Rider mag says FJR over GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 8:07 pm Thread Starter

Rider mag says FJR over GT

new edition has the boys over at Rider choosing The FJR over the GT. Didn't realize the feejer was 5K less. hmmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:11 pm

Thumbs down

Yes, te FJR is at least $5K less. But I knew that when I bought the GT over the FJR. And with no cruise control OR ESA, (and the lame low rider's pegs), I wouldn't be caught dead on the FJR. In January, I will be taking a serious look at the Concours14. But if Kaw doesn't put OEM cruise control on that bad boy, they can keep it as well. I know there are aftermarket cc kits, but I am so not interested in that crap.

For the record, rider magazine didn't like the brakes and the throttle response on the GT. HELLO! They tested an '06 GT and published an article in their Jan '07 edition when the '07 GTs have been out for almost 5 months now! And the things they didn't like about the GT have been changed and/or improved. That article was simply ridiculous, IMO. In fact, there were several ill-informed "facts" stated regarding the GT. But I won't bore you with that list.

Last but not least...I don't know what kind of sissies they got testing sport-tourers down at rider, but some of their comments had me on the floor rolling. After reading the article, I had the feeling that both bikes were simply too much for the girls testing them.
post #3 of 39 Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:23 pm

I have to concur with Joe on this one and add, "Good grief!!!!!! What are those boy's thinking?"

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 1:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
new edition has the boys over at Rider choosing The FJR over the GT. Didn't realize the feejer was 5K less. hmmm.
It can also mean $5K less when the time to sell comes as it does for most eventually. I recognize the cash flow dent a higher priced item can have at purchase, but rarely is the other side of the transaction considered.

The other day I bought a $$$bike, trading a Honda and a $$$BMW. Glad I had the $$$BMW to put against the price of the $$$bike.

One other crucial item understandably left out of reviews... the emotional connection. If it isn't there, think twice... especially for a discretionary purchase.
post #5 of 39 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 7:02 am

Tell 'em Joe!

The best advice is to go out and ride, research and touch the bike you are wanting to buy. A lot of people take these sissy's advice and buy what they read; that's bunk!

Don't let a sissy make your mind up for you!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #6 of 39 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 8:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

I agree with Joe
How can you have a super duper touring bike without cruise?
I don't get it and I probably would not get it

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
post #7 of 39 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 8:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinpgh
I agree with Joe
How can you have a super duper touring bike without cruise?
I don't get it and I probably would not get it
My first thought when everyone started salivating. Of course, it could be a marketing thang, buy the first year without cruise, the second year model has more toy's and escalates as it ages.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 39 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 9:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
Finally, some unbiased, level headed, sensible reporting. Good for the experts down there at Rider.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #9 of 39 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Finally, some unbiased, level headed, sensible reporting. Good for the experts down there at Rider.
Spoken like a true FJR rider. Hey! What's that sound? Oh nothing. Just Dave's wife PASSING him . . . AGAIN!
post #10 of 39 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 3:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Spoken like a true FJR rider. Hey! What's that sound? Oh nothing. Just Dave's wife PASSING him . . . AGAIN!

That's OK, the view ain't so bad...

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #11 of 39 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson
It can also mean $5K less when the time to sell comes as it does for most eventually. I recognize the cash flow dent a higher priced item can have at purchase, but rarely is the other side of the transaction considered.
Excellent point! The first BMW that I bought was the hardest to swing. The trades since then have been relatively easy because I always get a good (and fair) return.
post #12 of 39 Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 3:41 pm

You know...now that I think about it, I could always sell my GT in the Spring and buy TWO barely-used FJRs. Then again, no! The only bike I'd buy from Yamaha at the moment is the R1. Yummy!!!
post #13 of 39 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 11:25 am

Smile

*How could you call either a Touring bike without musical media/Radio with external speakers !

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

post #14 of 39 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
*How could you call either a Touring bike without musical media/Radio with external speakers !
What good is external speakers at 80 mph anyway?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 39 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
First of all . . . NOT "Touring", "SPORT-Touring".

And second of all . . . "external speakers"?! Over 12K on my GT, and I haven't once missed not having speakers on it. I still hear my GPS, cell phone, GMRS, and iPod just fine. The way I always did, even on the LT. IN my helmet!
post #16 of 39 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 2:58 pm

and third, the FJR is SuperSport Touring.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...80/0/home.aspx

Mike
IBA #433
post #17 of 39 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 4:43 pm

* I have no Problem at all hearing my Music coming out my 2005 at any speeds...Even @ High-Speed!!

I prefer my music that way... from the external speakers,
Just like I had it on my Touring Hardly-Dangerous MC's...

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

post #18 of 39 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 7:04 pm

Cool FJR over GT

just a paid advertisement for yamaha. if BMW had come up with more money it would have went the there way. i take all that stuff with a grain of salt.
post #19 of 39 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 8:46 pm
kip

comparison of FJR, GT and ST1300

Motorcyclist magazine did a comparison of the three and had some pretty scathing things to say about the FJR because of the "electronic" clutch.

Their article placed the ST first, the GT second and the FJR dead last.

for whatever its worth

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #20 of 39 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 9:21 am

You need to remember that this is the same mag that picked the Gold Wing over the KLT. Which bike do you have? Did you make the wrong decision? I didn't.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #21 of 39 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Cool Effete motojournalists

Quote:
Last but not least...I don't know what kind of sissies they got testing sport-tourers down at rider, but some of their comments had me on the floor rolling. After reading the article, I had the feeling that both bikes were simply too much for the girls testing them.
Yeah, that Clement Salvadori guy sure doesn't know beans about riding motorcycles (considering he's probably ridden more different models in his lifetime than the combined membership of this group). Who's he to have a personal opinion?

Add to that, why doesn't he spend the total endowment of his writing skills trying to convince himself and everyone in the English speaking world that his current motorcycle is the bestest, most spectacularific thing on wheels? It doesn't seem very manly to me.

Sheesh! He didn't even report on how well the FJR or GT can wheelie or stoppie. And I, for one, am constantly disappointed to see not a single smokin' burn-out pic every time I open the cover of Rider magazine.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #22 of 39 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 3:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkramer
Yeah, that Clement Salvadori guy sure doesn't know beans about riding motorcycles (considering he's probably ridden more different models in his lifetime than the combined membership of this group). Who's he to have a personal opinion?

Add to that, why doesn't he spend the total endowment of his writing skills trying to convince himself and everyone in the English speaking world that his current motorcycle is the bestest, most spectacularific thing on wheels? It doesn't seem very manly to me.

Sheesh! He didn't even report on how well the FJR or GT can wheelie or stoppie. And I, for one, am constantly disappointed to see not a single smokin' burn-out pic every time I open the cover of Rider magazine.
Clement is the number one reason why I subscribe to rider magazine. I have been following him as an avid fan for years, long before he wrote for rider. And his monthly article 'Road Tales' is the very first thing I read when the new rider arrives in the mail.

But anyone who has read Clement's writings for any amount of time knows that Clement is not a very technical rider. Nor does he know very much about the mechanics of a bike, or nuances like suspension setups, and etc.. rider should leave Clement to writing about him forgetting to get the keys out of his pocket before getting all geared up, and let the bike reviewing to someone a little more skilled. Someone a little more like . . . me!

I'll be on the west coast next April/May. If you want to teach me a thing or two about riding...by all means, please do so. You might want to borrow an FJR while you're at it. I'll try to keep up.
post #23 of 39 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Quote:
rider should leave Clement to writing about him forgetting to get the keys out of his pocket before getting all geared up, and let the bike reviewing to someone a little more skilled. Someone a little more like . . . me!
Heh heh, like the rest of us, you'd rather have his job than your own. Rider is not my #1 choice for bike reviews in general, too much "equal time" given to cruisers. Among the mainstream periodicals, I prefer primarily Motorcycle.com and Motorcyclist for reviews. ( The former sates my eyes for those smokin' burn-outs. )

I can appreciate Rider's angle, however staid, that motorcycling is a leisure activity and not some lifestyle pronouncement or pop-culture phenomenon.

Quote:
I'll be on the west coast next April/May. If you want to teach me a thing or two about riding...by all means, please do so. You might want to borrow an FJR while you're at it. I'll try to keep up.
I've got nothing to prove. To you or any other hotdog on a stick . If I want to compete, I'll take up triathlon, golf or trap shooting. Been riding my own ride since my first Huffy.

Depending on booking, I might be in Europe touring the Alps on a GS at that time. But keep us left coasters updated on your itinerary ( like we'll even have a choice ).

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #24 of 39 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 1:02 pm

Quote:
But keep us left coasters updated on your itinerary ( like we'll even have a choice ).
And who is it that holds the gun to your head and makes you read these threads? Or, are you hearing 'the voices' again?
post #25 of 39 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 4:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
And who is it that holds the gun to your head and makes you read these threads?
Perhaps the reviewer for Gun magazine???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #26 of 39 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Quote:
And who is it that holds the gun to your head and makes you read these threads? Or, are you hearing 'the voices' again?

Same principal as rubbernecking at accidents.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #27 of 39 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 9:18 pm

Anybody done with their copy of Rider? or would be willing to pass it on later?

I didn't renew my subscription in time so I missed this issue....
post #28 of 39 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 10:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I've got nothing to prove. To you or any other hotdog on a stick . If I want to compete, I'll take up triathlon, golf or trap shooting. Been riding my own ride since my first Huffy.
There we go again boys... Whose pee-pee is bigger???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #29 of 39 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 5:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
Anybody done with their copy of Rider? or would be willing to pass it on later?

I didn't renew my subscription in time so I missed this issue....
PM me your address. I'm almost done with this one.
post #30 of 39 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 7:38 am

Mine measures a full six ..., oh wait this is a metric ruler, never mind.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #31 of 39 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjac
and third, the FJR is SuperSport Touring.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...80/0/home.aspx
Now I am really confused as to exactly which market niche I fit into:

Sport Touring. (das Bimmer)
Super Sport Touring. (Yammy)
Transcontinental Supersport. (Kawie)

Think I'll buy a Ural for $7K (Super slow sport touring) and invest the rest in an ocean front lot in Honduras and Cuban ceegars with lessons on how to smoke 'em.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #32 of 39 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson

The other day I bought a $$$bike, trading a Honda and a $$$BMW. Glad I had the $$$BMW to put against the price of the $$$bike.

One other crucial item understandably left out of reviews... the emotional connection. If it isn't there, think twice... especially for a discretionary purchase.
the other side of this is buying a expensive BMW and putting serious miles on it, do you know a high mileage goldwing will bring more money than a high mileage LT?

97 GW here with 124 or 134k miles (i forget now) sold for 7500.00usd, bone stock except for some side wing things on it

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #33 of 39 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Now I am really confused as to exactly which market niche I fit into:

Sport Touring. (das Bimmer)
Super Sport Touring. (Yammy)
Transcontinental Supersport. (Kawie)

Think I'll buy a Ural for $7K (Super slow sport touring) and invest the rest in an ocean front lot in Honduras and Cuban ceegars with lessons on how to smoke 'em.
Here is a friend's in Nova Scotia this was just a couple days ago

so if you buy the side hack with the two wheel drive, No bad weather will stop you!
BTW this is HIS only transportation to and from work

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img002_001.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	8571   Click image for larger version

Name:	img004.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	8572  

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #34 of 39 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 9:36 am

Rider sucks....

Rider mag has never been pro-BMW and I suspect they follow their marketing dollars. Years ago they had a pic of an '02 K1200 RS on the cover, same color as mine, so I bought the mag, only to discover there was only one mention in the entire thing about BMWs and it was to say that the Wing was superior to the LT mostly because the trunk on the LT leaked during their test ride. Interesting that they would use a picture of a BMW to sell their mag and then bash the brand... I let them know that I boycott them now.

And Joe, the "girls" comment has got to go!

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #35 of 39 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 9:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd98056
Mine measures a full six ..., oh wait this is a metric ruler, never mind.
and that's why they call you the "meter" man!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #36 of 39 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 9:57 am

I"ve been confused about the market niche I fit in like, forever...

I own an 02 LT, an 06 K12S and an 01 yamaha FZ1....

And all I can think of is how bad I want an old honda 125!!!

doh! maybe thats why they call it motorcycling.

And I have to agree about those cuban ceegars, I need some more of those

happy trails...geo
post #37 of 39 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:32 am

Guns 'n' Held Noses

Quote:
I suppose one could say there is a shotgun pattern to your "contributions" on these forums.

However, I would liken reading these forums to traversing the backyard of some shiftless small dog owner. It's almost impossible accomplish without stepping in something. This site, as well as its previous incarnation, is so peppered with little Joe turds that the avoidance factor is slim to none.

"Just add him to your Ignore List!" might be the call of many of the community members. But I'm strongly opposed to censorship in any form unless there is malicious intent. And, I take yours and others' word for it that you're not mean. Just Joe, THINE Village Idiot.

Besides, just like the proverbial million monkeys pecking at typewriters, a few shiny nuggets do emerge from the slag now and then, as well as such newspeak, dumbed-down, retarded terminology like 'push steering' .

Every court needs its fool. Keep 'em coming.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #38 of 39 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:37 am

Quote:
I suppose one could say there is a shotgun pattern to your "contributions" on these forums.

However, I would liken reading these forums to traversing the backyard of some shiftless small dog owner. It's almost impossible accomplish without stepping in something. This site, as well as its previous incarnation, is so peppered with little Joe turds that the avoidance factor is slim to none.

"Just add him to your Ignore List!" might be the call of many of the community members. But I'm strongly opposed to censorship in any form unless there is malicious intent. And, I take yours and others' word for it that you're not mean. Just Joe, THINE Village Idiot.

Besides, just like the proverbial million monkeys pecking at typewriters, a few shiny nuggets do emerge from the slag now and then, as well as such newspeak, dumbed-down, retarded terminology like 'push steering' .

Darn it!!! Just when I was sure I didn't like you, and that we would never understand each other...you go and post a gem like that.

"THINE Village Idiot"? Sweet! Headed to the options page!
post #39 of 39 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 6:56 pm

Quote:

Could not have said it better myself. Joe your like watching Alan Colmes on TV, you make people want to reach through the screen for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in