Computer advice needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

Computer advice needed

Here's the deal: I bought Streets and Trips 2007 (currently have 2005), shoved it in the CD player/burner and nada-zilch. It plays and burns music CD's just fine and downloads other software, but refuses to budge on this one. Went to device manager, no conflicts, everything is fine. Software loader and unloader, silence. Went to run and tried an .exe, no love. Went to CD properties and fiddled there, nope. I think it might be something to do with Window's Media Player, but why would other software work and MS Streets don't?

I trotted to town and bought one of those CD cleaners for the computer and one for the disc.... no love, yet again.

BTW, I just shoved it into the laptop and it loaded just fine.

Any idea's?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 5:07 pm

Interesting..

Maybe it's a DVD and not a CD....

So your DVD drive in your laptop will read it but your CDRW drive in your home computer won't...

Just a guess...If that's not it. let me know.. I'll PM you my # if necessary and we'll talk our way through it..

You could network the two together and share the DVD drive on the laptop and use it to load the program on the Desktop...

HTH

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #3 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 6:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen

So your DVD drive in your laptop will read it but your CDRW drive in your home computer won't...

Just a guess...If that's not it. let me know.. I'll PM you my # if necessary and we'll talk our way through it..

You could network the two together and share the DVD drive on the laptop and use it to load the program on the Desktop...

HTH

John
It's a CDRW drive in the laptop, too. This is insanity and I'd love you to talk me thru this.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 9:20 pm

It's startin to sound a little "Brokeback" in here..........

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #5 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 11:09 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
It's a CDRW drive in the laptop, too. This is insanity and I'd love you to talk me thru this.
Burn an "archive" copy of it from your laptop to a CD and see if it reads on your computer (probably not "protected" - worth a try) or try copying the whole thing (if it reads at all) to a folder on your hard drive (be sure to show all files from explorer options).

I've had "a few" CDs from MSOFT that have had the same issue ("outta-whack" CD drive... who knows) - would read fine on one machine and not on another - and never would be the same machine twice.

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #6 of 20 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 11:41 pm

SWAG'n here...

Fire up Windows Explorer, with the disc in the drive, Right click on the drive, little menu comes up, left click on 'autoplay'

Anything?

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #7 of 20 Old Nov 11th, 2006, 12:33 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Here's the deal: I bought Streets and Trips 2007 (currently have 2005), shoved it in the CD player/burner and nada-zilch. It plays and burns music CD's just fine and downloads other software, but refuses to budge on this one. Went to device manager, no conflicts, everything is fine. Software loader and unloader, silence. Went to run and tried an .exe, no love. Went to CD properties and fiddled there, nope. I think it might be something to do with Window's Media Player, but why would other software work and MS Streets don't?

I trotted to town and bought one of those CD cleaners for the computer and one for the disc.... no love, yet again.

BTW, I just shoved it into the laptop and it loaded just fine.

Any idea's?
Streets and trips 2007 is on a DVD and will not work in a standard CD/CDRW drive. Your laptop probably has a CD/DVD drive.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #8 of 20 Old Nov 11th, 2006, 12:38 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen

HTH

John
You actually cannot install streets and trips from a shared CD/DVD drive. You can do a network share install on the laptop, share the HDD and then remotely install the program on any computer on the network. The Microsoft Knowledge Base article describing the procedure is here.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #9 of 20 Old Nov 11th, 2006, 4:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
It's startin to sound a little "Brokeback" in here..........
Brokeback Megabites?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 20 Old Nov 11th, 2006, 4:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
SWAG'n here...

Fire up Windows Explorer, with the disc in the drive, Right click on the drive, little menu comes up, left click on 'autoplay'

Anything?
Done did that already!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 20 Old Nov 11th, 2006, 4:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
You actually cannot install streets and trips from a shared CD/DVD drive. You can do a network share install on the laptop, share the HDD and then remotely install the program on any computer on the network. The Microsoft Knowledge Base article describing the procedure is here.
Looks kewl and doable, but not till I get back from bike show in Houston. Thanks man.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 20 Old Nov 11th, 2006, 4:56 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino
Burn an "archive" copy of it from your laptop to a CD and see if it reads on your computer (probably not "protected" - worth a try) or try copying the whole thing (if it reads at all) to a folder on your hard drive (be sure to show all files from explorer options).

I've had "a few" CDs from MSOFT that have had the same issue ("outta-whack" CD drive... who knows) - would read fine on one machine and not on another - and never would be the same machine twice.
Thanks Gino, may be easier than trying to nework our computers.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 20 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

Success!

I installed a new CDR/DVD today, it works and Streets and Trips installed. Man, the things you have to do!

Thanks Randy!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #14 of 20 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 5:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
I installed a new CDR/DVD today, it works and Streets and Trips installed. Man, the things you have to do!

Thanks Randy!
or... get a Mac! Of course this would put me and many others on this site out of business. Windows = job security!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #15 of 20 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 5:59 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
or... get a Mac! Of course this would put me and many others on this site out of business. Windows = job security!
Not to belabor the obvious.... but if you had a Mac with a CD-ROM it wouldn't read a DVD either.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #16 of 20 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Not to belabor the obvious.... but if you had a Mac with a CD-ROM it wouldn't read a DVD either.
I've never read a DVD

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 20 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 9:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

good luck Grif.. I hear tell them things are black magic...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #18 of 20 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 9:22 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
I've never read a DVD
You'd need some powerful glasses

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #19 of 20 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 11:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
That is what you reveal your client after countless hours of consulting!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #20 of 20 Old Nov 14th, 2006, 11:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
But it would if it had a SuperDrive, which most Macs do nowadays. But then you'd have to install BootCamp and shudder Windows. Just not worth it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in