Deer Whistle thingys - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 30th, 2007, 10:43 pm Thread Starter

Deer Whistle thingys

Here in Iowa a major source of motorvehicle insurance claims is from collisions with deer. It's one of the reasons I try to avoid riding at night. They sell those deer whistle things that you mount on your bumper and are supposed to somehow, I don't know, scare the deer off, or something. Has anyone tried it on a bike and/or have idea if they really work?

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 30th, 2007, 11:08 pm

For the price of a couple bucks I think it'd be worth a try. That is if you don't mind the appearance. I think they're ugly so I wouldn't have one. I like the 'slippery' look without things sticking out as much as possible.

I've heard good and bad reports on these over the years but mostly good. The bad that I've heard is that it confuses the deer and they will start to run rather than stand still like when lights hit them in the eye. Not sure if that's been proven or someone's speculation.

They operate by air passing through them but how many times have you seen them mounted directly in front of a headlight on a car? No air flow there makes it a useless effort. Gotta put them in the windflow somewhere. And I'd imagine the higher up the better to get the sound projected as far as possible.
post #3 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 1:14 am
IBR# 366

Garage
is right. The best i've been able to gather from hundreds of posts and threads in various forums is that the plastic whistles are pretty much useless, but make people feel better. There's some small evidence that electronic deer whistles may help, but it's inconclusive. And either way, deer are so unpredictable as to make any of the above pretty much useless.

My plan is to get the biggest HID lights I can that fit on the bike and use my own eyes as much as possible. That may not be much, but it did work last weekend when I came around a corner at 70 mph and saw the deer in my lane with plenty of time to stop.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-L
The bad that I've heard is that it confuses the deer and they will start to run rather than stand still like when lights hit them in the eye.
Horned rats are always confused and never do what's anticipated. The trick is to see them first. I've always like flashing the high beams when rounding a curve or after topping a hill (if no on else is coming) as that makes them look and you can see their devilish eye's reflecting.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 7:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Whether on the bike or in a car, IF you can see the varmints it's always been my experience that honking the horn is a good way to break them out of their trance. A few honks apparently tells them this is something they want to get away from. They always turns the opposite direction and run away. So far, it's worked every time.

This doesn't help for the situation where the deer is running out of the woods and into your path.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 7:17 am

Not another Deer Thread?

I put the Deer whistle in the demon bell category. It really is a joke, but unlike the demon bell, I wouldn't even put the deer whistle on the bike.

Demon bells are just "one of those" things that you put on the bike!

But, it has to given to you! After all, we wouldn't want to "curse" it now would we!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #7 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 7:46 am

Smile here is my observation

Had two of them on my bike when the deer hit me! I think deer are so skitesh that nothing but luck and the grace of god well help you when those things run out in front of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Here in Iowa a major source of motorvehicle insurance claims is from collisions with deer. It's one of the reasons I try to avoid riding at night. They sell those deer whistle things that you mount on your bumper and are supposed to somehow, I don't know, scare the deer off, or something. Has anyone tried it on a bike and/or have idea if they really work?

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 7:50 am

I sell the Hornet electronic deer whistle on my website. It was invented by a motorcyclist who had lost a good friend who hit a deer while riding his motorcycle.

When we first started selling it, I had read many articles about how they don't work, etc. and I was truly in that camp. However, my business partner has had them on his car has heard several anecdotal first hand accounts of people having Hornets installed on their vehicles & not had them turned on when they saw a deer. The second they turned them on, the deer ran. This has also happened to my business partner as well.

However, where he lives there is either a municipal or state park, I forget which, that attracts a lot of deer & these deer are accustomed to people driving by in cars as well as being fed by people in cars. He has intentionally driven near these deer without the Hornet turned on & then turned it on when the deer were in his path on the road. The deer were totally unaffected.

On our website, we also have a report that was done in Modoc County California of a test that the county ran using The Hornet and an air actuated deer whistle. The results did indicate that fewer deer hits occurred in the vehicles that were equipped with deer whistles.

IMNSHO, is impossible to either prove or disprove if any type of deer whistles work or don't work 100% of the time, but I believe my partner's story, so I do think they work some of the time.

We carried The Hornet for several years before I was convinced they work, if even occasionally. When I got my new bike last year, i put one on it. I still watch for deer constantly, because even the manufacturer says they aren't magic, but I've seen too much evidence to believe they don't work some of the time, and for me, that is enough to get me to put one on my bike.

The way I see it, I'm not willing to bet my life against the small price of The Hornet that they Don't work 100% of the time. Helmets don't work 100% of the time either, but I still choose to wear one. If it only works the one time I really need it to, it is worth it to me.

Kevin

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 8:18 am Thread Starter

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
I sell the Hornet electronic deer whistle on my website. It was invented by a motorcyclist who had lost a good friend who hit a deer while riding his motorcycle.

When we first started selling it, I had read many articles about how they don't work, etc. and I was truly in that camp. However, my business partner has had them on his car has heard several anecdotal first hand accounts of people having Hornets installed on their vehicles & not had them turned on when they saw a deer. The second they turned them on, the deer ran. This has also happened to my business partner as well.

However, where he lives there is either a municipal or state park, I forget which, that attracts a lot of deer & these deer are accustomed to people driving by in cars as well as being fed by people in cars. He has intentionally driven near these deer without the Hornet turned on & then turned it on when the deer were in his path on the road. The deer were totally unaffected.

On our website, we also have a report that was done in Modoc County California of a test that the county ran using The Hornet and an air actuated deer whistle. The results did indicate that fewer deer hits occurred in the vehicles that were equipped with deer whistles.

IMNSHO, is impossible to either prove or disprove if any type of deer whistles work or don't work 100% of the time, but I believe my partner's story, so I do think they work some of the time.

We carried The Hornet for several years before I was convinced they work, if even occasionally. When I got my new bike last year, i put one on it. I still watch for deer constantly, because even the manufacturer says they aren't magic, but I've seen too much evidence to believe they don't work some of the time, and for me, that is enough to get me to put one on my bike.

The way I see it, I'm not willing to bet my life against the small price of The Hornet that they Don't work 100% of the time. Helmets don't work 100% of the time either, but I still choose to wear one. If it only works the one time I really need it to, it is worth it to me.

Kevin
Can you email me your web info?

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #10 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 8:48 am

Wink Who can resist...

a deer whistle thread?

I don't have a deer whistle installed.
I do have a "demon bell". (I didn't know they were called that).
The bell only works if it was given to you by someone. Grif gave me mine. Actually he gave me two. I lost the first one when a deer kicked off the Moto-light the bell was attached to. At first I reported that the bell hadn't worked since I hit a deer (the deer hit me?). But then I realized that the bell clearly had worked (clear as a bell?) since the only damage of this deer strike was to the MotoLight. This deer came out of the woods crossed right in front of us (riding two-up), I had zero reaction time. The bike shuddered and kept on tracking. Pulled over to inspect only to find only the MotoLight and bell missing.

Now about deer whistles, bear with me here:

A man passed out in a public park. A passer by who knew CPR assessed the guy and started CPR. A crowd gathered. The CPR went on for a long time before the EMTs got there. From somewhere in the back of the crowd, someone yelled: "Give him an enema!". The CPR continued without any success, and then the EMTs arrived. They hooked up the LifePak and and IV without any success. The guy in the back yelled again: "Give him an enema!" After contining attempts to revive the victim, and continuing yelling from the guy in the crowd: "Give him and enema!", the victim was transported and presumed dead. After the victim was gone the first responder and one of the EMTs sought out the guy who had been yelling and asked him why he kept shouting "Give him an enema".
The guy replied: "Well, nothing you guys were doing was making any difference, I figured giving him an enema couldn't hurt anything."

So back to deer whistles, having a deer whistle probably can't hurt anything.
post #11 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 9:55 am

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #12 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 10:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
They sell those deer whistle things that you mount on your bumper and are supposed to somehow, I don't know, scare the deer off, or something. Has anyone tried it on a bike and/or have idea if they really work?

I really think it works.
I bought a pair, but never got a chance to install on the bike, then I left it on my garage, and so far, I never saw any deer near by my house.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #13 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 3:38 pm

Thumbs up Hornet electronic whistle

I mounted a Hornet on by bike and can testify that it works. I was on a quiet open rode near dusk when a doe, a yearling and a couple of fawns were about to cross the rode and would have done so at the exact time I got to them, but with the whistle on, they looked directly at me and were startled, turned right around and disaster was averted.
post #14 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 4:12 pm

Whistles and bells?

It doesn't surprise me that the "bell" topic came up on a whistle thread,
as both of those only work if "you" believe in them

I have a friend who after riding many years and hundreds of thousands of miles,
installed a set of deer whistles on his bike, a week later he "hit a deer"
He'll tell you them whistles are dangerous and attract deer,

What I don't understand about the "demon" bell superstision is,
there are some of "you guys" who don't believe in a God,
but you'll believe in a bell?

I've been fortunate and have never hit a deer,
however I have hit a pheasant, rabbit, dog, turkey vulture and last year an Elk,
There's just not enough room to put all those different types of whistles on my bike.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #15 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 6:15 pm Thread Starter

Cute

So,either a deer whistle or an enema should have about the same effect? Well, the deer whistle is a little less invasive, so...

Greg

post #16 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2007, 6:40 pm

Then fun of it...

Isn't part of the fun of riding a motorcycle the challenge of getting to your destination and back without hitting something or being hit.

A man has to know his limitations....

2009 K1300 GT - Royal Blue Metallic
2006 K1200 LT - Storm Gray Metalic

BMWMOA
BMW.LT
post #17 of 18 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:31 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
I have a friend who after riding many years and hundreds of thousands of miles, installed a set of deer whistles on his bike, a week later he "hit a deer." He'll tell you them whistles are dangerous and attract deer,
Obviously, your friend installed them backwards.

Y'all are lucky you just have deer to look out for. Down in SoCal, it's the clueless cell phone wielding SUV drivers we have to watch out for. They're far more prevalent, and far more dangerous. Some days it's like a video game out there, except you only get one life.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 18 Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 8:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Smile I don't know if they work?

My kids bought them for me, before I put them on I had several near misses and since I put them on, I haven't so I will keep them on. They sure are a conversation piece.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in