Hey Randy - How's the Weather in Denver?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:16 am Thread Starter

Hey Randy - How's the Weather in Denver??

Just wanted to check in on Randy and others in the Denver area. Sounds like a really nasty storm hit yesterday (shut down the airport and everything), and I hear they're predicting another nearly 2 feet of snow today. How are you folks holding up?

All the best for a "slightly less" white Christmas for you all!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

News from Denver today indicated that people could be waiting in the airport until Sunday for flights to resume. All hotels are booked, no rental cars left, etc.

Yikes.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #3 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Just wanted to check in on Randy and others in the Denver area. Sounds like a really nasty storm hit yesterday (shut down the airport and everything), and I hear they're predicting another nearly 2 feet of snow today. How are you folks holding up?

Same wishes from the Tejas Hill Country. In the past, Randy has posted pix of some of the heavier snowfalls. If he can get out, I'll look forward to some this year too. Hang in there, y'all.

post #4 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 12:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just talked to my son in Boulder. . .
He has shoveled his walk at least 6 times in the last 24 hours and his black Accord is buried. He can't even see the outline. He estimates that there is 36-48" on the ground. Now the stuff is getting fluffy so if the wind picks up it will start drifting! All of the Interstates are closed in the surrounding areas and the National Guard has been called out to help the stranded.

Don'tcha love this "Global Warming"?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 1:51 pm

Pretty much shut down Colorado Springs. However, the neighbor kids are out in force with sleds. Still snowing, but the wind has died down.

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #6 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 6:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

We LIKE snow, and regret that central Ohio doesn't get much and it doesn't stick around (usually) when it does happen. We've joked for years about moving to Maine, Montana, etc., to get more snow.

Great time to have an ATV or a snowmobile. Might as well make the best of it if you can.

--- switching gears ---
This might be an opportunity for Denver citizens to take in stranded travelers for a few days, as happened at the Gander, Newfoundland airport on 9/11. The town came out en masse to take in hundreds (thousands?) of travelers until flights resumed.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 7:52 pm

Don'tcha love this "Global Warming"?

You shouldn't joke about global warming its real and its serious business. Most people do not know that it causes cold periods with lots of snow and ice. Even if the cold spell lasted a hundred years it would still be global warming. Just ask em... And don't get me started about the greenhouse gases coming from all the volcanoes.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 8:12 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor

33 inches (officially) in Aurora, my guess would be a little more at our house. My business was closed yesterday and today. Government offices, USPS, FedEx quit early or did not operate yesterday and did not operate today. Malls were closed except as shelters beginning mid-day yesterday and may reopen late tomorrow morning. DIA was closed yesterday and may not reopen until late tomorrow.

Cars littered most streets and most neighborhoods. Most people were not able to get out of their houses until this afternoon. I had to go out and rescue my daughter yesterday and have been able to navigate just fine thanks to my GMC Sierra - it is pretty hard to stop that beast.

We are always prepared for storms with plenty of food water and other necessities. Fortunately I have been collecting accessories to install on the GS later this winter and I have been able to spend the last two days adding lights, Ohlins, Autocom and all sorts of other goodies to the GS. Because I had so much time I have been able to fabricate some nice mounting brackets, wiring looms and other goodies for the GS. I relocated the factory fog light switch to the right handlebar and added a switch to it for MotoLights. I converted the factory fog lights to HID. I added a set of Hella Micro DE HID lights I had at one time planed on adding to an LT, mounted directly over the fog lights. The Micro DE lights can be slaved to the high beam or operated independently.

I made some serious headway toward adding a Rostra electronic cruise control to the GS, though I still have some mechanical interface issues to overcome.

Sadly, I have to go back to work tomorrow.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #9 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 8:14 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Same wishes from the Tejas Hill Country. In the past, Randy has posted pix of some of the heavier snowfalls. If he can get out, I'll look forward to some this year too. Hang in there, y'all.
I have the picture and will post 'em later.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #10 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 9:00 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Here you go, Dick. This was taken today by the other photographer in the family, Michelle. I am clearing the sidewalk.

I'll post some more later.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #11 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 9:16 pm
Just ridin'

We had a bunch of snow, but thanks to the beast we were able to go anywhere we needed.

Michelle is standing in the middle of the street where there was over 3 feet of snow.

She sat down with her feet still 18 or so inches off of the street.

You can see the path where I removed the snow from the sidewalk.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #12 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 9:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
We had a bunch of snow, but thanks to the beast we were able to go anywhere we needed.

You can see the path where I removed the snow from the sidewalk.
Sheeesh - last time I wuz in snow like that wuz in '51. And for some silly reason, I haven't missed it at all!!! Only cages then on the road were the farm implements - and not all of them.

Thanks for the pix, Randy.

BTW - unless I had major company coming over, I'da let folks find the sidewalk themselves!!!

BTW #2 - and Cheryl has Denver/Colorado Springs on her short list of retirement places!! (One of us is gonna have a long commute to see the other one!!!! )j/k
post #13 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 9:50 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
BTW - unless I had major company coming over, I'da let folks find the sidewalk themselves!!!
The sad part in these parts, no matter how much snow we get, by ordinance we must have the sidewalks cleared within 24 hours after it ends.

Quote:
BTW #2 - and Cheryl has Denver/Colorado Springs on her short list of retirement places!! (One of us is gonna have a long commute to see the other one!!!! )j/k
Despite the occasional snow we have a lot of really nice weather. Having been born and raised in Dallas, I'll take a little snow to replace the 'sultry' Texas summers in a heartbeat. As I said above, we are always prepared for a few days down time if needed and actually enjoy the occasional storm.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #14 of 16 Old Dec 21st, 2006, 10:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
We had a bunch of snow, but thanks to the beast we were able to go anywhere we needed....
WOW! That's a lot of snow! I'm glad to hear you, the family, and the rest of the Colorado folks, are OK. You must have a well heated garage to spend that much quality time with the GS on a farkle-fest! So should we pray for more snow so you can stay home from work and finish the cruise control?

You, Michelle and Ilsa have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! That goes for the rest of you folks, too!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #15 of 16 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 6:31 am

Hey Randy, that snow blower have heated grips? And if the snow is really deep, do you have to use the GPS

Merry Christmas and a safe, happy, healthy and prosperous New Year filled with lotsa love to y'all.

(pssst- tell Michelle that I'll call her real butt early Christmas morning and sing Christmas songs to her)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #16 of 16 Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:53 pm

Heck of a dump!

Some great strategy going on here today...the cleanest lots in town are at the regional malls. The highways are great, but everyone wants to get out, so traffic now is slow just because of volume.

Yesterday, all my neighbors are younger health nuts, so no one on our street has a snow blower. About ten of us were out shoveling for hours, but it was very quiet and pretty with only an occasional conversation breaking out and a young golden bounding through the snow that was deeper than the dog! Nice dig-out day.

Meanwhile the bikes sit quietly in the garage, waiting for their turn, which will not be coming for a while.

Attached is a post card-pretty shot of the neighbor digging out amongst the winter beauty.

Merry Christmas to all, and give your loved ones an extra hug this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT shoveling 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	8875  

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in