Advice on New Zealand Vacation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Advice on New Zealand Vacation

I've got a business trip to Japan in early March and planning on extending my trip to visit New Zealand on vacation and will have my wife join me there. I'm planning on a week there. I'm guessing we'll stay in Auckland and visit around. Anyone have any advice on where to stay (hotel recommendations), what to see, where to go, etc? I don't know much about New Zealand except always wanted to visit that part of the world. I don't want to do a full motorcycle tour, but would like to rent one for any sightseeing we do around the country - a couple of days. Any ideas on who to use and/or if it requires any special licensing outside of the US motorcycle endorsement? I guess it's time to go get some guide books out of the library and start planning this in earnest.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 8:10 pm

I have been twice and stayed several weeks each time...always had a car no bike.

If I had just a week I definitely wouldn't hang out around Auckland but would go immediately to Queenstown on the South island and do the boat trip out in Milford sound. This is overall the most spectacular part of New Zealand.

If you can't get to the South Island then go to Rotorua and that area to see the glow worms in the caves and the boiling springs etc. Up on the northeast coast is very picturesque too and the "hole in the rock" is a well known site that is worth visiting by boat.

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 9:10 pm

I read the Australia, New Zealand and Asia forum on this site. Why don't you post and ask the guys that live there?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:07 pm

Joel

I lived in Auckland for 15 years before coming to the US. I still have a house there and visit "home" regularly each year. I have lots of ideas for you and can give you some good routes/trips both car and bike. If you like, send me a PM and lets chat on the phone as it may be more effective.

Americans love NZ, its like they imagine the US was like in the 50's :-)

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:31 am

Thumbs up

Way to much to see in one week, fantastic country and awesome motorcycling venue.
Did three weeks in 03 and I agree the Queenstown area is great but for quick non-cycling stop with the wife I would go to Christchurch. Beautiful architecture, botanical gardens and nice countryside.
Then go back soon and do the whole thing, its #1 on my list of places to do again.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #6 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:40 am

It's been some time since I visited New Zealand but if I had to make a choice, I would visit the South Island. The terrain is so varied you can see a great deal in a short time.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #7 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2007, 3:35 pm

And while in Christchurch....don't miss the WIZARD at noon in the town square church. I stood and listened to his rant in 1986 and sure enough he's still alive and doing it as of my last visit in December 2003.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
Way to much to see in one week, fantastic country and awesome motorcycling venue.
Did three weeks in 03 and I agree the Queenstown area is great but for quick non-cycling stop with the wife I would go to Christchurch. Beautiful architecture, botanical gardens and nice countryside.
Then go back soon and do the whole thing, its #1 on my list of places to do again.

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in