Amateur Photographers - Your favorite digital camera, and why? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 1:34 pm Thread Starter

Question Amateur Photographers - Your favorite digital camera, and why?

This Spring, I'll be in the market for a new (used?) digital camera. I don't need the latest & greatest thing out there, but my current camera is getting long in the tooth and it's going to be time to upgrade for the peak of the '07 riding season.

What I would like in my next camera:
  • Greater OPTICAL zoom. 2X just ain't cutting it.
  • A bigger LCD screen. My current 1.8" is OK, but bigger would be better obviously.
  • Improved battery life.
  • Better video capabilities.
  • As small (thin) as possible.
  • Any comments regarding WiFi (or other wireless?) connectivity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 1:49 pm
Gold Supporter

Joe,

Are you wanting a video camera or still SLR? I can help you with the still, but am still shopping myself for a video that I like. I am looking to go with the Sony 80 gig hard drive, but it is none of your requirments.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Are you wanting a video camera or still SLR?
I'm such a moron at this stuff, I almost don't know how to answer you. My first priority is still photos. But if I can buy a camera that does video also, great. Something like the Kodak Z650 maybe. Although that unit is awfully big. But maybe that's the nature of the beast once you get into the higher zoom level cameras.

post #4 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
This Spring, I'll be in the market for a new (used?) digital camera. I don't need the latest & greatest thing out there, but my current camera is getting long in the tooth and it's going to be time to upgrade for the peak of the '07 riding season.

What I would like in my next camera:
  • Greater OPTICAL zoom. 2X just ain't cutting it.
  • A bigger LCD screen. My current 1.8" is OK, but bigger would be better obviously.
  • Improved battery life.
Joe - among the other photogeni.... er, I mean, photogs that inhabit the list now and then, I'd ping Pete Jessen. That guy knows more about digital cameras and their capabilities/features/goodz and badz/and where third party info is available, than most anyone I know. Steered me right when I needed info on a camera to take to Alaska, with the various lighting/distance settings needed in that environment. Also, Ron Kellenbenz knows digital stuff and helped Cheryl and I when she went to Europe last year - in regards to a tourists special needs in cameras.

Just a coupla sources to add to your knowledge base. Good luck.
post #5 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:07 pm

Nikon S7C and S10

Joe-

I bought (3) S7C Nikons on eBay for family members as Xmas presents. It has all of what you want....slim, big zoom, biggest screen, and WIFI....that's the coolest thing since sliced bread. Plus it takes great video and with a 2Gb SD you can take more than 20 minutes of video with sound!

I bought myself the S10 as a replacement for my old Coolpix 990 that was breaking down after years of excellent performance. I like the S10 because, while a bit bigger, it has the rotating lens so you can hold the camera over your head and still see what you're looking at on the screen.

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #6 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Joe,

I have been eyeing the Casio EXLIM series that Dave Dragon uses. It seems to meet all those requirements.

I have been using my son's camera and it is great but not for bike use. The controls are on a ring around the shutter button and I thought I was taking a great video coming down the Cherohala Skyway (one handed) but the gloved finger moved it on to "still" so all I got was one picture.

Look for one that has an isolated set of controls away from the shutter button.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:24 pm

Joe

Go to www.onecall.com and check out the Leica D-LUX 3 black

There are some good ones out there, but this is one sweet camera

It's only been out since Oct

Don
post #8 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:36 pm

Cameras

Joe

i have a Fuji Finepix S5000 and while it is a great camera and would do everything you want I find it to big and bulky with too many buttons. If I was looking for a new camera it would be something like the Canon IXUS. The best camera in the world is no good if it is left at home azs it is too big or complicated and you miss the shot.

My 2p worth

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #9 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:37 pm

Kodak V610

I love my Kodak V610 for convenance. It fits in your shirt pocket has 6.0 Meg and 10X Optical zoom (wow). Anti-shake and a large screen. It is bluetooth compatible for transferring pictures. It has great video ability and 22 picture modes available. The German lenses are of the highest quality and give excellent picture quality. I have seen them on the net for about $225

JMO

Good Luck Shopping
Rodger

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Ride Safe

Last edited by rodgtc; Jan 5th, 2007 at 7:33 pm.
post #10 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 2:44 pm

All the pictures I've been posting to the site lately have been from a Canon PowerShot A620. Bigger physical size than the ELXIM Dave Dragon is using, but it has features that I wanted in a Point-n-Shoot as far as using customized settings like my Canon SLR.

You've got a monumental task in front of you Boi.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 3:02 pm

Garage
I enjoy using the Nikon Coolpix L4 camera for about three years. Foolproof but it only has a 3x zoom.

I've had a number on Sony's over the years that have been very good. But I hate using their large memory stick.

My newest camera is a Sony Easycam. It takes the mini R/RW DVDs , has a 120x zoom, oodles of storage, can take DVD quality video and digi pics. The only down side is that it doesn't have a flash. It runs off of rechargable lithum batteries. One DVD should be more than enough for you cross country trip. It's small enough to fit easily in your tank bag or pocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0212.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	933.5 KB
ID:	9151  

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

Last edited by RVB1019; Jan 5th, 2007 at 3:13 pm.
post #12 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 4:00 pm
BMW Guru

I have had 3 PENTAX OPTIO's. The current one is 5mp. It has a large screen and is very easy to use. Takes great pix. The Pentax software makes downloading and editing very easy. They make a water resistant one that is very cool. One of my buddies has it and takes it on our dual sport rides...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #13 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 6:13 pm

I have a Fujifilm Finepix, nothing fancy but it takes good pictures,
I thought I wanted the latest, greatest, smallest etc.
Looked at a hundred of them online,
narrowed it down to one the size of a deck of cards,
then went to Circuit City or Best Buy to "handle it"
With my fat fingers I couldn't work the buttons,
had to rethink all of my research and buy a "bigger" one.
Since I use it on the bike and on the boat I figured:
The chances of it going overboard or being dropped (of the bike) at speed
is directly relative to the price of the camera
Buy cheap and it will last forever, expensive and I'll break it or lose it sooner rather than later.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #14 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 6:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp767
Joe-

I bought (3) S7C Nikons on eBay for family members as Xmas presents. It has all of what you want....slim, big zoom, biggest screen, and WIFI....that's the coolest thing since sliced bread. Plus it takes great video and with a 2Gb SD you can take more than 20 minutes of video with sound!

I bought myself the S10 as a replacement for my old Coolpix 990 that was breaking down after years of excellent performance. I like the S10 because, while a bit bigger, it has the rotating lens so you can hold the camera over your head and still see what you're looking at on the screen.
I love my nikon equipment. I have been using nikon for about 20 years now., I hear that the Nikon S7c is a nice piece. I use only SLRs so I will admit to limited knowledge of the P and S cameras. Here is a link: http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25552

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #15 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 7:13 pm

Joe if you have not been hear yet...

http://www.dpreview.com/

try it, lots of good info.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #16 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 7:27 pm

Joe,

Look at the Canon PowerShot S560. It's half the size of a pack of smoke and take great pix and has video capability. You can out in your shirt pocket.

Regards

OKU

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #17 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Greater OPTICAL zoom. 2X just ain't cutting it.
  • Improved battery life.
Well there are trade offs that have to be made when you try to get wider zoom capabilities, a slim profile, reasonable picture quality and still keep the sticker shock at a controllable level. Compact digitals will never achieve the picture quality of larger format cameras because the size of the CCD has to be smaller so the camera can be smaller. One area where this image quality issue will usually show up is zoomed out to these higher zoom factors. The pictures just won't be very sharp.

If you get much above 4X optical zoom the lens has to move so far that they will probably have to extend outside the body of the camera. By the time you get to 10X or higher the lens will probably extend well outside the body even when at 1X. The weight and the bulk of the camera will also be relatively proportional to the zoom ratio. Above 10X zoom you will almost need image stabilization, which is certainly available, at considerable higher cost.

I lug around a Nikon D70 SLR when I want good quality pictures. I have two other smaller digital cameras, an Olympus C700 and a 1X 7MP cheapie that I got as an attaboy award at work. I wanted something a little more flexible than the 1X but smaller than the C700. Essentially something I could hang from a wrist or neck strap and take pictures on the road and do double duty as a light weight general purpose camera. I finally settled on one after adding one more feature to my wish list. I wanted it to be waterproof.

I finally settled on a Pentax Optio W20. It is only 3X optical zoom but is 7MP and has many of the other features I wanted. Those considerations kind of outweighed my desire for a little larger optical zoom. I don't have to juggle it into my tank bag when the weather turns to crap and I can even take pictures underwater with it, but hopefully not when I am riding .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Last edited by jwd98056; Jan 5th, 2007 at 11:19 pm.
post #18 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:32 pm

It's all about trade-offs as usual

My favorite riding camera is a waterproof Pentax 5 megapixels - it's small with limited features, but I keep it in my kevlar pant pocket for easy access. However, it won't produce great photography (out of production). I suggest you check out some reviews, such as these

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digi...0_reviews.html (click through the editor's choices on the left)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona710is/

Yes, I'm hinting at a particular model - the Canon PowerShot A710 IS.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #19 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
[/list]I finally settled on a Pentax Optio W20. It is only 3X optical zoom but is 7MP and has many of the other features I wanted. Those considerations kind of outweighed my desire for a little larger optical zoom. I don't have to juggle it into my tank bag when the weather turns to crap and I can even take pictures underwater with it, but hopefully not when I am riding .
BTW, the Pentax W20 is the successor to the one I mentioned above. It's a great trade-off for a motorcycling camera!

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #20 of 32 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 3:35 pm

HIT ME
For stuff like this I spend time on C-net
Rock
post #21 of 32 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 4:24 pm

There must be a camera manufacturer thats not mentioned in this thread (mebbe - as many opinion's as a^^*&$ús !!)

My favourite font of knowledge is . . .

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #22 of 32 Old Jan 6th, 2007, 4:35 pm

I have to agree with Wooly. Steves digicam review is excellent. Helped me make the decision to buy a Canon S2IS. Great camera. 5.1 megapixel, 12x zoom, will also take movies with sound.

06 RT Granite Gray
post #23 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:25 am

I always have my camera with me and not my big bucks Digi slr but my Canon S500. If you are going to use this for the m/c trips then make sure that it is easy to use, if you take pic's like I do while your moving then the very slim ones are hard to use (for me) with gloves on. I have a cuple of extra batteries a charger thats works on both a/c and d/c so I can charge on the bike or in the motel room. I have a couple of 2 gig cards. The Canon S500 has great color, very sharp and good battery life but because of how I have it set up I never run out of batteries or cards. I tape the controls so they won't move as i am constantly taking the camera out of my chest pocket to shoot on the move and I never look at the display as I shoot and I have a long metal lanyard around my neck so if I let go of the camera I don't loose it. The metal is heavy so it will keep the lanyard out of the pic. I hold the camera the same way every time so when I am looking at the pic I can shoot it, kind of like a gunfighter. There are lots of good cameras but the prep is the important thing and lots of practice before the trip will ensure great pic's.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #24 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 5:36 am

Where did you find the metal lanyard? Inquiring minds want to know.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #25 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 8:27 am

I have a high dollar Canon digital SLR that takes splendid photos but got tired of lugging it around. I wanted something I could put in the oddments box or in my pocket so I could just whip it out at a moment's notice. I ended up with a Casio Exilim camera. They are extremely thin/lightweight, have a very large screen, are easy to operate and last but not least, take great photos. The bodies are also made out of metal and seem extremely durable - DAMHIK.

The benefit of always having it at the handy has facilitated some great shots.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom
post #26 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 9:57 pm

Vivitar 8300S

Joe,

I got Lindy a Vivitar 8300S at CompUSA for Christmas.

8.1 megapixel. takes video w/audio... Uses SD card.

Seems to be a very good camera... Small, Metal body, Lightweight and a large screen...

Only downside is that it takes a proprietary battery. Haven't picked up a spare yet but I'm sure it won't be too cheap. 3X zoom but it works fine..
Took the ring pic with it...

The camera was 199.00 with a 30 dollar rebate....So it was a good deal for the megapixels...

Most current digital cameras will take pics beyond the ability of the average user...So it's all about price and features..

HTH

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #27 of 32 Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Where did you find the metal lanyard? Inquiring minds want to know.
It is made by Canon. The weight keeps it from floating into the picture, I learned this the hard way.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #28 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 5:56 am

How far down your neck does the camera hang with the neck strap?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #29 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:03 am

Hey Joe,

Now that you are totally cornfuzed....what did you decide on?

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #30 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKUIII
Hey Joe,

Now that you are totally cornfuzed....what did you decide on?
Although you may be correct about a certain amount of confusion being introduced, I'll take information overload over ignorance any day. I stopped at Target the other day and got my greasy hands on several of the models discussed. I think that's a key element in this search.

Right now I'm leaning toward DaveDragon's CASIO Exilim model. The size and HUGE preview screen is extremely appealing. But I still have a boatload of looking to do.
post #31 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
How far down your neck does the camera hang with the neck strap?
The lenght of the loop is 18" and then it's attached to the small lanyard of the camera. I keep the camera in a chest pocket and I can shoot over the top of my head or shoulder and when I do the side shots off the bike I lean over a bit and the camera usually ends up about knee height. If I need to let go of the camera or rest it the lenght of the two lanyards let the camera rest on my lap.

14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #32 of 32 Old Jan 9th, 2007, 2:38 pm

Well, if ya just gotta have a P&S, you might like this:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/20IN...e_ultracompact

Might make a nice collector's piece.

Then again...

here is a REAL spy camera:

http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=16&L=1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in