Atgatt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old May 20th, 2007, 1:57 am Thread Starter

Atgatt

After reading and responding to RAffy's unforturnate accident I could not help but reflect on an observation on the morning commute this week. Passed a rider going the other way. He had a half-hemet on and a bandanna around his face to keep the cold off.

I guess he felt the need to keep the cold off his face because it did not feel very good. So unfortunate that he will not have the time to slip on the full face helmet when he has the unexpected accident. My guess is that scraping his face across the pavement, at 70 mp is not going to feel very good either. Interesting in the choices that we make isn't it.

I no longer debate folks on the issue, I guess my 'mission' is long over. I just fail to have any sympathy for those who do not take advantage of the many easy ways to fully protect themselves all the time. It is not like the safety formula is a secret. But I guess we (myself included) can always do more and I need to get off my morally superior soap box. I just don't like to hear when people die or get hurt and have not taken the necessary steps to stay protected.

I am very glad that Raffy had taken the precautions. I can only reflect on an accident I had about 30 years ago now. In the end, my full face helmet had 1/8th inch deep scribes all across the front. I feel 'fortunate', make that 'smart', that I am here today, looking the way I do.

Please be safe. Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old May 20th, 2007, 7:34 am

Ken,

I think that everyone would protect themselves if they believed they were going to wreck. Of course if they believed that they wouldn't ride a motorcycle most likely. Many people go through life without wrecking any vehicle, but I would guess most have some type of minor accident and many aren't their faults. If people took the time to reflect on this bit of information they may very well change their minds and wear more gear.

Gear is kinda like an insurance policy, but people are left with the choice unlike most insurance policies and also unlike most insurance policies, gear is a physical inconvenience to many where the insurance is just money and they are programmed for that.

To change peoples behavior usually takes intervention and it won't happen for gear. Look at the controversies with Helmet laws themselves a minimum attempt at safety regulation.

I ride with gear because I choose too. I had a couple close calls when I had my GSXR 15 years ago that made me think I could die on a bike. When I began riding again 1 1/2 years ago when I got the LT I made a conscious choice that I would wear protective clothing and of course wouldn't be hot rodding around either.

I take a lot of ribbing from my older brother who rides a Wing. He always jokes about seeing someone in full gear and asking them if they ride a BMW since his perception is that BMW riders wear gear. I always tell him that we're smart enough to ride the best bike in the world and smart enough to protect our assets. He has finally boughten some gear, but still rides without it when it's hot. I hope and pray he never finds out why he needs it, but I cannot make him. I also hope that I continue to rub off on him since I have seen a little change as he continues to buy gear.

My father has also ridden for many many years (50+) and only wears mesh jacket when he can do so comfortably. He even rides in shorts once in a while to go get lunch. He never comments on my choice to wear it and I don't tell him he should.

Bottom line is that it comes down to choice and your personal stance on whether it could happen to you. I believe it can but hope it never does. I have neve used my insurance policies on my Auto or Home so they are way ahead and I want to keep it that way.

I personally think people are foolish if they don't wear it and I am with you on the not debating thing. It's an exercise in futility.

Ride hard, have fun, and protect your assets!!!

Thanks for the thought provoking follow up to Raffy's unfortunate "take off".

Regards,

Randy

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in