it slipped out on a curve - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 12:10 pm Thread Starter

it slipped out on a curve

The other day I was riding in town going around a curve 90 degree left curve in the road. I was in 3rd gear and the asphalt was clear. I lay the bike over as I have done many times before and half way into the turn much to my surprise I feel the back tire suddenly begin to slide out from under me as if I had hit an oil slick. No squeal or screech, just the uncomfortable feeling of the bike suddenly beginning to slip away from me like I hit a spot of butter. Before I knew what I was doing my left foot came off the peg to catch the bike before I lost it (I'll NEVER wear anything but boots again while riding). I get the bike stabilized and go on my way feeling quite shaken. Later I put the LT on the center stand and took a good look at the back tire. Nothing. Everything looked fine. It was a hot day, so maybe the asphalt there had oozed some slippery stuff up, I don't know. Anyone else ever have this experience?

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 12:26 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Yep. It's rare, but can happen. A small spot of oil, antifreeze, tar snake, etc. can ruin your day. Glad you caught the bike, and that the spot was small enough that you regained traction before things got too far out of hand. And be glad it was the rear tire that reacted, and not the front. Much more difficult to recover that way.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Yep. It's rare, but can happen. A small spot of oil, antifreeze, tar snake, etc. can ruin your day. Glad you caught the bike, and that the spot was small enough that you regained traction before things got too far out of hand. And be glad it was the rear tire that reacted, and not the front. Much more difficult to recover that way.
Yes, I can see that having the front tire do this could be a lot more problemmatic. It sounds like you've experienced this kind of thing before. It sure brings back some caution in your whole perspective on cornering.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 2:23 pm
rlv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
The other day I was riding in town going around a curve 90 degree left curve in the road. I was in 3rd gear and the asphalt was clear. I lay the bike over as I have done many times before and half way into the turn much to my surprise I feel the back tire suddenly begin to slide out from under me as if I had hit an oil slick. No squeal or screech, just the uncomfortable feeling of the bike suddenly beginning to slip away from me like I hit a spot of butter. Before I knew what I was doing my left foot came off the peg to catch the bike before I lost it (I'll NEVER wear anything but boots again while riding). I get the bike stabilized and go on my way feeling quite shaken. Later I put the LT on the center stand and took a good look at the back tire. Nothing. Everything looked fine. It was a hot day, so maybe the asphalt there had oozed some slippery stuff up, I don't know. Anyone else ever have this experience?
bet that your running the 880's

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #5 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 3:03 pm
Rider Journeyman

In addition to what others have said, I would go back to that corner and find out what you passed over that caused the slip. I expect, and hope, that it is something visible like a tar snake, or some sand that thinned out and is only in the gaps of asphalt where its hard to see.

I have found that there are very few sudden changes in adhesion without a visible change in the surface. Recognizing the potential of the change surface and being able to adjust quickly is the real trick

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #6 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 6:12 pm

Turn into it and lay on the throttle, chopping the throttle could get you a possible high side.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 6:21 pm

Quote:
Greg, what kind of tires are you running?

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 7:15 pm

The same thing happened to me today but I know exactly why it happened. I was burning up some tight twisties and I thought I was in 3rd and went to downshift going into a turn. Problem was I was in 2nd. So I was sideways in 1st. applied some throttle just like Grif said and I was on my way. It was actually fun to do but It breaks my rule #2. Don't loose traction.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #9 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 7:35 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
What's rule #1? Don't hit anything? And #3 must be don't let anything hit you?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2007, 9:09 pm

LOL! What's rule #1?? Hhahah gees...
I had a bad night one night on my GS1100. I was riding around town heading over to a friends house on campus when it started to rain lightly. It had been raining for about 5 mins or so when I got to campus, just enough so the road was completely wet, but not a soaking rain. As I started to turn into the campus road, the bike just popped right out from under me and slide off into the curb, I was sprawled in the middle of the opposing lane wondering what in the world just happened. I got up and run over to the bike to get it up off the curb (it hit pretty solidly) and found that the timing cover was worn through and engine oil was emptying out of it. That's when I noticed what happened... someone had blown a coolant line or a radiator and had just driven out of the campus and out into the road, the light rain had obscured the coolant, but had not washed it away. That was the quickest wipeout I have ever had, and there was NO warning. So anyway, my lesson from that is to be extra cautious around campuses everywhere since they are full of impoverished college kids driving POS cars that are on their last legs.
In the dry as you've described, I was wondering, were your tires cold? Did you just start riding, or had been just sitting in traffic / going slowly for a while before you made that turn? Cold tires will do precisely what you described.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #11 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 6:30 am Thread Starter

tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
the rear is a bridgestone that was on the bike when I bought it. Seems to be in very good condition. The fron is a new Micheliin I put on recently.

Greg

post #12 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 6:34 am Thread Starter

Don't think my tires were cold

However, I may have added some throttle mid-turn. I will do that sometimes when the turn is comfortable just for the extra speed and cornering. I can't remember if I did that or not.
Whoever said to go back to the curve and inspect it closely, good idea. But probably won't get to do it soon. I'm outa town for a week now.

Greg

post #13 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 9:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
What's rule #1? Don't hit anything? And #3 must be don't let anything hit you?
Ken, Excellent guesses, But maybe after that rear ender I had maybe I should make that rule #2.

Greg,
The marathons seem to have a reputation of skipping out on you especially in the rain. Thats why a lot of people here avoid them. Myself included.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 9th, 2007, 11:12 am

We were coming to a rotary a while back, dry day but overcast, nothing special and lots of traffic. The road looked smooth - just like black asphalt - until the front wheel went into the curve and started slipping away! Fortunately we were only doing about 2-3 mph joining the traffic and the skid was only about 2' or so before grip returned, but enough to scare me and make her on the back go rigid.

Problem was it'd been dry for weeks on end and a thin layer of rubber had built up at the braking point just before the stop-line. Later that day it rained buckets - and that rotary must have been like an ice rink!
post #15 of 17 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:14 pm

Any possibility of tar f____ snakes that were super heated in that turn???

I think they should be banned!!!!

Mike
post #16 of 17 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlv
bet that your running the 880's

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee

Quote:
the rear is a bridgestone that was on the bike when I bought it. Seems to be in very good condition.
I guess that ruins the "Must be Metzelers" theory. So it seems that a Bridgestone slipped on a curve. Unheard of.

Folks, it's not the brand of tire. It happens. I'm guessing a tar snake, or a spot of antifreeze. A 2" drop can make bad things happen.
post #17 of 17 Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I hit a fairly tight curve, posted at 40mph (I typically do +10 as it's just a cautionary speed) this weekend that had a maze of tar snakes and no way to miss plenty of them. It wasn't that warm out, yet, maybe about 75F, but the rear wheel felt like I'd lost the axel. Pretty unnerving feeling. I'm running Metz880 with 2000 miles on them.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in