Arch Type Steel Buildings - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 8:54 am Thread Starter

Arch Type Steel Buildings

As made by Pioneer Steel, SteelMasters, Crown International.

Does anyone have any experience with these type of buildings?

I am looking to put one up, Or not depending on any info I can glean...

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 9:10 am

John - These used to be fairly common in my area (I have had two my-self) and were used mostly on farms as storage buildings. We call them "Quonsets". I had two issues with them - firstly, because of their shape there is a considerable amount of lost space with-in four feet of the side walls and secondly they are very difficult to insulate (although that may not be an issue in your area).
Most people here are now using "pole buildings" as an alternative. (instead of studding for the skeleton of the building poles are used app. every 8 feet).
Hope this helps in your decision making.
post #3 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 9:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

Probably the biggest supplier of pole buildings is Morton.......................
can be configured any way you want and insulated if needed...............

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #4 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 9:20 am Thread Starter

Thanks Chief,

I am also looking at the conventional Truss I-beam steel buildings as well..

Getting one with straight sides so I should get almost all of the space..

Just worried about them being complete crap or something like that.

They say their warranty is 30 years. But of course that's only good if the company is still in business....

I can probably put the arch type up myself but I'd need some heavy equipment to put the I-beam buliding together, so that's a factor as well..

Anyone else put one of these up ?

Thanks

John

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 9:27 am

Steel building

I have an "A" type building from Global Steel. It is 20x30 and I believe it is 14' at the peak. I am very happy with the overall outcome of the building but of course I would have done a few things differently. The first is not to listen to the sales guy so much and do like you are and ask others. I find they can be somewhat high pressure in sales and little help in getting you what you actually need.

If you use a contractor most issues I had will not be a problem for you. If you plan on doing it on your own you will need manpower and equipment to make the job go smoothly.

Once done they are strong buildings even though when you get the first hoop standing it is very flimsy. The building did well in the Hurricanes Francis and Jeanne.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dave

Dave Fuchs
2005 K1200LT
2001 R1200C (wife's)
1985 KLR 250
2002 John Deere 4110
1946 Piper J-3
IBA# 42191
post #6 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 9:29 am

I helped my buddy put his together one wkend. man o man, BOXES of nuts, bolts and washers.

We'd lift one piece up at a time by using the pickup truck with a platform he built for it to stand on and support the piece while one of us got a few bolts in, then move the truck around as needed to reach/install the other bolts.

its not a bad job, but I'd recommend a couple of things...first, an impact wrench!! And second, really good gloves. I had leathers on and they still wore thru in short order handling all the bolts that were plated. That stuff is tuff on your skin too (the plating, galvanized if I recall correctly).

I'm not sure what to think about those things, other than I think they'd stand up to any kind of weather or snow-loading, maybe even tornadoes!

I'd think you'd have to spray foam insulate but I'm dated, this was a few years back.

regards...geo
post #7 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 9:32 am

Hey, John - you being in Tornado Alley, this outfit looks interesting. I have no clue about 'em, just found 'em by accident when a friend of mine wuz looking for a metal building to be DIY down in the Cayman Islands area. I never heard what he finally did, butt I can ax him (might be awhile, as we do snail mail 'til he gets SkyPe on his 'puter system this fall).

http://www.us-buildings-direct.com/index.htm?cmp=2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
As made by Pioneer Steel, SteelMasters, Crown International.

Does anyone have any experience with these type of buildings?

I am looking to put one up, Or not depending on any info I can glean...

Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

John
Hey, John

Last edited by Dick; Apr 4th, 2007 at 9:35 am. Reason: Duh
post #8 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 1:37 pm

Those arched corrugated steel buildings were also known as Andersen Shelters in the UK - they were used as bomb shelters during the second world war. Not very good at stopping bombs even if covered with dirt as was recommended, but great as garden sheds. Not many left now.
post #9 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 3:04 pm

I have been looking at steel buildings for a shop since I started searching for a new home. Looking for something that can be made to closely match a home in color and traditional style. So far, these are on top of my list:

http://www.kstbuild.com/

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeemer
Those arched corrugated steel buildings were also known as Andersen Shelters in the UK - they were used as bomb shelters during the second world war. Not very good at stopping bombs even if covered with dirt as was recommended, but great as garden sheds. Not many left now.
NWL's finest - erected in 1952 and still goin strong !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nwl.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	10853  

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #11 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 3:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs down Warranties

"They say their warranty is 30 years. But of course that's only good if the company is still in business...."

Warranties are written by the attorneys whose jobs it is to protect the assets of the manufacturer. They are excellent marketing tools unless you read the document(s) and find that you have given up your rights under the Uniform Commercial Code and your 1st born! (kidding)

I purchased some "high end" French doors to the outside deck from a very reputable manufacturer and had their contractor install them. As I recall the cost was> $3K.

Anyway, when I received the "Warranty" there was a specific exclusion related to water intrusion. They were Warranted to be doors manufactured to their specification and to open and close . . that's it.

Fortunately, I've never had any leakage.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #12 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 3:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Something not addressed yet is aesthetics. The steel arch-type buildings fill a need, but I've never seen one that looked nice after a short time. Pole buildings (like Morton, etc.) can be made to look any way you want and can match a house very nicely.

Steel-frame/-trussed buildings are even better: no wood to rot, bigger spans, and higher clearances, but you'll need a contractor or 2 other people to help. My son put up a 30x40x14 steel building with the help of the homebuilder and his wife.

Spend the money and insulate it. I wish I had; the building you've seen at my place is uninsulated, and it would be a lot more usable in cold weather if it was. Sure, I could go back and add insulation but what a royal PITA that would be -- everything has to get moved away from the walls.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #13 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 3:56 pm

It's sort of a left turn since you're thinking of steel, but what about a post and beam carriage shed? They can be purchased pre-cut so you only need to follow the color-coding and assemble to the print. It will last a LOT longer than 30 years, looks good, is easy to insulate and the space is utilized very well.
JM2CW

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #14 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 4:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I don't know anything a bought steel arch-type buildings

But I did have Morton put up a shed for me . it is 42'x60' with a 14' side wall . It was more money then a steel arch-type building I was looking at , but I think it was worth it . ...Patric ...
http://www.mortonbuildings.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2536.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	10854  

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #15 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Decision made.

Well, I decided to go with Global Steel based upon price, and a good BBB recommendation and a reference from Dave. Thanks Dave.

30 X 40 X 16 high Type S (straight sides round top )
18GA AZ180 Galvalume Steel. 30 Yr Warranty.
2-Turbine ventilator adapters.
Solid rear end wall and front end wall with OHD opening 12 X 12.
Industrial baseplates and endplates.
8.2 grade fasteners..

Hereafter to be known as

"The Johnster Garage"

Quote:
I have an "A" type building from Global Steel.
Thanks, That is the company that I've decided to go with..
How's it holding up ?

Quote:
I helped my buddy put his together one wkend. man o man, BOXES of nuts, bolts and washers.

We'd lift one piece up at a time by using the pickup truck with a platform he built for it to stand on and support the piece while one of us got a few bolts in, then move the truck around as needed to reach/install the other bolts.
Yeah, I am planning on renting an off road fork lift to both unload the truck and then do all the lifting as well...Probably a set or two of scaffolding to expedite the fastener installs.

Quote:
Hey, John - you being in Tornado Alley, this outfit looks interesting.
Dick, I gave them a call and they wouldn't even bid me a building. As a matter of fact, the rep said he'd bet me that I'd never see that building at the price quoted.. Wound up going with Global..

Quote:
"They say their warranty is 30 years. But of course that's only good if the company is still in business...."
You said a mouthfull there brother...

Quote:
Something not addressed yet is aesthetics. The steel arch-type buildings fill a need, but I've never seen one that looked nice after a short time. Pole buildings (like Morton, etc.) can be made to look any way you want and can match a house very nicely.
The quonset hut type buildings are quite common out here and I personally don't think they look "too" bad....Unfortunately the budget won't handle much more than this.. And I have to have some room...

Thanks everyone for all your input..

Now who's coming over to help me put this sucker together ???
I'll put you up in "Old Yeller" and buy all the food and beer necessary to complete the job...

John

post #16 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 8:11 pm

Sounds like we need to start scheduling some barn raisings. We had them regularly in Southwest Virginia and in another year or so I expect to have one at my place. Oklahoma's a bit far for me but post the time anyway.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #17 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 8:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The straight sides will add a lot of room/value/usefulness to the building. Good job.

So... when are you scheduling the Tech Session? A building that big can hold a bunch o' bikes! Although if it's like most buildings you'll find ways to fill it up quickly.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #18 of 21 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

First tech session this fall !

Barn raising sometime late May or early June.

More details as the project develops....

John

post #19 of 21 Old Apr 5th, 2007, 9:52 am

How much money

I always hated Morton buildings, and it was not their fault nor a bad building. Friend had one put up 40x80' I believe.
Could have had the same size, pinned post & beam build by the Amish for 2K more. with a loft and stalls .
He lists that near the top of his pennywise pound foolish exploits.
Fox ridge fab needs extra space, they are looking at 4 storage containers 8x40 set in pairs of 2 end to end length wise and parallel to each other. Then dropping 60' trusses to span the gap.
The shipping containers can be configured lots of ways, they are talking about multiple roll up doors in each.
Of course they have all the equipment to move this large stuff around and Jeff is a US Navy cert Nuclear welder (thats saves many K) you need a tractor just to move his tool box.
Its not a bad idea, I showed them the pictures from Howards place with the covered apron outside the roll up, they really liked the thought of covered work space out in the fresh air.
Rock
PS they don't worry about heat they have gas wells on the property.

I'll will poisons the soul
Living well is the best revenge

Rock

post #20 of 21 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 6:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
(might be awhile, as we do snail mail 'til he gets SkyPe on his 'puter system this fall).
Yeah, like you use that with any frequency.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #21 of 21 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Yeah, like you use that with any frequency.
Hey, I turn it on when I know you're working and can't call!!

I'd prolly have it on more often if I had a pole barn or a metal building, instead of the doghouse I'm usually in!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in