Tried the "box" on the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

Tried the "box" on the LT

Had a couple of free hours this afternoon, so rode over to the range and tried out the box on the LT. This was my first attempt since taking MSF a couple of years ago and wasn't overly confident, but sucked it up and tried it out. Found out I didn't have to use the clutch, just keep it a low idle and just a little gas to pull it out of the turn. I was surprised because I remember riding the clutch pretty hard on the little 250 in MSF, but the LT just pulled along at idle speed with no problems. The large box was easily done, but even after an hour, I was only 50/50 on the intermediate box - amazing the difference that 2 feet make. Pretty much every time I screwed it up was because I didn't get my head around for one reason or another. Amazing how well it works to look where you want to go, not where you don't. I am pretty sure I could make the small box if I had the confidence to go lock to lock with a good lean, but I could only get halfway through before bailing on the small box, never did get through the small box successfully. Oh well, something to aim for. Also did some quick stops and learned that I've somehow developed the habit of not applying the rear brake very hard, so more practice on using both front and back. Did get on them too hard on one run and activated the front ABS. Anyway, just like golf, would rather play than practice, but sometimes practice is good. Nice day for riding and goofing off.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 5:52 pm

You have to lay it over pretty hard, then goose it back up straight, then get right on the brakes..
Have to treat her more like a dirt bike to accomplish this...OR if your balance is really good you can go lock to lock at dead slow but that's a work of art in itself.

It took me quite a while and a fall in the small box before I got to where I could do it..I'm still blaming the 40+ mph winds and the gust for the fall.. I'm sure without some practice I couldn't do it the first time or right away....

That's good practice.....But as my instructor advised me, "It's better to go a little outside the box and loose a few points than to fall over in the box and fail the course"....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in