Calling all Physics boffins - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 8:45 am Thread Starter

Calling all Physics boffins

During the last week or two, a buddy and I have been using a rather nice set of Carb balancing gauges which we had on loan (not on my LT). While working on the bike we got into a discussion about home made "Heath Robinson" devices for doing the same job as the 70.00 gauges. We both agreed that a set of tubes filled with water would work very well, but got into discussion about optimum tube size to maximise the accuracy of the level change.

Given that the same Vacuum is applied to point A on the tubes, which water level will change the most? 5mm tube, 10mm tube, or will they both move the same. -see picture-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pascals tubes.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	8130  

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 9:08 am

I don't think it would make much difference given the tube sizes you describe if you are only interested in the difference between the two readings and not in the absolute value of the readings. You might find this article interesting.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 9:45 am

Vacum gauges

Mike

I think the issue may be more the 'lift' that can be exerted which is why they use mercury(?)

$4 gauge advice here:

http://www.airheads.org/content/view/183/98/

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards
During the last week or two, a buddy and I have been using a rather nice set of Carb balancing gauges which we had on loan (not on my LT). While working on the bike we got into a discussion about home made "Heath Robinson" devices for doing the same job as the 70.00 gauges. We both agreed that a set of tubes filled with water would work very well, but got into discussion about optimum tube size to maximise the accuracy of the level change.

Given that the same Vacuum is applied to point A on the tubes, which water level will change the most? 5mm tube, 10mm tube, or will they both move the same. -see picture-
Diameter of the tube makes no difference, both will read the same difference in height of liquid in the tube, no matter if it is a very small tube, or a very large one.

Water is not used for carb balancing as the height of the column would have to be quite large. If you have 15" of Mercury vacuum reading (common at near idle), that will be 204" of water! Someone would have to stand on a ladder to read the top column height.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 5 Old Nov 10th, 2006, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk_edwards

Don't use water! If you do you'll suck a lot of water into your engine.

I made a 6 tube manometer to use on my 6 cyl Honda CBX. I used 6 glass tubes, 1/8 inch ID, mounted to a board with graduations. The bottom of the tubes are submerged in a Mercury filled reservoir. The top of the tubes are attached to clear tygon tubing that goes to the carb synchronizing ports. Works very well.

Bruce Hodges

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in