Extreem Home Makeover - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

Extreem Home Makeover

If don't have anything to watch turn on ABC's Extreem Homemakeover tonight at 8PST it's a 2hr special. I spent the longest week of my life on this project but it was one of the best also! I am the one in the blue tee shirt and the hard hat.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 6:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
If don't have anything to watch turn on ABC's Extreem Homemakeover tonight at 8PST it's a 2hr special. I spent the longest week of my life on this project but it was one of the best also! I am the one in the blue tee shirt and the hard hat.
I watch that show fairly often, so will tune in tonight. At least you will be easy to spot! Any identifying scars, missing teeth, etc.?

edited: I have often wondered it they REALLY accomplish all that in one week, Guess it's true? Probably not an actual work issue with all the people, but LOGISTICS have to be a bear!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Last edited by dshealey; Dec 10th, 2006 at 6:51 pm. Reason: question
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 9:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
Excellant show. Must be fantastic to participate in one of those shows.

Can you provide any insight into the project? Like Dave said, the logistics must be crazy. What was your role?

Thanks for the viewing tip.

And yes, I still kept an eye on the Saints trouncing Dallas.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 11:47 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
What a great show, Doug. It must have been neat to be a part of that.

I think I saw you. Eighteenth guy from the right?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 8:15 am
Gold Supporter

Doug,

Being a retired L.E.O. that was one of the hardest EHMO's to watch, but damn glad I did. Seeing the brotherhood of the LAPD helping one of their own was very touching and most wouldn't realize how true to life it is. In case no one else said it, THANK YOU for what you and all the others did to help a Brother & Sister in need. Thanks for the heads up about the show.

"Blue T-shirt and Hard hat"

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #6 of 9 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 11:34 am

Great show, and I know you must be proud to have been a part of that experience.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 9 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. Yes it was done in a week, the show at least. The house we built in 106 hrs and if any of you have built anything you will know how unbelievable this is. We had a very hard build and lots of problems to deal with. Rain and lightning, lack of skilled workers at the right time, ect.
The builder Vic is a great guy, tough as nails cigar smoking type of guy but with a hart of pure gold. The house was basically built in a large warehouse and brought to the site and assembled. When the house was demo'ed they brought in 300 yrds of dirt that had to be compacted to level the lot. My friend who did the low voltage wiring used 60k ft of wire! The concrete they used is what is used in high rises so you can pour it and frame on it in 4 hrs, you should have seen that crete smoke! My part was the Head of Safety Division, I basically lived there in my motorhome the whole week. I also was also on the Photo Team and took care of the six motorhomes that housed the builder, marketing team and subs. At the end of the build when we were scrambling I did a little bit of everything. It is funny how things are put togather for the TV show, when they talk about the build/design team and how they did this and that it made me laugh! They were great people and were there alot except for Ty, but they really didn't make anything happen or build hardly anything. Ty is a great guy but he is there the first two days then off to another location then another then back for the final day. Michael is probably the best with greating people and Paige is very nice. We had a special catered dinner at my motorhome one night and they all expressed how great the meal was and they acted just like normal people! The water feature in the front yard was designed in my motorhome, Ed... (the big guy) and one of our landscape people got on a laptop and put it togather. There were so many things that happened that week it's tough to figure out which to tell about. That week changed a lot of peoples lives at the work site. What happened to Kristina is tough but part of the risk of a job that gives you great joy and sometimes incredible sadness, being a firefighter for 30 yrs you become especially close to your PD brothers, she is a great gal and a real fighter and I wouldn't be supprised to see her walking! If you ever get a chance to do something like this don't pass it up!
Here are a few pic's, the guy with the stars is one of our team who lined up the food.

Ed is a big guy

This is just the garage

The great room

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Last edited by dmatson; Dec 11th, 2006 at 3:49 pm.
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 11th, 2006, 2:53 pm

Sounds like a great show - we should get it here in the next year - I shall try and remember (unless you know it's on the interweb somewhere ?)

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #9 of 9 Old Dec 12th, 2006, 6:55 am

I watched it.

The Rigatti family was well served by all of you.....It was hard to watch no matter what you do for a living. Some families have it tough. I kept thinking that she was lucky to be alive considering the injury she suffered.

Thanks for sharing that. People need this kind of support and the show encourages that to the viewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Sounds like a great show - we should get it here in the next year - I shall try and remember (unless you know it's on the interweb somewhere ?)

GoldRush
'06 K1200LT - As of March 2017!
'05 K1200LT - RIP - (totaled 7/8/08)
Former Yankee Beemer Member
Former BMWMOA Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in