4Likes
  • 2 Post By oly223cal
  • 2 Post By Beemer tiger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 26th, 2018, 4:53 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Thank you for our Freedoms

I want to thank everyone who has served, is serving and gave their life for our Country.
Enjoy Our Freedom and Thank a VET.
Have a Safe and Great Holiday Weekend.
PMitchell and nhonnguyen61 like this.

2002 KT1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 26th, 2018, 9:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: Thank you for our Freedoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by oly223cal View Post
I want to thank everyone who has served, is serving and gave their life for our Country.
Enjoy Our Freedom and Thank a VET.
Have a Safe and Great Holiday Weekend.
Well...as a Vet, I accept your thanks. For me, it is a somber celebration as I'm always a bit conflicted with the term holiday coupled with the seriousness of the occasion. I served in Nam 1967-68. Kinda slipped back home, unannounced, and for the most part, never looked back for years. I broke family tradition and found a way to enroll in college, never joined any pity parties, married up, and not until I retired did I ever connect my development of diabetes with agent orange until I finally signed up for VA medical care.

The VA psychologist tried to get me to claim PTSD, but I told him if I had that, it was because of my Dad and two older brothers, not the war. I did tell him that it was my older brothers (RIP) who saved my life during the war. "HOW SO?" He asked...I answered..."Because the enemy couldn't find anywhere to apply new scars!"
PMitchell and nhonnguyen61 like this.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old May 26th, 2018, 10:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Thank you for our Freedoms

Tiger,
Thank you for your active service. I spent eight years in the active reserves but was never deployed during the Viet Nam War.
However, I have a cousin a couple of years older that served as an Army Ranger and was deployed in Viet Nam and on raids into Cambodia.

Upon returning after recovering from wounds, he suffered from SEVERE PTSD. After over 10 years of bouncing around in the "VA System" with drugs and counseling, he finally found a program in NY state VA facility which included physical conditioning, group counseling and NO Meds. He is much better now but sends daily videos, photos of war related topics to a family & friends list since the Army was his his only activity after High School. BTW, he is on full disability but functions well now in Florida and has many vet friends.

Additionally, my son-in law is active army (Legal Aid/Pentagon) who had two tours in Afghanistan and witnessed the most horrific crimes. He has had continuous counseling and even neuro shock treatment (similar to a tens unit) to the base of his spinal cord. Fortunately he is recovering but one can not "un-see" horror and carnage committed by animals.

Again thank you for your service.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in