in my drinking days... well, that's all I have to say about that.

God rest the man's soul.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #9 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:29 pm

Quote:
John, the obit link got obscured. Can you try again using the link tool in the post editor?

Please keep us apprised of the action against the perp.

And please pass along my deepest condolences to the family. May he rest in peace by the grace of God.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #10 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

RIP, Daniel...

AS for all parties...

There, but for the GRACE of GOD, go I.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Unhappy Another Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
RIP, Daniel...

AS for all parties...

There, but for the GRACE of GOD, go I.
MONDAY, July 16, 2007, 4:30 p.m.

UPDATE: Two die in Washington County crash
A couple from West Palm Beach, Fla., died today as a result of injuries
suffered in a motorcycle crash in the Town of Addison, the Washington County
Sheriff's Department is reporting.

The crash was reported at 8:24 a.m. at state Highway 33 and county Highway
WW.

Those killed were identified as William A. Rourk, 67 and Arlene N. Rourk,
65. They had attended the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America Rally at the
Washington County Fair Park this past weekend, said Sheriff's Lt. John Buck. The
event drew about 8,000 BMW enthusiasts, Buck said.

The crash occurred as the Rourks were traveling west on Highway 33 on a 1993
BMW motorcycle equipped with a sidecar. Witnesses told sheriff's
investigators that vehicles traveling in front of the motorcycle slowed and the
motorcycle driver swerved into the eastbound lane, apparently to avoid colliding with
the vehicles that were slowing.

The motorcycle struck an eastbound car driven by Susan J. Off, 43, of
Hartford, according to Buck. The Rourks were thrown from the motorcycle which then
careened into a ditch and caught fire.

The Rourks were wearing helmets. They died at the scene.

The Allenton Fire Department and Allenton Rescue Squad responded to the
scene.

The crash remains under investigation.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #12 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Sorry, try this http://www.funeralquestions.com/obit...sting_id=86995

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #13 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:42 pm

Terrible news. RIP Daniel.

Question: Did she only have to post 10% of the total bond? Usually you just have to have 10% cash. That would make total bond $25,000, still not much for homicide. Not trying to lessen anything, just curious.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
post #14 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Wisconsin doesn't do 10% bond. $2,500 cash means just that.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #15 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:21 pm

that's a major insult to every human being on the planet! $2500 for KILLING someone!? WTF is wrong with these F*&^$ing ridiculous, Liberal namby-Pamby scumbags!?
That woman made a mistake, one that more people than anyone of us would like to admit could make. That does NOT take away from her responsibility to another human being and their family! Nor does it reflect upon our Public Officials the proper amount of responsibility they have to ALL OF US in working to ensure our safety! I'm so pissed right now, I can't even see straight! $2500??? So this guy's life was worth a couple of damn farkles??? What is wrong with this world???

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #16 of 24 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I was at the rally Friday. Many great people there. polite and kind to say the least.

4 years ago I lost a friend from church was on his way through Janesvile WI Memorial day or 4th of July weekend. drunk driver, no drivers license, illeagle alien blowing well over the limit drifts over into his on comming lane. Kills my friend but spares his wife, son and recently adopted daughter from Russia.

He got 40 years then will be deported back to where he came from. many letters were written to proscecuter & judge we think it made a difference in sentencing. He was never able to post bail and used a public defender.

This young woman did post bail. In Illinois the more money you have the less time you spend in jail. Just ask our former convicted criminal govenor George Ryan. I do not know about Wisconsin. Lets hope they give her some real time if she is guilty. remember innocent till proven guilty.

Letters from people that knew the victim will be the most valuable.

Letters that encourage punishment to the full extent of the law make sense.

My sincere deepest condolences to the family.

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #17 of 24 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 1:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
that's a major insult to every human being on the planet! $2500 for KILLING someone!? WTF is wrong with these F*&^$ing ridiculous, Liberal namby-Pamby scumbags!?
That woman made a mistake, one that more people than anyone of us would like to admit could make. That does NOT take away from her responsibility to another human being and their family! Nor does it reflect upon our Public Officials the proper amount of responsibility they have to ALL OF US in working to ensure our safety! I'm so pissed right now, I can't even see straight! $2500??? So this guy's life was worth a couple of damn farkles??? What is wrong with this world???
Bail is not a penalty. So, his life was worth more. Lets wait and see what her penalty will be.

Writing letters to the District Attorney will help. Let them know, we as a group care and we want to see her prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Keep the letters polite and professional, and you will be "heard" much louder.

RIP Daniel!

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
post #18 of 24 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 8:44 am

It sucks, when your number is pulled Old Grim wont be wait .
As for the letter thing, why because he was riding a BMW, did this hit a little close to home? what about all the other rider's that have been taken out by drunks?
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #19 of 24 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
It sucks, when your number is pulled Old Grim wont be wait .
As for the letter thing, why because he was riding a BMW, did this hit a little close to home? what about all the other rider's that have been taken out by drunks?
Rock
Yes it does hit close to home. No, not because he was driving a BMW, but because I spent the weekend doing what he was doing and it could just as easily been my wife who was also at the rally or someone I know or even me. As for others who suffer the same fate, maybe there needs to be a national organization (perhaps the AMA or something similar) to keep an eye on these type of things. We all do what we can. I admit that I've been passive about these kinds of things in the past but this shook me up... I feel I need to do something so I put out a call for action and I will do something on my own if no one answers the call. Not saying anyone is wrong if they do nothing, just saying I'm not standing by anymore when it happens to someone riding a BMW, a Harley a Honda, or any other brand.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #20 of 24 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Yes it does hit close to home. No, not because he was driving a BMW, but because I spent the weekend doing what he was doing and it could just as easily been my wife who was also at the rally or someone I know or even me. As for others who suffer the same fate, maybe there needs to be a national organization (perhaps the AMA or something similar) to keep an eye on these type of things. We all do what we can. I admit that I've been passive about these kinds of things in the past but this shook me up... I feel I need to do something so I put out a call for action and I will do something on my own if no one answers the call. Not saying anyone is wrong if they do nothing, just saying I'm not standing by anymore when it happens to someone riding a BMW, a Harley a Honda, or any other brand.
Okay so you woke up, I respect that, every thing has a beginning.
(Don't count on the AMA for squat, They don't have the man power needed to cover the bases they already have going) There is something along these lines going but it is not for drunk driver per sey, it cover right of way violations (drunk or just driving while stupid)
Presence of local motorcyclists at the court proceedings (notifiy the press also) will go a long ways towards keeping them from sweeping this shit under the rug.
I saw Fast Fred take it to the limit with his people and even one step further when they were trying to release the guy quietly on early parole.. Letter writing from outside the district will carry little weight (if you can't vote for or against them routine) but the judge may take it into account.
Fast Freds e-zine at FastFred.com may still contain a lot of the info.
Rock

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #21 of 24 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 2:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Okay so you woke up, I respect that, every thing has a beginning.
(Don't count on the AMA for squat, They don't have the man power needed to cover the bases they already have going) There is something along these lines going but it is not for drunk driver per sey, it cover right of way violations (drunk or just driving while stupid)
Presence of local motorcyclists at the court proceedings (notifiy the press also) will go a long ways towards keeping them from sweeping this shit under the rug.
I saw Fast Fred take it to the limit with his people and even one step further when they were trying to release the guy quietly on early parole.. Letter writing from outside the district will carry little weight (if you can't vote for or against them routine) but the judge may take it into account.
Fast Freds e-zine at FastFred.com may still contain a lot of the info.
Rock
Thanks for the info.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #22 of 24 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 3:05 pm

Quote:
I suppose you know how mothers feel. They got MADD. Their Law Enforement Section has info on legislation by state, and might be helpful in your efforts. I think I'll read up on what they are doing, too.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #23 of 24 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 3:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
I suppose you know how mothers feel. They got MADD. Their Law Enforement Section has info on legislation by state, and might be helpful in your efforts. I think I'll read up on what they are doing, too.
Thanks for the lead... I already have someone working that angle but keep those suggestions coming.

FYI, here is an interesting tidbit from the criminal complaint:

"Schehr was later interviewed at the Sheriff's Department and provided a statement. She indicated that she began drinking at approximately 5:00pm on July 14, 2007 near Colgate, Wisconsin at an acquaintance's home. At that time she consumed 4 cups of beer. Later Schehr and others went to Sussex Lion's Days in Sussex, Wisconsin where Schehr consumed more beer and stopped drinking at approximately 11:30pm. She indicated that she left the Sussex area at some time later and on her way to Hartford she fell asleep while driving. The next thing she remembered was waking up seeing the car smoking and the airbag had gone off. She remembers the motorcycle operator falling into the ditch into the "long grass"."

Note: The accident occurred sometime around 8am. Her BAC taken by a Portable Breatholizer was .12

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #24 of 24 Old Jul 18th, 2007, 7:58 pm

Quote:

Actually, John, the AMA already has a national program in process which seems to be working and spreading well. It's called "Justice For All".

Check out this link........ http://www.amadirectlink.com/justice/index.asp

Jay Slomka
Johnson City, TN

Y2K LT Champagne Class Act

BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in