Thank you from Don Arthur - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 10:06 am Thread Starter

Thank you from Don Arthur

Oh my GOSH!!! Thank you ALL so very much for the wonderful video from CCR. I so much appreciate the warm sentiments everyone expressed and was moved to tears when viewing the ovation at the banquet in the last scene.

A special thanks to JA (Averill) Townsend who was the producer, editor, and director. It's a truly professional job!!

I feel so blessed to have such great friends and only hope I can repay your kindness in some way. I will plan to attend CCR next year so I can properly thank everyone. I may, however, not be on an LT since I need to let the insurance and other legal issues resolve before I'll have the money. I do have an R1150RT-P that's capable of getting me to Georgia!

Just for the record, my trusty LT's odometer reads 306,233 miles.

I'm recovering well. It's been 6 weeks and I'm just now able to walk for 15 minutes with crutches without significant discomfort. I'll try to return to work on Monday - part time. This has been a test of patience just waiting for the many pelvic fractures to heal... but I've been a good patient and followed my doctor's orders!

Best regards from your grateful friend!

Don

Don Arthur
Northern Virginia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 10:26 am

Garage
Thumbs up

Hi, Don:

I was just thinking of you when I saw you had written a post. I'm very happy to read that you're doing better. I too am planning to go to CCR next year, as Georgia is close to Florida, and I can more easily get enough time off from the hospital to ride up and back. I look forward to meeting you and the other wonderful people from this forum and wish you a continued speedy recovery. Be well.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
17 Rolls Royce Wraith
18 BMW 750i
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #3 of 19 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 11:25 am

Don,

If there is anything we can do let us know

sam

post #4 of 19 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 11:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Good to hear you are up and around Don. It will be a prevelidge to meet you at next years CCR!

Stew
post #5 of 19 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 11:40 am

Good to hear from you Don! Sounds like you are mending well - I pray that that continues.

Maybe you could salvage the odometer and, mount it on a plaque and display it in your office or garage....
post #6 of 19 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 11:42 am
Just ridin'

Don;

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I am sorry we weren't able to include one thing - Just before we were to start recording for you in the CCR Board meeting, Larry Rosenstiel, Amy, Buzz and Mary Mares all come through the board room like a train. Amy was dressed only in a towell. Seems they locked themselves out of their room and the only way to get back in was through the room we were holding our board meeting in.

Too bad Averill's camera wasn't rolling.

As you can tell from the video, people were very anxious to send you their get well wishes. The video is but a small sample of the flood of support among our community. I am so glad Don Norwood and Averill were able to put it together for you. We hope to put the video up on this site in the next few days.

Michelle and I have had you in our thoughts and prayers and we look forward to seeing you on the road soon.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 19 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 12:20 pm

Smile

Don,
It was an honor to gather so much good will and focus it in your direction! The folks at CCR and on this site truly are a special group. Of course it helps when the guy you are cheering for just happens to be a real live American Hero! Get well fast and sure! I look forward to meeting you at CCR ’06 or on some wonderful road in one of the far corners of this great country.

Averill Townsend
post #8 of 19 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 12:50 pm

Don - Glad to hear you're on the mend!

"I may, however, not be on an LT since I need to let the insurance and other legal issues resolve before I'll have the money."

What, you're thinking your insurance company won't reimburse much for a bike with 306k miles? That's like a collectors item!

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

post #9 of 19 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 6:24 pm

Thank you from Don Arthur M.D., Vice Adm, USN

Don wrote:

>but I've been a good patient and followed my doctor's orders!<

Which makes you all the more remarkeable (for a Doc). Get well soon.

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
Hanford, CA
post #10 of 19 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 6:34 pm

Smile

Nice to see you posting again Don. And soon, RIDING! (Don't worry. It'll go faster than you think. It always does, doesn't it?) See you soon! Until then, keep flexxing those patience muscles!
post #11 of 19 Old Oct 1st, 2005, 9:37 pm

IBA Paper Run?

Don,
Did you run the rally on paper? I have an image of you pulling up all the checkpoints and bonus options and planning the routes as if you were in the mix. How'd you do? It was fun to talk to you via the tape. Maybe in Georgia, you can schedule a showing so we can see how everyone else did in the spotlight.

Wayne 'Doc' Edkin, Blossvale, NY
CCR Director, (Chairman: 2014, 2015, 2017)
'16 R1200RLC, '09R1200GSw/'16 CSM Sidecar, '05 K1200LTw/'09 Hannigan Sidecar, '74 R60/6 { '99 K1200LT (traded @ 62K}.

2000 First LT Gathering at The Gondola. CCRs: 2003 Gatlinburg, 2004 Breckenridge, 2005 Jackson Hole, 2006 Braselton, 2007 Osage Beach, 2008 Midway, 2010 Killington, 2011 Boise, 2012 Duluth, 2013 Bend, 2014 Chattanooga, and finally 2015 Coeur d'Alene.

post #12 of 19 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 2:53 am

Thumbs up Glad to be reading your words, Don

First visit to the new site and I find your encouraging words.
Kicks butt.

Glad to read that you're at least up and around.

You've been in our prayers and hearts since I heard about your incident.

Take care my friend,

Stick
Republik of Northern Kalifornia
AH47, IM#2, FHBE#6
post #13 of 19 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 4:26 am
vvk

Thumbs up Hi

Hey Don,

Good to see you posting again AND on the mend!
Knowing you a little you still need to flex that patient Urr, patience muscle.
You must have been up the wall trying to channel your energy.

Hopefully pelvic fractures don't interfere too much with riding, when your doctor gives you the go.
Or do you have him listen to you

It is truly great to see people on this site putting together a message of friendship for you.
Can't wait till the video is in the pages.

Only the other day I thought about you reading the odo meter.
A 123456 and trip on 789 will make for a nice photo.
122,667 will be coming up soon. Great idea!

Please give Bean and your daughters my best, and heal well and soon.

Time to get that old HD from under the flag?

Enclosed some pics from the Alps to tease you into coming to Europe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1581_34_1.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	52   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1584_37_1.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	53   Click image for larger version

Name:	img00052_7_1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	54   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1578_31_1.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	55  

Miles of smiles of miles of smiles of...
The hardest thing to do on a K1200LT is riding it home.

Vic
Booze Brother #1
Gandalf Grau
The Netherlands
post #14 of 19 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 7:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonArthur
I feel so blessed to have such great friends and only hope I can repay your kindness in some way. I will plan to attend CCR next year so I can properly thank everyone. I may, however, not be on an LT since I need to let the insurance and other legal issues resolve before I'll have the money. I do have an R1150RT-P that's capable of getting me to Georgia!

Don
Don you give alot to the motorcyling community, that is in itself as thanks in advance, at least IMHO.

as far as the bike, what about the '56 or '65? (ok the 56 might be hard to kick start or do you still have them, My '58 duo Glide will be done by then, so We could do a CCR on panheads

you do know God rides a Panhead right

BTW we are so glad you are on the mend.
Karen Lavona and I wish you the best!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #15 of 19 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 1:11 pm

Hey, Don!
Great to hear you are up and around, if only a little! Back to work? Now that is admirable!
Good to hear you are really noticing all the support for you out here. Many of us don't get (or take) a chance to see.
Heal well!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #16 of 19 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 3:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvk

Can't wait till the video is in the pages.

A 123456 and trip on 789 will make for a nice photo.
Indeed Victor! I'd love to come visit. I hope you'll be coming back to America soon so we can enjoy your company. You're welcome to ride my R1150RT-P when you come!

Yes, my 123456 photo was nice. But I didn't think to reset the odometer 789 miles before (at 121878 miles) to get the 123456-789 picture. I thought of it as I was sitting on the highway in Arizona taking the 123456 photo.

The video is wonderful. I was really in tears as I watched the ending. There is nothing in this world so special as friendship. And I am truly blessed!!

Best regards, Don

Don Arthur
Northern Virginia

post #17 of 19 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 3:48 pm

not to worry Don, I tried to reset my tripmeter when my odo read 098765 so the trip meter read 432/1, but the tripmeter was off by like 17 miles (i think)

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #18 of 19 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 8:51 pm

Smile Great news, Don!

Don,

It wonderful to hear that you are doing so well, so soon. Looking forward to seeing you at the CCR.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #19 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 8:30 am

Don, it was good speaking with you on the phone. I am also glad to hear that you are mending relatively quickly.

I am hoping to be in attendance of the next CCR as well and will be looking forward to seeing you there. When you gave the talk in N.C. last spring, I don't believe there was a dry eye in the room, including mine. Your presence here and the work you do for country and your men is a model we can all strive to live up to.

Thanks again for being a friend to us all!

Regards,
Woody aka SoberBiker

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
~Author Unknown~

'18 K1600 BGA (Yet to be named)
'16 Goldwing F6B (Traded)
'08 K1200LT - (Traded)
'07 K1200GT - (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in