Best Buy Screwed Me <<rant>> - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:26 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Best Buy Screwed Me <<rant>>

My son purchased a Sony PlayStation 2 (PS2) on April 8, 2005, from the Best Buy. At check out time he was persuaded to buy a ‘Two Year Product Replacement Plan’ by the sales staff who assured him this ‘Plan’ covered the replacement of his PS2 if it broke within the two year warranty period.

These employees also stated that the ’Plan’ provided that the PS2 could be returned for a full purchase price ($170) credit against the purchase of the next generation PlayStation 3 (PS3), if it was released within the two year coverage period. The only reason we purchased the ‘Two Year Product Replacement Plan’ for $20 was the guarantee of a dollar-for-dollar trade-in on a PS3.

Today, December 22, 2006, we tried to return the PS2 for credit in conjunction with the purchase a PS3. At checkout we were told that the ‘Plan’ did not apply to the PS3. The store manager and staff acknowledged that employees had made these exaggerated, misleading, and fictional claims, but cited a ‘corporate’ policy not to honor the coverage.

My wife contacted Best Buy Corporate Customer Service (1-888-237-8289) to complain about this situation. Best Buy again acknowledged that misleading claims had been made by Best Buy employees, but that Best Buy would not honor the promises. The fact that the Corporate Office is aware of this suggests to me that there were a great number of ‘Two Year Product Replacement Plans’ sold with false and misleading claims.

It's not the $20, or $170, which I can piss away without breathing hard, that frost my shorts, but the general principle that a corporate entity can say "F*** You" with impunity.

You can draw your own conclusions about 'Best' Buy, but I did buy a PS3, at full price -- from Target.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:36 pm

You did what you could.

Not your fault; but I would go back and tell the manager that you aren't making threats, only promises, but that you will never shop there again and that you will be encouraging 600 of your closest friends to do the same!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #3 of 25 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 9:58 pm

I bought a $180 digital camera at Best Buy. I bought cheap as I carry it on the bike and if it takes a dump, so be it. My third cheapy camera and I was asked if, for $40, I'd like to buy their extended warranty. Which means it would be fixed or replaced. I thought, "Why not?" Well, the thang quit working, so I sent it in. They sent it back, without repair or replacement. Corporate purdy much said, "Oh, well, nothing we can do about it".

I've got your back on this one, Best Buy can plant a slobbery on the putushka.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 25 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:11 pm
BMW Guru

Well that just SUCKS. I recently went to my local Apple store because my Ipod stopped working again. I have had it replaced 3 TIMES already. They told me ooh so sorry you're two months out of warranty.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER APPLE PRODUCT. THOSE IPODS ARE HUGE PIECES OF SHIT AND I WILL TELL ANY ONE THAT WILL LISTEN.

I was going to try Best Buy for an Iriver but it seems like that not be a good idea...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #5 of 25 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:19 pm

Write best buy management, with strong but polite accusations of a scam and cc the attorney general of your state. That got some attention for me on a rebate they didn't want to honor. You might be able to find interesting names to write to on the internet.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #6 of 25 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:19 pm

I have had exactly the same extended warranty experience with Best Buy on a digital camera. Never again.

Wayne Malaise
06 1200RT
post #7 of 25 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:28 pm

Well, as a geek, it's pretty much understood in the 'guild' that extended warranties are a losers bet anyway.

All they do is pad the sellers profit margin.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #8 of 25 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Well, as a geek, it's pretty much understood in the 'guild' that extended warranties are a losers bet anyway.

All they do is pad the sellers profit margin.
Ditto
I like to tell the person offering me the warranty that if it breaks in said period the item will be comming back thru the store window. Always gets a puzzled look, "like really".
I never invest in "Extended Warranties" so I do not get disappointed and aggravated when they find some loop hole to deny coverage.
Except when I buy BMW Motorcycles. A little aggravation can be a good thing.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #9 of 25 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:22 pm

Alright, how many of you bought extended warranty on your BMW motorcycle?
post #10 of 25 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:26 pm

My 'Best Buy' Experiences

Well...I wish I could join in the fun and tell of all of my bitter tales about Best Buy, but unfortunately I cannot. I have had nothing but great experiences with Best Buy and their warranty service.
post #11 of 25 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:00 am
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
I will NOT own a BMW motorcycle with out an Extended Service Plan with Western Service. My 2000 LT is still covered until May of 07...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #12 of 25 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:12 am

I was told the same thing as you at best buy when I got my kids one. Looks like they suckered many people, Mine still works though, wont go spend $500 on a ps3
post #13 of 25 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 6:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
You did what you could.

Not your fault; but I would go back and tell the manager that you aren't making threats, only promises, but that you will never shop there again and that you will be encouraging 600 of your closest friends to do the same!
Let's see Brett, I think that's closer to 10,909 of his closest friends since he posted it here.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #14 of 25 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 6:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Same result on a Best Buy extended warranty on another electronic item. Never again.

I do a lot of browsing (and sometimes shopping) at Best Buy. More often than not there is someone at the Return counter throwing a fit because a warranty (original or extended) issue is not being resolved. I've never seen a store where there are consistently so many unhappy customers. It seems like it can only be a matter of time before they exhaust their local base of customers, dry up, and go away but the parking lot is always full. P.T. Barnum was right...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #15 of 25 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 6:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Too good to be true!

I too have been hosed by "large Corporations" thinking that If I purchased the extended warranty I would be protected, but I have learned, FINALLY after 50 + years to get good documentation, meaning salesperson's name and signature, along with managers, and highlighting items of question and exaggeration so there are no misunderstandings down the road.

This has helped me numerous times to settle a claim. Just food for thought.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 25 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 7:53 am

Well, I didn't get the extended warranty on the '03 (it was bought in 2/04). If it fails I don't know what I will do! Do I fix or just go out and buy the new Connie? Hummmm!

As Dano says, you are always having to think like a lawyer when ya' buy something!

Hey everybody, Have a Merry Christmas!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #17 of 25 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 7:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
I did, and sure glad of it. Actually, it is not a warranty, but an "extended service contract". Almost the same thing, but only certain things covered. I paid just over $750 for it, and when I totaled the bike the company had paid out over $3,000 in repairs. It would still be in effect if the bike were still here.

I think these are well worth the money, when they go for up to seven years as mine did, and one repair can be more than the contract cost.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #18 of 25 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 8:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhudson
I will NOT own a BMW motorcycle with out an Extended Service Plan with Western Service. My 2000 LT is still covered until May of 07...
Same here! Mine was with Western also, absolutely GREAT service from them.

They even paid for all the parts when I had the problem with all four pistons, and I was doing all the work! I did have to trailer the torn down bike to the dealer so they could send an adjuster out to look at it and get the dealer's opinion also.

The only stipulation was that I had to put 10,000 miles on it before any further piston/cylinder related repairs would be covered. Unfortunately, I totaled the bike right at the 10,000 mile mark. I was really wanting to see how many miles I could put on that engine.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #19 of 25 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 9:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
You did what you could.

No he didn't do what he can, you take this to the next level. Which is Sony, explain to them that best buy is pimping their stuff under false pretence.
Now you may not be able to get anything done, but one of there biggest suppliers can easily pressure them into honoring the warrentty they sold.
You do have legal rights that very depending on where your at, but that would be the last resort (to slow)
Rock
post #20 of 25 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1
My son purchased a Sony PlayStation 2 (PS2) on April 8, 2005, from the Best Buy. At check out time he was persuaded to buy a ‘Two Year Product Replacement Plan’ by the sales staff who assured him this ‘Plan’ covered the replacement of his PS2 if it broke within the two year warranty period.

These employees also stated that the ’Plan’ provided that the PS2 could be returned for a full purchase price ($170) credit against the purchase of the next generation PlayStation 3 (PS3), if it was released within the two year coverage period. The only reason we purchased the ‘Two Year Product Replacement Plan’ for $20 was the guarantee of a dollar-for-dollar trade-in on a PS3.

Today, December 22, 2006, we tried to return the PS2 for credit in conjunction with the purchase a PS3. At checkout we were told that the ‘Plan’ did not apply to the PS3. The store manager and staff acknowledged that employees had made these exaggerated, misleading, and fictional claims, but cited a ‘corporate’ policy not to honor the coverage.

My wife contacted Best Buy Corporate Customer Service (1-888-237-8289) to complain about this situation. Best Buy again acknowledged that misleading claims had been made by Best Buy employees, but that Best Buy would not honor the promises. The fact that the Corporate Office is aware of this suggests to me that there were a great number of ‘Two Year Product Replacement Plans’ sold with false and misleading claims.

It's not the $20, or $170, which I can piss away without breathing hard, that frost my shorts, but the general principle that a corporate entity can say "F*** You" with impunity.

You can draw your own conclusions about 'Best' Buy, but I did buy a PS3, at full price -- from Target.
Consider filing a complaint with the local BBB and send a complaint to the State Atty Generals office. You may be able to do it online....

F
post #21 of 25 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 10:49 am

www.BBB.org

Lots of good info here.

Don
post #22 of 25 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:22 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1
These employees also stated that the ’Plan’ provided that the PS2 could be returned for a full purchase price ($170) credit against the purchase of the next generation PlayStation 3 (PS3), if it was released within the two year coverage period.
John -

If the 'Plan' didn't contain specific language stating this 100% price protection for return of product for upgrade to PS3, then you should have added it and made the Store manager sign it.

Just stepping back and looking at it unbiased - that's a pretty good deal to get free use of a PS2 until the PS3 is released. What is Best Buy supposed to do with your used PS2?

Please don't get me wrong, I feel for you and have learned the hard way myself. But when I hear something that sounds too good or has some potential wiggle-room I either get it in writing or accept the fact that if I continue with the transaction I may not have a leg to stand on if the other party doesn't honor their word later on.

If you have the time and/or energy - is there a consumer-reporter at the local tv station in Phoenix? Here in Los Angeles the local media covered the frenzy when the PS3 was released - perhaps you could get them involved - especially since it's sounds like there are others in your situation. Also, I'd spend some time wandering the aisles at Best Buy, and if I overheard some salesperson trying to sell an extended warranty I'd join in the conversation!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #23 of 25 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 2:28 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

"If it sounds too good to be true, it is." I believe that, and don't have too much of a problem admitting when I've been taken. However, when two Best Buy sales people and a check out clerk affirmed a statement I believed it. You're right I should have stood in line reading the fine print and had the store manager add and sign any verbal promise. Wouldn't we all?

The advantage to Best Buy and or Sony was clear--Sony was way behind in the race with Microsoft for the next generation game console. This was a way of pre-selling vaporware. And let's not forget you need to buy some $60 games you need to feed this beast.

What really frosts my shorts, is this was not just a couple of 'over-enthusiastic' associates in Phoenix (as evidenced by Sheldan2 in North Carolina being sold the same 'Plan') but that Best Buy knows and acknowledges these promises were made, nationwide, but has chosen to renege when faced with faced with losing a bunch of money on the season's hot product.

I have letters in the mail to Best Buy, AZ Attorney General, The Arizona Republic newspaper. Didn't think about BBB or Sony, thanks for the tips.

Motor On ,/'

Last edited by jkersh1; Dec 23rd, 2006 at 5:27 pm. Reason: typingg screw pu
post #24 of 25 Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 4:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

A second comment from me on this topic:

A friend of mine is a successful business owner. On his desk, facing him each and every day, is a placard that says: IT IS NOT SAID UNTIL IT IS WRITTEN DOWN.

I agree with others: get it in writing.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #25 of 25 Old Dec 26th, 2006, 2:58 am

No experience with Best Buy, but worked for a car dealer as a salesman for three months after graduating college many years ago, and can attest to the fact that extended warranties are a major ripoff. Price to the customer was 3-4 times what the dealer paid for it. Only bigger ripoffs were dealer installed "appearance packages" and undercoating. Each of these items cost the dealer about $25, and they charged $600-$800 for them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in