Impressions after 2 days of using Vista Release - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 4:44 pm Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Impressions after 2 days of using Vista Release

For all of those who know me for more than 5 minutes I don't have to state the following for but the rest: I am not exactly known to love M$ products, and hence the the following short review should be taken with a grain of salt. Actually it is ot going to be a real review, just a few comments on what I have seen of Windows Vista RELEASE, mind you not any beta or RC.

Which one of the news would you like to hear first? The good? OK. Vista seems to be quite intelligent, the upgrade process from XP SP2 (only 32bit!!) works and after you waited for roughtly 7 hours (no kidding) you have a PC that runs Vista, has alomst all the program back in place, looks nice, and seems to work a tad faster. At least on the PC's I left Vista running. The new UI is .... new. Not bad, but noting to make a song about either, some cool touches with graphics effects are implemented, some things changed where to find them. (It took me a few minutes to find where to change the resolution of the monitor) Going to sleep and coming out of sleep seems faster for the laptop I installed it on.

Now for the negative: Drivers: You will need new ones. XP drivers will NOT work. Vista is a bit wasteful with memory. XP runs in 128MB, Vista NEEDS 512MB RAM, and for serious work you should plan to up that to at least 1GB.

Things to mention that are neither positive or negative, just remarks. Vista is the first OS that I am aware of that INSISTS on having a graphics processor(GPU) in the system(videocard) If you do not have a supported GOU with MINIMUM 32MB RAM Vista will not run, and even if it does on the low end graphics cards, the performance will be absolutely abysmal. Now OTOH if you happen to have a nice graphics card with a good 3D graphics processor (ATI, NVIDIA, ...) with 128MB or more you will see some visual tricks come alive that make working visually more interesting, like the transparent window borders and other stuff.

For those of you that are in the process of thinking of a new PC for X-mas if you think of EVER upgrading that to Vista, you better make sure you have the best graphics in there you can afford, otherwise VIsta will not be happy, and neither will you. And upgrading one of the run of the mill current PC's no matter how powerful the CPU, if you don't have a decent GPU ... fugetaboutit!

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 4:57 pm

Thanks Andy!

After playing with compiz/beryl on FC6 - got all the wiggly menus, shaded edges and neato visual effects I can stomach. Though, I gotta admit, the 'cube' effect when switching desktops is cool. (and it'll run on even an ol embedded i810 VGA adapter).

You run into any of the Vista activation stuff yet? Lots of speculation and commentary on all that. I know for our clients here in BFE, we're talking of holding off on Vista for a bit. I've yet to see any pressing reason to deploy it. I'm sure it's out there, somewhere. It just ain't smacked me, yet....

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #3 of 3 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 1:30 am

Garage
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
I know for our clients here in BFE, we're talking of holding off on Vista for a bit. I've yet to see any pressing reason to deploy it. I'm sure it's out there, somewhere. It just ain't smacked me, yet....
Been playing with Vista for some time now since early Beta release - all on virtual machines - with the exception of the latest RC on an actual machine so I can "look at" the whole AERO thing.

Have too have yet to see a compelling reason to upgrade. We're still a Win 2K pro and XP Pro SP2 shop - and most of our applications are MS Office, Auto CAD and some legacy DOS apps.

Other than some nice eye candy I can't justify the upgrade due to the age of our hardware and no real productivity gains for the end user.

Our next hardware cycle upgrade will be sometime first quarter 2007 - I'm still going to spec. XPSP2. We probably won't get Vista until sometime after SP1 hits the streets (late 2007? early 2008?).

BTW - apply all the above for my opinions on Office 2007...

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in