"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up

+1 on that Hans. I am a French immigrant and I learned the language as well!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:25 am

I'm an American immigrant and my parents taught me how to speak English. It has to start at home.

A man has to know his limitations....

2009 K1300 GT - Royal Blue Metallic
2006 K1200 LT - Storm Gray Metalic

BMWMOA
BMW.LT

Last edited by gerryrenstrom; Jul 3rd, 2007 at 11:19 am.

post #4 of 25 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:21 pm

I have never quite got the hang of the language.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #5 of 25 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 2:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Omelet thatun slide.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 25 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 2:27 pm

Garage
Thumbs up

I totally agree. I live in Germany now, albeit just for a few years, but I started taking Deutsch classes within 3 weeks of me getting here. Sure, I don't need to speak German, but it is the respectful thing to do.
post #7 of 25 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 4:27 pm

It goes beyond respect however. Language is the glue that holds the country together. If everyone wants to speak a different language, what will allow the people to all belong together?
We have the right to our own beliefs, our own sexuality, our own cultures, to live where we wish etc. Language is the one thing that provides the ability to go anywhere within the country and communicate with your fellow countrymen. Otherwise we will soon degrade into a Pseudo-European style (read: The rest of the World) society, which is exactly what the Founding Fathers fought to diverge from.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #8 of 25 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 5:15 pm

I guess I don't care what language others want to speak but if you wanna communicate with me it better be english. This goes for Quick-E-Mart owners & telephone support people too, no matter where you're from. And anything other than a northern accent you better talk real slow too... If I can't understand you please don't be offended but I will ask for someone I can understand. This seems to piss off the telephone support people the most, I guess because the call centers are in their home country, (and maybe they think we should speak their language?).

At work I am in charge of one guy from Mexico, one guy from Asia, one guy from "the 'hood", and have an equal who is from Poland. My ex-wife is from Texas. They all speak english but with strong accents and have to slow it down & let me read their lips sometimes. Why is it everyone talks faster than upper Midwesterners???

I would love to learn other languages too as it would just make things easier sometimes, especially spanish but you know what they say about old dogs...

Last edited by Rick-L; Jul 3rd, 2007 at 5:22 pm.
post #9 of 25 Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I was born in a state before it was a state, in a part of the world where English was not the native language. Although both parents were born and raised in the U.S., Dad was in the Army for many years and we traveled all over. Dad did tours in Germany, Panama, and Vietnam. He learned a little of each country's language. When we all shipped to Japan my brothers and I attended Japanese Culture classes (really); it was an intro to the language, history, and culture of our host country.

Yes, I think learning at least a little of your host country's language is a good idea, and is about respect for others. Living permanently in a new country? You better learn the language.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 25 Old Jul 4th, 2007, 9:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Living permanently in a new country? You better learn the language.
Unless you can browbeat the Liberals into changing for YOU, as is the case here in The U.S. .

post #11 of 25 Old Jul 4th, 2007, 11:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I live in old Mexico.

Once in a while, I ride through a reservation. It reminds me, Americans are the most successful illegal immigrants.

If y'all don't like pressing 1 for English, tell your representatives in Congress you are sick of them not securing our nation's borders and you won't vote for them again until the borders are secure from people breaking/walking into our country.

Immigration reform is just plain silly until our borders are secure.

Today, in southern Arizona, 3 more dead bodies were found in the dessert. 20 illegal immigrants were in a car accident. All 20 of them went to the emergency room for free medial treatment that Arizona pays for. We'll find out tonight how many people had to be save from dehydration and heat stroke, more rescue expense for us here in Arizona.

We here in Arizona get stuck with these bills because your representatives won't step up and secure our borders.

Ever wonder if people can just drive a pick up truck across the boarder, loaded with drugs? If people walking into the United States can carry a white powder or a satchel of pills with them?

If you don't like pressing 1 for English, press your representatives to secure our boarders. It might even reduce the availability of drugs to children.

Congress won't do it because they are too busy trying to over throw the government (the other party), and they are too busy trying to get other Congress members to bribe them to vote for bills.

Billions in Highway funds that don't improve our highways, billions in foreign aide, billions for projects like The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but nothing to secure our boarders.

Ooooops.

Somebody press 1 for me to stop.

Bob in Tucson

Next time I'll rant how we spend billions to make the lives of people in foreign countries better but cannot afford to keep American's healthy or take care of American's teeth, eye sight, or hearing.

Every American should be willing to have a tooth ache, teeth pulled, go deaf, go with out medication, wait 2-7 hours in an emergency waiting room, so that we can send money over seas to help others. After all, what are American tax dollars for if it isn't to help foreign countries?
post #12 of 25 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 2:18 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Unless you can browbeat the Liberals into changing for YOU, as is the case here in The U.S. .
Yep, everything that's wrong with this country must be because of the Liberals. All the corporate greed, religious extremism, and meddling foreign affairs must be because of the . . . oh wait, those are all conservative traits, now aren't they? Take what's best for me, and screw my employees, my customers, and the rest of the world all for a quick buck. In the end, god will forgive me, so it's all OK.

See, it sounds just as bad when you rant from the other side of the coin, now doesn't it?

As for the billions needed to keep this country strong and provide for its legal populace, so sorry, but that's been diverted to a senseless, needless, illegal war based on false pretenses and with the single goal of making our current administration and their business partners even more filthy rich. Waste a few billions and a few thousand lives so they can make a few more millions? Sure. After all, it's not their money, and they'll all be long retired before the sh!t hits the fan.

As for the original argument, yes, if you live here you should be able to communicate in the native language. And no, if you're not a citizen or legal immigrant, then you don't deserve free anything. If your country sucks so bad, then do whatever it takes to fix it. I know that we will just as soon as the next elections roll around.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 25 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 7:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

It will happen automatically as it did in the early 1900's

I too an offended (I live in Florida) when traveling south of Orlando and languages other than English become the norm, but it happened before and it will happen again, it just takes a little time. In general, the first generation to make it to the US will speak their native language, their kids are fluent in both languages, and their kids hardly know their grandparents language. Over time, the so called problem fixes its self. There are exceptions and hold outs, but those that want to move up, learn the native language. Too much TV to prevent it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 25 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 1:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Yep, everything that's wrong with this country must be because of the Liberals. All the corporate greed, religious extremism, and meddling foreign affairs must be because of the . . . oh wait, those are all conservative traits, now aren't they? Take what's best for me, and screw my employees, my customers, and the rest of the world all for a quick buck. In the end, god will forgive me, so it's all OK.
Wait a minute here.... Not to make a mountain out of a molehill, but you are saying that Conservatives exemplify greed, extremism and poor foreign affairs policies???
Hold on a minute. First of all, GWB (aka " 'lil Georgie") casts himself as being a "Compassionate Conservative"... So which policies do you think he leans more Liberal on? In my opinion, he is not a conservative, and that is reflected in his floundering approval rating.
Secondly, leaving that idiot out of this, you want to use examples of Liberalism run amuck?? How about I just name one to keep it simple? Bill Clinton ring a bell?

post #15 of 25 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 2:01 pm

How is it that so many of these discussions always end up about politics. As if one political party or point of view is at fault or is going to put the world straight. Ken, Kevin, look around you, our current condition didn't happen overnight. I think we can all take a little blame for the way it is and / or for not speaking up when we should have.

BMWMOA
BMW.LT
post #16 of 25 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 2:21 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I'm just taking the above arguments and repeating them from the other extreme, as I so clearly pointed out above. And no, they don't make any more sense from the far left than the do from the far right.

Bill screwed himself, and the odd intern. W is screwing all of us. He's a war monger, who actually believe's he's fighting a holy war over there. Very bad, very scary.

Obviously we disagree on this, and that's fine, but I fail to see how W can be called compassionate in any sense of the word. And I'm sure not buying it just because he says so.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 25 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 2:25 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryrenstrom
How is it that so many of these discussions always end up about politics. As if one political party or point of view is at fault or is going to put the world straight. Ken, Kevin, look around you, our current condition didn't happen overnight. I think we can all take a little blame for the way it is and / or for not speaking up when we should have.
They always end up about politics because sooner or later, someone always blames the other party for every problem whether slight or great. And I agree that we do need to speak up for ourselves and our viewpoints. You may notice that I will never start one of these political discussions, but I do reserve the right to challenge stupidity and outright lies whenever I see them. That's how I exercise my right to speak up, and how I judge when it's necessary to do so.

Unfortunately, as the upcoming campaign approaches, I fear that things are only going to get more heated. I wish that weren't so, but past experience leads me to believe otherwise.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #18 of 25 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 3:44 pm

Just remember, anyone who is voted in can be kicked out. If we don't, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

PS - Writing that sentence made me think of the middle east in general. Look where they're at because they let bad governments get worse. At least we have the benefit of knowing freedom so we know what's it like, most of those countries never have. You would think we would be more proactive.

BMWMOA
BMW.LT
post #19 of 25 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
You may notice that I will never start one of these political discussions, but I do reserve the right to challenge stupidity and outright lies whenever I see them.
I tell you, I am never going to understand why it is that people cannot disagree in a civil fashion.
And just for the record, you can't just claim ignorance and acknowledge Clinton's shortcomings and then just move on. You made a statement, I rebutted that statement using an example. (this is called using facts to support an argument, I know, I know, something that most Liberals are not familiar with doing) The appropriate response is to defend your position by rebutting my example, not calling me stupid, or worse, a liar.
I won't claim to be Einstein, and in fact, am proud of my ability and desire to "see the other side" of things in an argument because I realize I am not omniscient, but generally speaking (leaving the dating scene out of things ) I don't go around lying.

post #20 of 25 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 4:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryrenstrom
Ken, Kevin, look around you, our current condition didn't happen overnight. I think we can all take a little blame for the way it is and / or for not speaking up when we should have.
Amen Gerry. Truer words were never spoken. It's actually why I am so outspoken about things now to be honest. I've gone along with the mainstream for most of my life, staying away from political, racial or religious discussions because that is what society expects from all of us.
Well, I've seen where society wants us to go, and I'm not buying. So I've decided to be much more politically active and have gotten involved at the local level working with Parks and Rec. to cut my teeth on the local political stage in preparation for more involvement in the future. My feeling is exactly what you have stated, we only get out what we put in, and unfortunately too many people will do nothing until it affects them directly.
Also, because of our current atmosphere of ostracizing anyone who does not share our views, I've been learning to be outspoken while not becoming marginalized by those I am interacting with. It's not easy though and is one of the most damaging aspects of what "Liberalism" and "Tolerance" have done to our society in my opinion, in that it really does preclude constructive debate / discussion.

post #21 of 25 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 4:24 pm

I hope you guys don't think that I mean you shouldn't have opinions or be able to voice those opinions. It just always seem to get a little personnel and we all have to remember it is just one persons opinion.

BMWMOA
BMW.LT
post #22 of 25 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 6:13 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Kevin, I think we're all being civil here. Calling an idea stupid, or pointing out the blatant falsehoods in such endlessly repeated internet rhetoric is much different than calling an individual stupid or worse.

I'm sorry I didn't respond to your "example" but all I saw was a quick name drop, with no facts or examples that could be challenged. And in fact, it seems that you're the one who put a political slant on this particular discussion with a sweeping generalization as the the cause of all the woes of our country. Whereas even after my extreme example, I tried to bring it back to the original topic.

So be it. These types of discussions never end up positive, and pretty much always deteriorate rapidly into mud slinging and name calling. Oh well.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #23 of 25 Old Jul 5th, 2007, 9:47 pm

What happend to "Press One for English"?
post #24 of 25 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEhrler
What happend to "Press One for English"?
I think it "got lost in translation"

post #25 of 25 Old Jul 6th, 2007, 6:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Its being translated into native American Languages.

There are millions of people here illegally in the USA, because Congress won't secure our boarders.

Spanish is most often spoken by those who break/walk into our country (to work). Many of those who break into our country cannot read Spanish very well, have never completed of High School.

Tired of pressing 1 for English, write-tell your representative in Congress.

Left, Right, Center--doesn't matter.

Secure our boarders.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in