Don't let your "StormReady" certification expire - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 6:11 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Don't let your "StormReady" certification expire

Or this might happen...

I guess this picture is from an ice storm that happened in Nebraska last week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 6:30 pm

Yah,

We're expecting one of those this weekend....Brrr.

Here's a couple of pics from our last one...

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic0029.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	9195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic0030.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	9196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic0034.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	9197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic0035.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	9198  

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #3 of 7 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Test ran my generator yesterday, got about 120 gallons of diesel fuel on hand. Just hope none of those branches come down on my roof.

B D R

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 8:35 pm

How long can you store it, Gunny. Do you put any additive in it? If so, what?

I've got a Honda gas powered, but am reluctant to store very much fuel because of its aging, not so much fire hazard.

'Course, I have a relative that picked up an old car in Tombstone that hadn't run since the 70's. He strained the gas out of it, and ran it out in his new Toyota pickup!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 12th, 2007, 9:05 pm

Sta-bil

Put some sta-bil in it and if diesel some anti-gel as well .. Should store for at least 6 months or so....

Gunny, I fired up my 5KW Onan yesterday as well....I figured if it was ready to go I wouldn't need it...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 7 Old Jan 13th, 2007, 7:06 pm

Diesel stores very well without any additives. I've run across somethat has been in storage for 25 years, still good. Biggy with diesel is to keep the water out of it, then no algae growing in it which starts the problems/break down. Biocide is nothing more than weed kiler, 2,4D to be exact, one of the components of Agent Orange, feel pretty strongly about not using it unless you absolutley have to. Doesn't get cold enough here to need anti-gel. The fuel tank is in the same space as the generator which is air cooled, blows warm air on the fuel tank, not at all worried about a gel problem.
I figure that 15 gallons will run for 24 hours or so. Generator is an Onan 12.5 DJC. If it gives up, got an other Onan 10 HDKA ready to go. With the 12.5, I can run everything in the house, with the 10, I'll have to be a little selective as to what I do run. Wife can't run the dishwasher, dry clothes, cook, bake and take a shower all the same time.

We had an ice storm a couple of years ago, power went out and generator came on. Neighbor drove by and noticed that eveything was dark except our house, he inquired as to why I had all the lights on, told him I was advertising.

B D R
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 14th, 2007, 8:01 am

Thanks Gunny! What a bunch of very useful information regarding diesel.

My question during the last outage we had was, how long do I need to the freezer and refrig when you don't have a large enough generator unit to power everything. (There is nothing you can monitor on a residential freezer, for example that shows the internal temp and when it would call for power and shut off if normal power were on.) In other words, if I don't open it, do I need to run it 2 hours in eight, or four hours in 24, or.......
With a refrigerator, where it will be used during the day, I assumed I'd need to have it on power during the day, and perhaps once in the middle of the night for a couple hours. Donno. Do you have any guidelines? There don't seem to be any available.

As for operating the generator, regardless of capacity, I see no need to run it at night after bed time, or daytime when at work or when not bathing or cooking...except for the requirement of keeping frozen things frozen. There are lots of things that can be cut out during a power failure, such as running large TV's, and the vacuum cleaner!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in