Wyoming , Montana help please - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 10:50 am Thread Starter

Wyoming , Montana help please

I am working on putting together a trip for next summer and have a couple of questions.

Leaving Black Hills and heading west across Wyoming towards Jackson (Hole). Are there enough towns / gas stops for the LT two-up and loaded? Did this trip in 99 in a car and from memory there wasn't many towns along the route. Don't remember the roads but did not go through Thermopolis.

Hope to leave Jackson and head west into Idaho through Arco and the "Craters of the moon" on down to Boise.

Return home via Northern route through Montana.

Item 2: Where in Montana is the "Painted Canyon". I know it is along I94 but can't find any info on my maps.

If my wife and I can get three weeks off instead of two, I will have to fill in even more details on Oregon and Washington.

Thanks all

Merry Christmas

Roy & Lynn

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 11:53 am

Did that route from the other direction in June, you're good. The ride trough Big Horn is great, I think it was hwy 16. My buddy rides a Honda Valkyrie, 125 miles per tank & we had no trouble.
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
I am working on putting together a trip for next summer and have a couple of questions.

Leaving Black Hills and heading west across Wyoming towards Jackson (Hole). Are there enough towns / gas stops for the LT two-up and loaded? Did this trip in 99 in a car and from memory there wasn't many towns along the route. Don't remember the roads but did not go through Thermopolis.

Hope to leave Jackson and head west into Idaho through Arco and the "Craters of the moon" on down to Boise.

Return home via Northern route through Montana.

Item 2: Where in Montana is the "Painted Canyon". I know it is along I94 but can't find any info on my maps.

If my wife and I can get three weeks off instead of two, I will have to fill in even more details on Oregon and Washington.

Thanks all

Merry Christmas

Roy & Lynn
Well, there is the Flaming Gorge in the southwest corner of Wyoming on US-191 south of I-80 at Rock Springs. Or there is the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, inside Yellowstone National Park. I hope either one of those two are the ones you're looking for.

I did find a Painted Canyon in Montana, north of Bozeman, MT. But according to my mapping program, DeLorme, and MapQuest there are no roads that access that area.

There is also a Painted Canyon in the Mojave Desert per Google.

Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; Dec 15th, 2006 at 12:54 pm.

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 2:25 pm

wyoming

the wife and i went to yellowstone last summer. we went from Rawlins to jackson so i can be of no help on gas and food from the black hills to jackson. i will say this- WATCH -your speed on the secondary roads in wyoming. don't ask how i know this little tid-bit of information
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 2:39 pm

The only advice I have for you is DO NOT pass up the chance to top off your tank. Don't start looking for gas when the tank gets low like we all do in our urban home areas. I did western and southwestern MT in a car a few years back and got REAL nervous watching the gas gauge. I just figured I'd take an interstate exit and go look for a station. Not that easy. Seems a few of the small town ones closed at like 6 or 7 PM.

I'd love to do it again on a bike, but I can't do a round trip from NJ, not enough time off, and not to mention my back and knee issues. Does anyone know if and where to rent a motorcycle out that way?
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 3:22 pm

You should have no problems.

We have done a number of similar trips, 2-up on a 2000 LT:
last summer was farther north in WYO (from I90, thru Cody, to BearTooth Pass, and up into Red Lodge Mont);
+maybe 3 yrs ago we wandered the central part (Lander, Riverton, Thermopolis).

I agree with George S (below) - once you get to 1/2 tank, refill at the next station you see; it could be another 80-100 miles before you see one.

As for the painted canyon, I think you'll find it about 30 miles East of Montana, just into ND at Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park near Medora right on I94. We came back through there last year.

When in Boise, ask a local how to get to Bogus Basin, just north of town.
The road leads to a ski area. Great road, not fast, 2nd gear for about 15 miles - lots of fun.

Our trip last year was US12-Lolo pass, south to Boise (to turn around) then NE thru Lowman to Salmon, where there is a great B&B in a log building.
I forget the name, and it's not easy to get to but neat people run it.

HAe a great trip
post #7 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 3:44 pm

When in Boise, ask a local how to get to Bogus Basin, just north of town.
The road leads to a ski area. Great road, not fast, 2nd gear for about 15 miles - lots of fun.
That might be hwy 21 if I recall correctly and yes it is a fantastic road. The first 10-15 miles are okay but then the twisties and switch backs start. Not good if your SO is prong to motion sickness.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 6:15 pm

No problems getting gas.. made the trip many times with a 5 gal tank on my Harley. If I can make it on this, you can make it on the LT!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lt 05.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	8736   Click image for larger version

Name:	97UltaBagger.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	8737  

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

Last edited by usmctpdog; Dec 15th, 2006 at 6:21 pm.
post #9 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 6:52 pm

There is also a Painted Canyon in Oregon, North Dakota and California. The Painted Canyon Visitors Center in North Dakota is of I-94 at Exit 32. It is part of the Theodore Roosevelt National park.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #10 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 11:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
When in Boise, ask a local how to get to Bogus Basin, just north of town . . . Not good if your SO is prone to motion sickness.
Or if you're on a time-based Rally where every minute counts. But yes, it's a great road.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 11:53 pm

Hey, we may have more antelope than people out here (by a factor of 10 at least), and more empty square miles per capita than anyplace this side of the frost line, but we do have gas stations :up: We even been known to make the stuff 'round these parts

You'll have no problem at all - typical max distance between fill points is about 70 miles-ish. So long as you don't expect there to be a gas station where there isn't a town, you'll be fine.

And yea - watch the speeds. BMWs do tend to get some 'pass' from the local boys - but no free rides.

Give a holler when you're ready to roll. Maybe treat ya to some Thermal springs and suds at the 'Dead Animal Bar'

Anything I can do for ya from here to get it all setup - lemme know.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #12 of 14 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 12:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_S
The only advice I have for you is DO NOT pass up the chance to top off your tank. Don't start looking for gas when the tank gets low like we all do in our urban home areas.
DITTO!
I did WY and MT with my brother this summer. I enjoyed the riding a lot more when the tank was full. We cut it close a few times and that can be a bit of a joy killer. Nothin wrong with stopping frequently to top her off, drink some soda, and meet the locals.

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #13 of 14 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 11:37 am

DO NOT pass up the Devils Tower in Wy. Unless you have see it. Just a little north of Sundance off of I90.
You may also want to check out Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse in ND.

Have a great ride. An planning this kind of ride is the best way to fight off the cabin fever.
post #14 of 14 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 6:45 am Thread Starter

Thanks all

Appreciate all of the great advice so far.

My wife has never seen the rockies or been west of the Black Hills so I am trying to plan a route that will get me to Boise in four or five days. I have family in Boise, lived there 6 years myself. I may take her to Bogus Basin or if my brother has time off and we still feel like riding take a swing up through Idaho City, Lowman, Sun Valley etc.

Painted Canyon may well be in North Dakota. I was running on memory since I haven't been out that way since 04 and that was a long fast run for a funeral. Didn't take the time to look at the scenery just remember the sign being along I94.

Thanks again all and

Merry Christmas

Roy & Lynn

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in