More computer advice needed. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

More computer advice needed.

Just a quick synopsis of my problem and a question.

Lately, I've not been able to see the banner on my sig line (the time/temp/location bar); I only see a red X, if I wait long enough. I also am not able to see whatever is at the Members Map thangie (the Frappr sticker) and again, only see the red X if I wait around for it. On clicking either one of these items, I get the:

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

I don't know of anythang recently done to the PC that would cause my problem, but with Windows XP, I guess it's possible that a downloadable upgrade might have occurred? Dunno.

Anyway, any quick checks I can make that might solve the problem, before I call the 12 year old nerdie neighbor?!?! TIA.

BTW - I have deleted cookies, and temp. internet files, butt no joy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 3:40 pm

The Frapper image is missing for me more times than not and FWIW, I always see you banner in your sig line.

If I had to guess, I would say the issue is not with your pc/browser, rather it is a perfomance issue with Frapper site and Underground weather site not being able to supply those images timely enough....

I'm sure someone else will have some ideas DIck, but I think you are ok...
post #3 of 21 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 3:58 pm

Dick, I can never see your banner but that is because my browser (Maxthon) is set to filter such things out. I can uncheck that filter and refresh, and voila, it's there! I bore you with story to tell you that IE7, MS's new browser version is using a lot of Maxthon's filters and what-not. If your PC is set to update automatically, MS may have updated IE to the new version 7 on ya. If that's the case, then I'd bet that it's the popup filters that's blocking that banner.

post #4 of 21 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 4:05 pm

Dick, Firefox makes me sick - '16deg in Boerne' (never had probs seeing your sig line with THE alternate browser)

(ps Joe, why Maxthon over Firefox???)

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Woolly; Nov 15th, 2006 at 4:10 pm.
post #5 of 21 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Smile

Dick, usually if you can't see an item that you are using a link from it is probably because the site that is hosting the graphic or script (weather) is down. Your browser's settings could also be blocking the images. To check this go in your browser, in IE, go to Tools then Internet Options, then Security. Make sure that your setting is medium-high (works well). Then go to the Advance Tab look for Multimedia and make sure that Show Pictures is checked. There may be other things you could check but I am in a bit of a hurry and couldn't read them all. Under Firefox it is pretty much the same but under different names. Hope this helps.

David

2003 K1200 LTC Anthracite
post #6 of 21 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaz
Dick, usually if you can't see an item that you are using a link from it is probably because the site that is hosting the graphic or script (weather) is down. Your browser's settings could also be blocking the images. To check this go in your browser, in IE, go to Tools then Internet Options, then Security. Make sure that your setting is medium-high (works well). Then go to the Advance Tab look for Multimedia and make sure that Show Pictures is checked. There may be other things you could check but I am in a bit of a hurry and couldn't read them all. Under Firefox it is pretty much the same but under different names. Hope this helps.
David - thanks a lot. I've been almost to the end of that suggestion, butt never finished the journey!! I'll try that next. I did know that other folks can see the wx banner in my sig line, btw.

BTW - just found out the 12 year old neighbor is outta state for Thanksgiving, so guess I'll have to wait on him!!

Thanks all - love this family.
post #7 of 21 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 4:53 pm

• Dick, gettin worried bout you - it's dropped to 15 degC now

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #8 of 21 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Dick, I can never see your banner but that is because my browser (Maxthon) is set to filter such things out. I can uncheck that filter and refresh, and voila, it's there! I bore you with story to tell you that IE7, MS's new browser version is using a lot of Maxthon's filters and what-not. If your PC is set to update automatically, MS may have updated IE to the new version 7 on ya. If that's the case, then I'd bet that it's the popup filters that's blocking that banner.
I gotta feeling you're right, Joe. I've been getting constant requests to upgrade to IE 7, butt haven't done it manually yet. Maybe it awdjewmagically did it to me and didn't lemme know. I'll check on that, and the pop-up blocker thang and the filter settings. Thanks, Joe. I wuz fixin' to blame it on Grif's DVD/CD/CDRW/CB/GT contagious thang!!
post #9 of 21 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Could be that too Dick hehe

David

2003 K1200 LTC Anthracite
post #10 of 21 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
  • Dick, gettin worried bout you - it's dropped to 15 degC now
Yeppir - gonna freeze in the Tejas Hill Country tonite. Not a hard freeze, butt just enough freeze time that she gets me to move all the hangin' plants into the garage on a high tech rigging (ok, so it's just a ladder! Butt it articulates!!! ), and blanket the rest of the porch stuff! I been harpin' for years that if we used plastic flowers and such, nobody'd know the difference; we'd quit wastin' water; and I could watch the bees go nutz tryin' to pollinate the farm!! No joy!!
post #11 of 21 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 8:02 pm

Dick, you need to free up some gearage space, I installed the neatest, propane fired greenhouse heater with a thermostat, for Sandar the mag.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 21 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Dick, you need to free up some gearage space, I installed the neatest, propane fired greenhouse heater with a thermostat, for Sandar the mag.
Yeah, butt if I brought all her plants over to Sandar's greenhouse, you'd have to build a slide-out!! BTW - one year, I hung plastic sheeting around the back patio perimeter, stapling all the loose edges --- dang plants in there died of malnutrition or suffocation, or sumpthin'. Costly!!
post #13 of 21 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 10:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Yeah, butt if I brought all her plants over to Sandar's greenhouse, you'd have to build a slide-out!! BTW - one year, I hung plastic sheeting around the back patio perimeter, stapling all the loose edges --- dang plants in there died of malnutrition or suffocation, or sumpthin'. Costly!!
Simple really, considering Cheryl makes you go outside to pass gas.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 21 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 10:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Simple really, considering Cheryl makes you go outside to pass gas.
Nah - I've gotten purdy good at blamin' one of the paw print gang. Tell ya truth, that leetle he-dog will learn ya to stand up-wind of him! Surprises hisself sometimes!!
post #15 of 21 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 5:55 am

Quote:

UhOh....I've heard there is a relationship between Grif and Tim the Toolman Taylor.

"Canyon Lake Fire Department.....we have a problem"

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #16 of 21 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 6:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
UhOh....I've heard there is a relationship between Grif and Tim the Toolman Taylor.

"Canyon Lake Fire Department.....we have a problem"
You think that's good..... after building it, I wired and plumbed it, too

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 21 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 8:19 am

Dang Dick, my computer locked up as I was reading your post. There must be something contagious going around.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #18 of 21 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 11:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
Dang Dick, my computer locked up as I was reading your post. There must be something contagious going around.
Hey, Alan - yup, I think you're right. Let's go get Grif's laptop and take it to a nerd and see what the 12 twelve year old sez!! Gotta be part of that key shift problem he has - came all the way from Gawja!!
post #19 of 21 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 12:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
Hey, Alan - you're computer oughta be unlocked now! Mine got fixed. Have no clue what wuz done to make it well again, butt I tried all the good tips the folks told me, and one, or all, of 'em did the trick. I now can see what the temp is, and the Frappr thangie doesn't hang up loading the Home page. Plus I can contact my IP now and clear all the virus/junk e-mails they waylay for me. And seems like everythang on the PC works faster now ('cept my happy fingers!!). Anyway, thanks all, for your help. Least now I don't have to pay the 12 year old neighbor the big bucks for a rescue!!!
post #20 of 21 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 3:43 pm

More computer advice needed

Hi Dick
Where did you get the banner from?
TA
post #21 of 21 Old Nov 19th, 2006, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axamax
Hi Dick
Where did you get the banner from?
TA
Hi, TA - got it from Edgar Tanner, I think. Check your PMs in a minute or so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in