Problems? Maybe you have a SONY root kit installed on your computer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2005, 8:43 am Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Problems? Maybe you have a SONY root kit installed on your computer

As a general rule I do not forward emails that warn of terrible things, because - quite frankly - most of them are pure BS. This one is different. It is VERY WELL documented by highly respectable internet sources. Please feel free to check it out in any manner you feel you need to. (Here's a quick way to see how bad it is. Go to Google and type in: DRM +"Sony BMG "

Sony has gone too far this time. If you play a Sony CD on your computer you could be asking for major problems. In order to try to make sure that you don't copy one of their CDs, "Sony BMG is using copy-protected CDs to surreptitiously install its digital rights management (DRM) technology onto PCs. You don't have to be ripping the CD, either--just playing it from your CD-ROM drive triggers the installation." Furthermore, if "you put the CD into your PC in order to enjoy your music. Sony grabs this opportunity to sneak into your house like a virus and set up camp, and it leaves the backdoor open so that Sony or any other enterprising intruder can follow and have the run of the place."

You can read the whole story by following these links. The first two should convince you to never, ever, ever, never buy another Sony CD. I don't swap files. I was even on the side of the recording companies in their fight against Napster and their ilk. That said, this is way beyond reason. My respect for Sony took a dive this morning that it will never recover from. I wont buy another Sony product. What you do is up to you, but be warned, if you play a Sony CD on your computer, you are asking for trouble.

Check out the full story below,

http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-6376...ml?tag=nl.e501

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=2092

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...al-rights.html

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/commen...ippled_cd.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-6361348-1.html

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...ws_Environment.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2005, 9:20 am

Check yesterday's post #14621

As I said there, I already have sworn off Sony due to poor quality in their electronics. Also because of poor support when you do have a problem.

It was pretty easy to avoid Sony branded electronics, but now we have to closely check CDs to make sure they are not Sony.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2005, 9:37 am
Bouncer

And not all Sony products are labeled as Sony. Many artists are under one of the many BMG labels.

Since everything coming out these days are packaged one-hit-wonders, I have started getting my music online through iTunes. And just to be sure I can play my music on the off chance that iTunes goes under, I just convert the protected AAC files to MP3 files by burning and ripping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Andy, I've been following this mess for a little over a week now. See my post from yesterday.

Sony has stepped in doo-doo big time. Already lawsuits being readied. Many, MANY people are hacked off at Sony. Letters to states attorneys general. etc. Sony's first response was to modify the EULA to make it a breach to attempt to disable or reverse engineer or de-compile their crappy piece of SW. And to make matters worse, the "patch" and "uninstall" didn't, and hosed machines even worse. I saw one report of a MS Vista beta PC immediately BSoD and un-recoverable.

Many postings about this from people in the UK, where the software was actually written. This software, from what I've read and researched, very clearly makes Sony criminally liable under several UK laws. Although Sony _says_ the software was not on CDs sold in EU, many Brits apparently have in hand the rootkit from CDs they purchased locally.

Wording of the (PoS) DMCA looks like Sony may be in violation of that also.

I don't share music files. I also don't buy much music on CD. I'll never ever buy another Sony product, and am considering selling what I do have (camera, CD player). I am making an attempt to let people I know about this, particularly because I'm likely to be the one called to fix several relative's PCs when this rootkit hoses their systems.

I think that if there is even a very minor boycott of Sony products this (gift giving holiday of your choice) season, they'll wake up. But for me, never again a Sony product.

I'm trying to find a link I saw to a listing of all of Sony's music labels, will post it when I find it again.

Jason.

Jason
Kansas City

'00 K1200LT
'12 Triumph Tiger 800
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2005, 3:21 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
"If you have a Mac computer you can copy the songs using your iTunes Player as you would normally do."

Gotta love it. It turns out that this isn't really about DRM or copying of music at all, but more of an attack on Apple by Sony. More messy corporate politics that unfortunately target the consumer as pawns.

I just hope we don't start getting embroiled in all this stuff when Apple switches to Intel processors. Hopefully, they will have protected the kernel software better than Microsoft has managed to do.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 16th, 2005, 12:00 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

And it gets even worse ...

Sony's "FIX" for the booboo they produced is even worse than the original problem!

here is a discussion of the "fix"

Bottom line: There seem to be a couple of idiotic jokers making descisions...

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

post #7 of 11 Old Nov 16th, 2005, 12:13 pm

thanks, andy.
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 18th, 2005, 4:40 am

The damage has already been done to Sony's reputation, but it sounds like they have finally seen the error in their policy:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...111605X,00.asp
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 18th, 2005, 7:53 am

Makes my XM seem even better. I have sworn off all Sony electronics products now for the last 6 years and now I'll have to do that for their CD's.

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 18th, 2005, 8:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

I'm with you on that! I don't like burning CD's and never have. XM radio is sooooo much easier. Now that all XM stations are on Directv, I can listen to them at home as well as the car or BMW.

I am also not sure why anti virus software manufactuers haven't picked up on this and released a spyware or virus fix that wouldn't allow this kind of intrusion.

Couldn't you just return the CD and get your money back since it won't play cause it has an infection?

Geez, as if people don't already have enough things to fool with where computers are concerned!

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 21st, 2005, 3:06 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Step No.: 2 State of Texas sues Sony BMG

Texas sues Sony

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in