MAINTENANCE IS GETTING EXPENSIVE! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lynn_Keen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 10th, 2018, 7:45 am Thread Starter

MAINTENANCE IS GETTING EXPENSIVE!

At 52,000 mi my RT is due for a major service. Fluids, alternator belt, valve check etc. While I have always done my own service I normally try to purchase a least some of the required material from my local Dealer, which may in some small way help to keep the lights on. So, yesterday I ran down to the parts counter and picked up an oil filter, qt of gear oil and an alternator belt. I was duly impressed when I was handed an invoice for $83.44, and that's after a10% club discount!

Retail price for:
1 oil filter - $19.45
set of crush washers and 1 "O" ring = $7.00
1 qt gear lube = $21.00

I don't mind paying a little extra to help keep them in business but HOLY CRAP BAT MAN, this seems a trifle expensive!

OH, almost forgot, he threw in a FREE plastic funnel and a red shop towel! Like that's supposed to make it all better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Patric and PMitchell like this.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 10th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Re: MAINTENANCE IS GETTING EXPENSIVE!

Just wondering,
you can buy the oil and filter for 50% less at any parts store,
I also do all my own service and avoid dealer as much as possible.
I realize some stuff you just need OEM, just wondering, not judging.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #3 of 5 Old May 10th, 2018, 11:39 pm

He forgot to toss in a kiss. Beemerboneyard will sell you a complete kit with filter, oil etc. for a service. You can find the Malhe filter for your bike out "there" for 10$, buy a couple, they make them for BMW. BMW oil is good but 20 a quart almost. Castrol Power 1 in your weight on Amazon is reasonable, so is any brand name MA2 motorcycle oil. Your bike does not need MA2 but it does need a motorcycle oil rating. You need to look around. Keep the next service on your shelf. Be a consumer. The Dealers and BMW are pricing themselves out into the ozone and the dealers need to revolt along with the consumer. I do believe in supporting them but not get taken advantage of. Part of the problem is the wan BMW Germany makes the dealers present themselves. The overhead is nasty.
So, now your into an oil change. lube your shift linkage ball joints, your clutch and brake lever joints, go crazy and pull your center stand and grease the bushings. Maybe drop the final drive down and grease with some moly your splines. Check your side swing arm play by trying to move the rear end and see if it moves at the main rear fork bearings behind the transmission, or at the final drive pivot bearings, or worse at the final drive housing. Lots to look at servicing a bike.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 5 Old May 11th, 2018, 7:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
He forgot to toss in a kiss. Beemerboneyard will sell you a complete kit with filter, oil etc. for a service. You can find the Malhe filter for your bike out "there" for 10$, buy a couple, they make them for BMW. BMW oil is good but 20 a quart almost. Castrol Power 1 in your weight on Amazon is reasonable, so is any brand name MA2 motorcycle oil. Your bike does not need MA2 but it does need a motorcycle oil rating. You need to look around. Keep the next service on your shelf. Be a consumer. The Dealers and BMW are pricing themselves out into the ozone and the dealers need to revolt along with the consumer. I do believe in supporting them but not get taken advantage of. Part of the problem is the wan BMW Germany makes the dealers present themselves. The overhead is nasty.
So, now your into an oil change. lube your shift linkage ball joints, your clutch and brake lever joints, go crazy and pull your center stand and grease the bushings. Maybe drop the final drive down and grease with some moly your splines. Check your side swing arm play by trying to move the rear end and see if it moves at the main rear fork bearings behind the transmission, or at the final drive pivot bearings, or worse at the final drive housing. Lots to look at servicing a bike.
All good advise Beech. I've been riding and doing my own maintenance for 50+ years and so am pretty well aware of most of the routine items that require periodic maintenance. Having achieved the ripe old age of 78 I don't accumulate bike miles like I did several years ago. I still manage 6 to 8k annually so typically do a major service once a year. I am also well aware of many of the alternate sources for filters, oil, etc. and use them routinely. In the past, I have always tried to throw my local dealer a few bucks figuring that if everyone did so if I ever really need him for some serious issues that I couldn't handle personally he'd still be there with the lights on. However, given that his current prices are more than 2X what is available on the open market I'll probably be a less frequent customer. I hate being taken advantage of!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #5 of 5 Old May 11th, 2018, 10:12 am

We're both in the same boat Lynn, as are many others.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in