Phishing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 5:40 pm Thread Starter

Phishing

Don't these folk's ever give up? It didn't all paste, but they want you to click and sign in to confirm this order. As if.

Dear member,

This email confirms that you have paid [email protected] $699.99 USD using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *DELL INC".

Payment Details

Purchased From:Dell.Inc
Item #Item TitleQuantity

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 6:05 pm

Yepperz...they're relentless. The easiest way foil them is to put a false username and password in their page. If it goes through, then you know that it's a fraud.
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 8:57 pm

I ain't got the know how to send them a virus, or I would trash their systems.
Rock

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 2:49 am Thread Starter

I'd like to trash more than their systems!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 7:33 am

The reason they don't give up is because it works.

http://people.deas.harvard.edu/~rach...hing_works.pdf
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixchard
The reason they don't give up is because it works.

http://people.deas.harvard.edu/~rach...hing_works.pdf
A sad comment on the intelligence level in this country, but the real reason they keep doing it is because our goverment absolutely refuses to address it. States have tried, California had a pretty good law being proposed, but our fine federal government overrode any existing state laws, and prevented any new ones with their pathetic and innefective federal statute. Now we are saddled with a dead on arrival federal law that now prevents any state or local entity from doing anything better.

The fact that many, but certainly not all sources are offshore could be handled by blocking the offshore ISPs hosting them from connecting to the US network. That sounds hard, but I have seen more than one internet expert state that it could be done with pretty high effectiveness. Cable/phone line connections could be pretty well covered, but individual satellite connections not so well.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:54 pm

Playing the devil's advocate, how can state laws be expected to address an international problem?

This would seem to be a case of where we need to follow the money. We need make it more difficult to profit from the phishing attacks if we are going to reduce the number of attacks.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #8 of 11 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 10:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
Playing the devil's advocate, how can state laws be expected to address an international problem?

This would seem to be a case of where we need to follow the money. We need make it more difficult to profit from the phishing attacks if we are going to reduce the number of attacks.
No, not internationally, but if the states were allowed to do something like CA was trying to do, they could severely curtail or make untenable phishing or scamming actions by parties within in the USA.

My point is that we basically have no one looking out for us, since the federal government has botched it entirely, and in doing so made it practically impossible for state or local agencies to do anything to protect their constituents.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 8:35 am

I may be mistaken, but there are already laws on the books that address the fraud issues inherent in these phishing sites. It would seem to make more sense to enforce the laws we already have rather than pass more laws that won't be enforced.

The US has banned online gambling sites for years with the only result being that the sites moved off shore. The recent legislation preventing credit card companies from handling payments to the gambling sites will at least have some short term effect until a work around is found.

I'm all in favor of limiting the power of the federal government, but a state law trying to address problems of this sort is merely politicians posturing for votes IMHO.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #10 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 8:29 pm

i received an appearent email from paypal tonight for a $29 gucci key chain. i've used paypal but don't have an account. i don't know what to do with this. i called my credit card company and reported it but don't know if i should do anything else. any suggestions. omurphy
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 8:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by omurphy
i received an appearent email from paypal tonight for a $29 gucci key chain. i've used paypal but don't have an account. i don't know what to do with this. i called my credit card company and reported it but don't know if i should do anything else. any suggestions. omurphy
when I have gotten stuff like that, I report it to PayPal as well... If anybody is going to do anything, it'll probably be them...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in