Dish or Direct TV? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 5:14 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb Dish or Direct TV?

Moving out to a Home in the Country and have to give up FASTCable Internet & TV.

Need to sign up with either Direct or Dish. * I Have read alot of Horror stories on both and looks like both require atleast a 12 mo contract and my SSN which I am loath to give out. I don't care about watching sports so that makes no matter to me.

Other than that, do you Satellite guys like Dish or Direct better?
Anything to watch for? What about buying my own equipment?

Thanks!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 6:00 pm

Well I get DISH from my local telco.
I rent, but get a discount that just pays for the equipment.
Dish customer service sux in my opinion.
But Adelphia cable service was bad so I went back to Dish in a different way.
Some friends of ours defected from Dish and went to Direct and are happy with them. Best advise would be to look up the programming on the Internet and see which packages they offer and pick the one you like best. I would rent IF you can get a deal. They will be changing format in the future (encoder) so if you buy you might get stuck if you buy. Just be sure and read all the fine print and gotchas.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

Last edited by mwnahas; Nov 27th, 2006 at 6:11 pm.
post #3 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 6:07 pm

I went with DishNetwork because they have more Hi-Def channels.

That's about the only reason.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 6:11 pm

I have had Dish for many years and never an issue. If you have ATT you can package it on one bill and I do not believe there is a 1 year contract.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #5 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 6:17 pm

Direct

I do not know anyone who is happy with Dish up hear in Michigan. They have aoo switched to Direct TV.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Ride Safe
post #6 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 6:45 pm

Distant station

We live in an RV and travel. The most recent problem with Dish is they will cut the feed for those people receiving the LA and NY network feeds on Dec. 1st.

If you are going to live where you might (might the operative word) be able to receive networks ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC with a regular antenna you may not be able to get network feeds from Dish unless they can feed you that local station. You might check the forums for both to figure out the situation.

We signed an affidavit with Directv saying we move around and are out of range most of the time. Dish did not offer local programing from our home address so we would not be able to get the 4 major networks. Most full time RVers are bailing from Dish.
post #7 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 7:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have had DISH service for at least 7 years. One year the local baseball team dropped their contract and I switched back to cable for a year. Dish put my account into a "sleep mode" while they negotiated with the sports
organization. A year later they had the coverage.

I have two receivers that I purchased (as part of a promotional deal) . One has an IR remote the other has an RF remote. I use the IR for the main TV in the family room. I have 4 TV's daisy-chained on the 2nd floor and can control the SAT receiver with the RF remote from any room. There has been one Smart Card upgrade to limit piracy. I also have all the local network channels for an additional $5/mo

Installed & aimed the dish myself . . . a no-brainer. They provided hard copy and a VHS tape for self installation. I called customer service once to drop the service due to the baseball issue and was given no hassles and agreed to the "sleep" mode. Local cable service always had interruptions due to tree rats (squirrels) and downed trees on powerlines. The local code requires SAT dishes to be mounted out of site from the front/street elevation.. Couldn't get a SW view and the color of the dish matched the color of my shutters. The township engineer did a drive by and OK'd the installation.

The local TV shop where I purchased the package sold both systems but recommended DISH. I like the on-screen schedules (up to 6 hours) and summaries & actor ID's of the programming with the touch of the remote.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #8 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 8:07 pm
Bouncer

DirecTV - Had it since 1991 and have never looked back. NFL Sunday Ticket (especially the RedZone Channel) is the best thing that ever happened to Sunday TV.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #9 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 8:29 pm

I have DISH and love it. My friend that has DirecTV doesn't like Direct as much now that TiVo has split off. Don't remember the details, but that's what he told me. Just checkout the channel options and go with the one that suits your programming needs.
post #10 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
NFL Sunday Ticket (especially the RedZone Channel) is the best thing that ever happened to Sunday TV.
You don't need NFL Sunday Ticket to watch the SeaHawks get beat week after week!

Go Favre!!!
post #11 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 8:48 pm

I've been with DirecTV for a few years, have it on 4 sets. Cable company was a horror story. Phantom charges kept appearing on my cable bill and it would take six months of calling them to get it resolved. They kept saying it was taken care of, and then, next month those charges were back. Have used DirecTV customer service just a few times and it was a surprisingly pleasant experience.
post #12 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 9:02 pm

I've had DirecTV for about 5 years and love it.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #13 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 9:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just moved over to ATT DSL and DISH... install is this Friday.. will know soon enough, just fed up with the Kable Krud.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #14 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

*Thanks for all the Info !!! I guess I will be going with whoever has the best, least expensive deal since I don't care about sports but do love my HBO, FX, CNBC and Turner Classic Movies! I am kinda leaning towards Direct at the moment from what I have read so far..

The snow has started and over @ my friends house we had to run outside to brush the snow off his DirectTV satellite to get reception going again!!!

So I learned around her that the satellite has to be mounted low enough to brush off when it snows!!

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #15 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
So I learned around her that the satellite has to be mounted low enough to brush off when it snows!!
FWIW, I live in the snowbelt of Cleveland, Ohio...and I have yet to have loss of reception due to snow. Perhaps my installer knew something that most do not.
post #16 of 20 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 10:46 pm

Hey Top,
I have dish and satellite internet in the mountain home. Am very pleased with Dish. Since I use internet at this home very seldom, I worked out deal with independent satellite internet service for $25/month.

I have cable in primary home and Direct at the house in San Jose. I HATE Direct.....period.

Hope this helps

Col OKU

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #17 of 20 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 3:01 pm

The programming looks similar on Dish vs DirecTV. I'm switching to DirecTV after 4-1/2 years of Dish in order to get a newer HD receiver for the Philips 37" TV I just bought. The package deal was $200 off at Best Buy.

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i
post #18 of 20 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 3:30 pm

Dish or Direct TV

I have been with Direct TV for over 16 years now and I haven't had any serious problems, oh wait a minute my RCA remote finally died about a year ago and they sent me a new one free. Honor, Courage, and Commitement '' SEMPER FIDELIS ''.
post #19 of 20 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 7:21 pm

I've had both. For my choices Dish was a little cheaper so I went with that. Then they dropped what was then Speedvision in a contract fight. I switched to Directv after missing too many F1 races. I switched back after they got back Speed and then a few years later they got in another contract fight and dropped Outdoor Life, now VS. I missed too many hockey games and switched again.

Their picture quality is similar, Directv is a bit softer, but digital compression is much more obvious on Dish Network. Some channels really show artifacts of their compression scheme. Especially on dark scenes. It can be distracting. Like others said look for what programming you want. But beware, Charlie at Dish plays hardball at times and is not afraid to drop programming when contract time comes up.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
— Charles Bukowski
post #20 of 20 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Smile

I called Dish and talked to someone in the Phillipines....
I called Direct and talked to someone in Iowa who also offered some discounts for the first year ....

Guess who I was more comfortable with ??

*Ridin steady since 1973

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in