How easily things become "natural acts" - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 7:58 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

How easily things become "natural acts"

I have several touchscreen devices that I use on a regular basis. Since I have been playing with my iPhone so much, I hadn't touched the GPS in my truck in over a week. Today I started to put in a destination and a list of choices was presented to me on the screen. Without thinking, I actually motioned the iPhone's multi-touch finger flip to scroll through the list. Of course, nothing happened. When I caught myself doing it again, I had to laugh at how accustomed to the finger flip gesture for scrolling though a list of items on a small screen.

I guess this could be called a symptom of the iPhone Effect.

Even with the short-comings of this device, it still amazes me every day. It really is a hand-held computer that just happens to be a phone and iPod. For those of you wondering what the short-comings that I have found, here they are:

1. All applications be "orientation aware" and work in both normal and widescreen. There is no reason why not.

2. Calendar Application - how about a "week" view?

3. Speed dial. I should be able to set up one-touch dialing from the keypad. Sure, favorites allows something similar, but if pressing and holding "1" sends me to voice mail, I should still be able to set up other speed dial numbers. Also, at this time, it does not have voice dial. I can't see why this couldn't be included in a future software update.

4. Camera. Come on, this is the most basic camera application I have ever seen. Give me a software update that gives me zoom, lighting, video capture, and even audio capture. The thing has a mic, so it's just a software issue.

5. User customizable keyboard. Having two pages of keys to swap in order to type is very cumbersome. Have the keypad change based on the shift button (lower case to upper case, numbers to punctuation) like a normal QWERTY keyboard.

6. Copy/Cut/Paste. Give me more control over text. The Jeweler's Loop and delete key are great for short SMS messages and other limited text, but give me the tools to do real work on this thing. Sometimes, I'd like to copy and paste something from one application (like Safari) and into another application (like Mail).

7. Applications. This revolutionary device is hobbled by the fact that there are no applications like word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, games, etc. Sorry, but Web 2.0 apps through Safari aren't gonna cut it.

8. Video out adapter. I've seen the video iPod speaker/screen units for watching movies, so I know that video from the universal dock connector is possible. Can it be adapted to connect to a DVI or VGA device? I'd love to be able to show customer presentations from my iPhone.

9. Google Maps needs to be Bluetooth GPS aware. I can find a Bluetooth GPS receiver for about $50, so GPS enable the maps application so I can really get some good use out of it.

10. Okay, maybe this is a nit, but you would think on a device this sophisticated, you might be able to provide a calculator that goes beyond simple arithmetic.

Since the iPhone really is an iLife device and not just a phone, I think applications should reflect that. Sure it's a simple ARM processor, but if you can make a Sharp Zaurus act as a Linux workstation, I am sure the iPhone hasn't scratched the surface in terms of what the processor can do.

Issues that will require new hardware

1. Desperately needs a SiRF III GPS chip. Why would you have a killer app like Google Maps, and NOT have the ability to self locate and navigate using GPS?

2. G3 Network capabilities. Unless EDGE can start to approach the 500+ kbps speed, something else is needed. The iPhone is a joy to browse from when connected to WiFi, but EDGE is excruciatingly slow most times.

3. The speaker is absolute crap. Even my Motorola L7 SLVR had better sound. It is distorted with anything above about quarter volume.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 9:08 pm

Just wait 'till you have to replace the battery...a real shortcoming. not to mention a real shock coming.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 9:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I've had a 1st generation iPod for over 5 years, and a 2nd generation nearly as long. Haven't needed to replace either battery yet. I think it's one of the few "shortcomings" that other manufacturers can claim against the iPod/iPhone, when the reality is that they just can't build as great of a device as Apple. In real life, it's just not an issue.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 9:24 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Excellent review, Jeff, thanks. I think most of what you want are software items that will be addressed. I agree that a GPS chip would be awesome. Maybe they'll just save that for the new iTablet.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 10:09 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
Just wait 'till you have to replace the battery...a real shortcoming. not to mention a real shock coming.
People keep saying this, but I don't understand why.

Sure, it's not as convenient as letting me replace my own battery, but since Apple already has a battery refresh program, including a loaner iPhone while it's in service (or I can just pop the SIM card in my old Motorola and rely on that during the service). Considering the type of battery required for the iPhone runs in the $70 range already, the $89 service (including the knowledge that the old battery is being disposed of properly), isn't really that bad. Given this is the way the iPod battery program works, I'm sure it will work just fine.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 12:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
People keep saying this, but I don't understand why.
$100 (with "loaner" phone) every 2-3 years (their estimate of battery life), roughly 1/5 of the original purchase price...No thanks. And I won't own an I pod for the same reasons. When I bought my MP3 player a user replaceable battery was high on my list of "must haves". They are out there, and it lasts 20 hours per charge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in