Hdtv Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 9:20 am Thread Starter

Hdtv Question

I know this has little or nothing to do with motorcycles but if Joe can ask "what camera should I buy" I figure a question on HDTV should be acceptable. Anyway, looking to replace my aging TV and have more or less decided on a 32/37" LCD HDTV. The question is, is there really a 2X difference between a name brand like Sony, Toshiba, etc and the not so name brands like VIZO, Viewsonic, etc. My aging eyes really can't discern a difference in picture quality sufficient to justify the difference in price. I've seen as much as a 2X increase for the name brands. Are the guts of the more expensive products really that much better such that the quality and life expectancy are worth the extra money?

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 9:34 am

My $.02 worth....

we have the same opinion about that sort of thang...butt, one of our 31" TV's was about to go so we found a great buy in a Samsung Plasma 42" and it is fine for what we watch. Outstanding, even. Not bad at $1499.

Only thang is...we bought an HDTV, right? Well, how come I never see Harleys on except on Two Wheel Tuesday and that Orange County Chopper show????

Oh, yeah, check with Circuit City...they are running about a hundred bucks cheaper than Best Buy!!!
post #3 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 9:55 am

I bought a 50 inch Vizio plasma at Christmas at Sam's for $1688.

Unless you have the tvs side by side....once you get it in your home you'll never know the difference. The picture is sharp and clear and will more than satisfy your requirements.

I think there was a Vizio 37 inch or so at Sam's too in LCD....they're now down in the $800 range or so.

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"

post #4 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 10:05 am

THe main thing with the HD is you need the source to be HD, so you first buy the tv and then upgrade your cable/satelite to HD. I just bought the Sony 50" DLP tv. I have not upgraded to HD source yet waiting for Direct tv to come out and install new dish and reciever. However, the DVD pic is amzingly clear. As wll as the XBOX 360 which is HD. I would bet that the PLasma vs the LCD vs the DLP would be hard to tell the difference with the Identical source. The reason I went with the DLP vs the other was the life expectancy of the DLP is a lot longer then the other two. Also the DLP will never get burnin. The plasma will burn in if the picture stays constant on it for an extended period of time. Not sure how long we are talking but I play video games so i did not want that problem.

Here is something else to get the size picture I wanted in a Plasma or LCD I had to spend quie a bit more and it would not fit in the space I needed it to. The plasma has about a 3 inch frame around the tv, example plasma 42 inch set was 47" across the top of the set. the DLP 50" was 47"inches across the top of the set.

One more thing, the dlp has a user replacable bulb. If the picture starts to fade in the DLP you can buy the bulb and replace it and you are back to brand new picture. once the plasma and lcd lose their picture time to buy a new one.

OH yeah one more thing, I wanted to make sure the tv was 1080P, this adds money to the cost.

Best thing to do is figure out what you want to spend and then find the tv you can live with for that budget. I set $2500 as my budget and actually spent only $2100.

Good luck.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

post #5 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
I know this has little or nothing to do with motorcycles but if Joe can ask "what camera should I buy" I figure a question on HDTV should be acceptable.
Hey Hey! Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute! That camera's going to be used while riding! Then again, I guess you could be mounting that HD TV on your LT, now couldn't ya?

FWIW, A) I think this forum is a great place to talk about TVs. and B) I don't know a darn thing about those things either.
post #6 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 10:48 am

Try "window" shopping and price comparo here:

http://www.crutchfield.com

No sales tax AND free delivery .... No relations ... just a happy customer...
Customer service is tops!
post #7 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Have you priced the replacement bulbs. We have a unit at work and the bulbs are $425 a crack and go up each year!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #8 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
THe main thing with the HD is you need the source to be HD, so you first buy the tv and then upgrade your cable/satelite to HD. I just bought the Sony 50" DLP tv. I have not upgraded to HD source yet waiting for Direct tv to come out and install new dish and reciever. However, the DVD pic is amzingly clear. As wll as the XBOX 360 which is HD. I would bet that the PLasma vs the LCD vs the DLP would be hard to tell the difference with the Identical source. The reason I went with the DLP vs the other was the life expectancy of the DLP is a lot longer then the other two. Also the DLP will never get burnin. The plasma will burn in if the picture stays constant on it for an extended period of time. Not sure how long we are talking but I play video games so i did not want that problem.

Here is something else to get the size picture I wanted in a Plasma or LCD I had to spend quie a bit more and it would not fit in the space I needed it to. The plasma has about a 3 inch frame around the tv, example plasma 42 inch set was 47" across the top of the set. the DLP 50" was 47"inches across the top of the set.

One more thing, the dlp has a user replacable bulb. If the picture starts to fade in the DLP you can buy the bulb and replace it and you are back to brand new picture. once the plasma and lcd lose their picture time to buy a new one.

OH yeah one more thing, I wanted to make sure the tv was 1080P, this adds money to the cost.

Best thing to do is figure out what you want to spend and then find the tv you can live with for that budget. I set $2500 as my budget and actually spent only $2100.

Good luck.
Have you priced the replacement bulbs. We have a unit at work and the bulbs are $425 a crack and go up each year!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #9 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:51 pm

I've been pondering this same thing for a while now. A friend just bought a 61" DLP Samsung at Best Buy for around $2K. He did some research and found that to be the best buy for him. Talking with others, I'm hearing:

Plasma screens have a tendency to fade or bleed colors over time. And there is a glare problem because of the glass screen

LCDs can have tiny lines or individual pixels go black. They seem to have the best viewing angle.

DLPs seem to have the brightest and best picture, but you have to be careful not to knock them around or you could risk knocking the mirrors out of adjustment. And according to that friend that just bought the Samsung, the bulbs are good for about 2yrs. Replacement cost he was quoted was around $250, and can be done by the user. DLP screens are also thicker than LCD or Plasma, and thus cannot be wall mounted.

Which one to get? Beats the heck outta me! I still can't decide!

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #10 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:53 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Hey Hey! Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute! That camera's going to be used while riding! Then again, I guess you could be mounting that HD TV on your LT, now couldn't ya?

FWIW, A) I think this forum is a great place to talk about TVs. and B) I don't know a darn thing about those things either.
Only if the LT goes on MTV's Pimp My Ride and the team at West Coast Customs gets a crack at it.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #11 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 1:51 pm

Big TV's

I have just bought a 32" Philips LCD TV with Amblight and I am very very pleased with it. Sharp bright picture with good sound that does not dominate the room like a larger set. When looking around the consensus seemed to be that LCD was the best if available in the size you wanted. If LCD contrast ratio is the most important - mine is about 6000 to 1. Someone else I know is involved in this sort of market and his opinion Samsung are making some of the best featured sets. As a hint when looking try and look at them if not side by side then close together.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...ESHQNHKFSEKI5P

is mine.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #12 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 2:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
I did and I also bought the 5 year warnty. They will cover the tv for any reason except visible damge ie throwing your remote at it. They will also do a once a year calibration for you and update any software. The warnty cost about $400. Figured it was worth it just for the calibrations.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #13 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13

OK Joe, since you put it that way. I'm gona use the new TV to get a better image of Michael Smith on the Bike show American Thunder! There, now my question has some motorcycle relevance!

To the rest of you, Thanks for the input. However, so far I haven't heard(or read) anything to suggest that the quality and longevity of a set is proportional to the price.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #14 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 2:39 pm
Just ridin'

Lynn;

I'll try to help. For qualification, I am the owner of the largest and oldest service company in Denver. We currently service over 20 different brands and I have been in the service business since 1969. We employ 12 technicians and employ an additional 9 as support staff.

It is amazing the amount of misinformation that gets circulated. There are currently four viable technologies for large display television. I would absolutely avoid any CRT based device - they are poor performers, unreliable and a technology on its way out.
  • Plasma - this display technology uses a plasma discharge to excite phosphors which create the visible light that makes the picture. While there were problems with panel life and contrast on the earlier devices most current models have a rated half life (point at which the brightness is cut in half) of 30-40,000 hours. The contrast on most new plasmas is in excess of 3,000:1 with some claiming up to 10,000:1. In plain English this is plenty of contrast to give you the lifelike zip most people want in a picture. One major downside of plasma displays is image retention. A static image can burn permanently into the phosphors. Plasma displays are very reliable and of all the repairs we do to plasmas, the expensive panel replacement is quite rare. Most plasmas are on the order of 1280x768 resolution, though you will begin to see the full 1920x1080 HDTV standard in the newest plasma displays.

• LCD Direct view - this is the same technology used in laptop computers. Most are back-lit by cold cathode fluorescent tubes. Beginning to appear are LED back-lit displays. The fluorescent tubes will age on an LCD and can cause reduced brightness after 10-20,000 hours. Additionally the color gamut (the whiteness) of the tubes is limited, usually resulting in a slightly cooler (more blue) picture. The LED back-light and Sony's 'wide gamut' fluorescent minimize this problem. LCD direct displays are generally lower in contrast and brightness than a plasma. They also have problems with image latency causing a slight blur in fast moving objects. They are generally 1280x768 displays but you wull begin to see full 1920x1080 resolution on the newest models. They are also very reliable and it is very rare to replace the expensive display panel. If the back-lights fail, in most models you will need to replace the panel.

• LCD projection - There are two types of displays passive and reflective. The best performance is in the reflective panels represented by Philips LCOS, Sony SXRD and JVC HD-DILA. These displays create an image by means of passing through or reflecting off of an LCD panel. They use a bright HID type light to provide the illumination and a separate LCD panel for each of the three primary colors. The most common failures are in the light or the ballast. The lights generally retail for $250-300 and should last 3-4000 hours between failures. There are a number of mirrors in the 'light engine' and one at the rear of the cabinet behind the screen. These mirrors do not come out of alignment with normal handling of the television. I have seen the rear mirror break when the set is mishandled, but have never seen the mirrors in the engine light path knocked out of alignment. They are aligned at the factory and bonded in place. If you have any other failure other than the lamp or ballast you will replace the entire engine. The most common displays are 1280x768 but there are more and more 1920x1080 models available. The newest units offer contrast ratios approaching those of Plasma displays by using an iris or aperture to control the light to the lens.

• DLP - These all use a multi-mirror chip designed by Texas Instruments. All current consumer models use a single DLP chip to produce the image and pass it through a spinning color wheel to separate the three primary colors. As in the LCD projection units they use an HID type light to provide the illumination. They also use a number of small mirrors in the light path inside the 'light engine' and one large one behind the screen. Like the LCD these small mirrors do not move and are bonded in place within the light engine. They do not get out of alignment. The most common failures are in the lamp, ballast and color wheel. The lamps are similar to the LCD units and generally retail for $250-300. If the failure is beyond these items the engine gets replaced as a unit, though some service companies will not attempt a color wheel replacement. It is also possible to replace the DLP device, but I am not comfortable with field alignment of this component. Failures beyond the lamp, color wheel and ballast are infrequent.

What would I suggest? Look at all of the units and buy the one that pleases you in terms of physical dimensions and picture performance. In my basement I have a JVC 56" 1080p HD-DILA projection set because it gives me the best home theater performance for movies and sports. Upstairs I have a Panasonic plasma because its brightness and contrast are the best for that brightly lit room. in our bedroom we have a 32" Sony XBR LCD, because it offers the best picture in that smaller size. The Sony uses wide gamut back-lighting and provides a very good picture, but slightly less contrast than the JVC in the basement and much less than the plasma. Be careful to filter the information given by sales people as they are given incentives to sell a certain model of set. Also filter the information given to you by other consumers because much of the information floating around is completely false. Don't hesitate to post questions in this thread and I will do my best to answer.

Service contracts - these may be a good idea as they will mitigate your losses should you encounter an expensive failure. Some policies do not cover lamps and most do not cover routine cleanings. The service policy providers do make money, so you would likely be ahead self-insuring if you spread this over a fair amount of purchases. You also need to make sure the policy is underwritten by a true insurance company. If the extended warranty provider folds and is not insured, in some states you are out of luck.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #15 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 2:46 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
OK Joe, since you put it that way. I'm gona use the new TV to get a better image of Michael Smith on the Bike show American Thunder! There, now my question has some motorcycle relevance!

To the rest of you, Thanks for the input. However, so far I haven't heard(or read) anything to suggest that the quality and longevity of a set is proportional to the price.
I didn't directly address this question above. The reliability of the name brands is slightly better. Whether this would affect your purchase is up for grabs. I do know the performance of JVC, Mitsubishi, Sony, Hitachi and Toshiba seem to be better than some of the lesser priced brands. You will have to weigh the price versus performance on your own subjective viewpoint. Those five above are among the best in the business if you do have a failure. If you don't have a failure then their support doesn't matter. LG and Samsung are up and comers in terms of performance and remain a little less expensive. Panasonic makes a very good product but doesn't seem committed to service. Sharp is very weak on service.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #16 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 3:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
I didn't directly address this question above. The reliability of the name brands is slightly better. Whether this would affect your purchase is up for grabs. I do know the performance of JVC, Mitsubishi, Sony, Hitachi and Toshiba seem to be better than some of the lesser priced brands. You will have to weigh the price versus performance on your own subjective viewpoint. Those five above are among the best in the business if you do have a failure. If you don't have a failure then their support doesn't matter. LG and Samsung are up and comers in terms of performance and remain a little less expensive. Panasonic makes a very good product but doesn't seem committed to service. Sharp is very weak on service.
Thank You Randy. Once again the knowledge base available on this FORUM proves to be incredible. The information that you have provided in your last two posts, in response to my inquiry, contain more information than I have been able to obtain from a couple of days surfing through the WEB. With the rate of change in technology some of us old guys are having trouble hanging onto the train. Although I worked in the industry for 35+ years (IC manufacturing) I've been out of it over 8 years and the advances are mind boggling. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with us and putting it in a form that even us old dummies can understand. It's appreciated.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold

post #17 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 3:55 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Thank You Randy. Once again the knowledge base available on this FORUM proves to be incredible. The information that you have provided in your last two posts, in response to my inquiry, contain more information than I have been able to obtain from a couple of days surfing through the WEB. With the rate of change in technology some of us old guys are having trouble hanging onto the train. Although I worked in the industry for 35+ years (IC manufacturing) I've been out of it over 8 years and the advances are mind boggling. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with us and putting it in a form that even us old dummies can understand. It's appreciated.
It was definitely condensed information. Don't hesitate to ask more specific questions if you have them.

For HDTV camcorders, I chose the Sony HDR-SR1 hard drive camcorder, but it uses a new format (AVCHD) for HD recording. This format is not broadly in use, but this camcorder also does a vey good job of SD recording until HDTV recording shakes out. It will playback directly to an HDTV, can be edited on a computer, but there is still no viable means of recording high definition for later playback on a TV. Blu-ray disc will be the solution, but it is far from mature or competitive in price. My suggestion would be to look at the Canon Mini-DV HD camcorder, save the tapes until there is a viable means of dubbing then to HD-DVD or Blu-ray. Since Blue-ray is capable of full 1080p resolution, I feel like it will be a better format than HD-DVD. Like the Beta/ VHS wars in the 80s the better format will not necessarily be the one the market embraces.

The HD disc format will not likely shake out for several years.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

Last edited by randy; Jan 6th, 2007 at 4:29 pm.
post #18 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 4:18 pm

We have a Phillips 42 plasma and a Vizio 37 LCD connected to DirecTV HD, both are excellent, however, We do slightly prefer the plasma over the lcd.
Both purchased at costco where you don't have to buy any extended warranties, just take it bake if you're not happy, no questions no time limit.
Yes I have taken one back that we were not satisfied with and was in and out with the Phillips in about 15 minutes.

I switched to HD with Directv last Jan and did experience some problems with receivers but after three or four replacements all is well. I have not seen HD on cable.

This is a personal opinion and I'm certainly no expert, take it for what it's worth. Whatever you choose you will be amazed at the difference, enjoy.
post #19 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 5:25 pm

Lynn,

You pays yer money and takes yer chances!!!

Except of course the guy from New Orleans I saw with a t-shirt that said:

I survived Hurricane Katrina and all I got was a 50" Plasma TV!

As far as whether price makes it better/brand makes it better? I doubt that anyone can definitively tell you which is best.

My son has a LG...no problems, and he is perfectly happy with it. And his eyes are a LOT younger than mine.

Anyhoo, go to a showroom, walk around and look at them all and decide for yourself. I really don't give a hoot about the high-def or theatre sound or anything else. Maybe I would if there was something of value to watch on TV!!! LOL...

But, then, why spend too much time in front of a television screen, or a computer screen for that matter?

'Scuse me, gotta go make a top-down warm-weather run...see ya and good luck!!!
post #20 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 6:22 pm

The best thing to do is go to a show room like best buy or circuit city where it is bright and look at the different sets. I prefer the LCD sets and have a 1080p 45-inch Sharp LCD. LG and Sony also has some good sets. One thing that I have noticed is that on the majority of LCD's 37-inch and smaller, you will only find a 760p set (usually at or below $1,000). If you have a good signal source, I would look at LCD's that are 1920x1080 (1080p) at a minimum. After all, these LCD's should last a lomg time. I did not purchase the extended warranty as my LCD dropped over $1,000 since I purchased it. One thing for certain, prices will continue to drop.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #21 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 7:39 pm

Smile 1080DPI not worth it yet

We just got a 46" Samsung LCD HD Tv and saved some money not getting the top of the line 1080. Got the the next step down because very few if any shows are broadcast in 1080 DPI right now unless I am missing them! By the way Sony has one of the highest or most frequent repair records according to consumer reports magazine. Randy should be the expert here! How bout it Randy what is the advice of the professional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog

Good luck.

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
post #22 of 30 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 9:05 pm

Don't over look the CRT technology HD TV.
You can get a tube based 30" 16x9 format 1080i for around $500-$600
I didn't care for the LCDs, the darks didn't get dark enough for me.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #23 of 30 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 2:28 am

Garage
Exclamation Mind the source...

Whatever you buy - please consider your source of the signal. I've seen too many people get a nice new HDTV only to connect their receiver via COMPOSITE or S-VIDEO connection - there goes a waste your nice new display! You'll want to use component at the least...

Also ask questions about the HDMI connection and what THAT interface supports - 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p? Not all manufacturers support all resolutions across the HDMI connector. Next generation (HD-DVD and BLU-RAY) DVD players will only let you watch their 1080p content over HDMI, so you better make sure your display handles it to "future proof" yourself.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #24 of 30 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 3:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Related Question

So... if you go the projection route, what do you display it on? A painted wall? A pull-down screen? (like we had in the old days with home movies and slide projectors...)

Our living room does not have an available wall where I could hang one of the newer thin/flat TVs, regardless of the technology (plasma, LCD, etc.). I was thinking of installing an electric drop-down screen. Press a button, the TV "screen" appears; press a button, it disappears.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #25 of 30 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 3:59 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Well Lynn, Sam's and Costco sell some off brands with a damn good picture, dirt cheap. At the price, you can't go wrong--even if the thing only lasts for a few years.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #26 of 30 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 9:58 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
So... if you go the projection route, what do you display it on? A painted wall? A pull-down screen? (like we had in the old days with home movies and slide projectors...)

Our living room does not have an available wall where I could hang one of the newer thin/flat TVs, regardless of the technology (plasma, LCD, etc.). I was thinking of installing an electric drop-down screen. Press a button, the TV "screen" appears; press a button, it disappears.
Screens are the best. The reflectivity (gain) of the screen affects the picture quality. There are some new paints that allow you to turn a wall into a good screen and there are some screens that are fairly transparent acoustically to allow placement of speakers behind them.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #27 of 30 Old Jan 7th, 2007, 10:37 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrehder
We just got a 46" Samsung LCD HD Tv and saved some money not getting the top of the line 1080. Got the the next step down because very few if any shows are broadcast in 1080 DPI right now unless I am missing them! By the way Sony has one of the highest or most frequent repair records according to consumer reports magazine. Randy should be the expert here! How bout it Randy what is the advice of the professional?
The only data I can contribute is what I have seen. The first thing to be understood is that the manufacturers do not share repair data and service companies are not polled on repair data. When Consumer Reports publishes this data it is based on data that is generated from a very small sample and much of the data is what is submitted by the readers. I do not think it is a scientifically or statistically accurate sample. In our market Sony still commands the majority of sales. In our business Sony, Samsung and Philips generate the lions share of our warranty work, but they are also responsible for an equally large portion of the sales. I know Sony has recently had some problems with failures of ballasts and even light engines during the warranty period, but these failures still represent a very small percentage of units sold. While these failures are unfortunate, the more interesting statistic is how statistically low the after warranty percentage of Sony repairs is at our company. I know the largest three retailers in our market do not see Sony as being a headache in terms of warranty failures. I would certainly be more comfortable with a set that experiences initial failures, but requires less service down the road. Three years ago LG had a huge spike in warranty repairs and produced a couple of products that were absolute nightmares. None of this was reported in Consumer Reports. Now LG is building a pretty reliable product. If Consumer Reports has reported the spike in LG failures, it would have had little bearing on the reliability of subsequent models.

The fact is that all of the industry produces models that are far more reliable than anything they produced ten years ago. The thing that impresses me most is the companies that really take care of their customers in the event that there is a failure. While many companies are committed to customer satisfaction a few really go the extra mile as far as I am concerned. Sony, Philips, Hitachi, Pioneer, JVC and Mitsubishi are at the top. This is not to say that the others are bad, just that those few really step up when they need to.

Buy what you like and are comfortable with, but do not weigh Consumer Reports too heavily in your decision. In the nearly 40 years I have been involved in the service industry, I have seen little correlation between what Consumer Reports writes and what I actually see in the market place.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #28 of 30 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 7:15 pm

What TV?

I don't see a TV
http://shoutout.samsungusa.com/NFL/

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #29 of 30 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 6:10 pm

Price Drops

Earlier today I met with the president of the company that sells the screens that are used on the Blackberry device. The screens are made by Samsung.

He confirmed my understanding that the price of panels are falling at the rate of 25% per year, and this coming Christmas, one can expect these panel screens - plasma, LCD or DLP - to be significantly lower than this Christmas.

Some manufacturers, such as Pioneer which makes only high end plasma sets, are considering leaving the business with the profits rapidly being diminished.

You probably will not want to wait long to buy a set. My advice is to let your eyes help you decide, but as one of the other posters noted, once you get the unit home without the dozens of competing sets at the retail outlet, you will not really notice much of a difference.

Perhaps a good, used old style picture tube set would hold you for a bit while quality improves and prices continue to drop.

I would hold out for 1080p since this will give you the biggest bang for the buck, but it really comes down to your own eyes.

Paul M. Feldman

2008 - R1200RT "Cino"
2005 - KLT - "Tipsy" (now "Toasty") RIP
2004 - Suzuki Burgman 650
1978 - GL 1000
1985 - GL 1200 20th Anniversary Edition
1976 - Honda 750A
1973 - Honda CB 360 - "Bone Shaker"
1966 - Suzuki S80 - "Old Smokey"
post #30 of 30 Old Jan 11th, 2007, 7:34 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Don't over look the CRT technology HD TV.
You can get a tube based 30" 16x9 format 1080i for around $500-$600
I didn't care for the LCDs, the darks didn't get dark enough for me.
I agree, but would toss out a caution.....those suckers weigh a ton!!

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in