anyone near the Dragon hear about this? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 11:11 am Thread Starter

anyone near the Dragon hear about this?

I just ran across this article. Damn.....

https://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/ta...his-1788532654

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 1:38 pm

Re: anyone near the Dragon hear about this?

Not in a place I can watch the video at the moment but 2 weeks ago, I passed by several rescue vehicles on the dragon where someone had gone over and they had not gotten him back up to the road at the time I went by. No one was rushing around so I wonder about the person if they survived. I don't know what happened and riding with a friend and both went over, I wonder if it was something or someone coming the other direction. Again, I am not able to watch the video yet so if he mentions what happened, I will watch it later when I am in a location where I can view it. I have passed by many places where someone was off the road whether it was through their own actions or someone else riding beyond their means. Be careful out there.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #3 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2016, 3:38 am
Enjoy The Ride

The article I read said the BMW rider rear ended the Victory rider's bike when the Victory bike slowed down. It also said the rider on the Victory bike is the rider that died.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2016, 7:37 am

Finally got to watch the video. Very sad to watch but glad he survived. He said he was being stupid and there is no room for that on those type of roads. I give anyone in front plenty of room and if someone comes up behind, I let them by.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #5 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2016, 9:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Finally got to watch the video. Very sad to watch but glad he survived. He said he was being stupid and there is no room for that on those type of roads. I give anyone in front plenty of room and if someone comes up behind, I let them by.
The two riders were friends riding together. Only the survivor knows for sure but maybe just a split second of inattention by trailing rider when leading rider slowed led to the tragedy. A better choice of protective head gear however may have prevented the unfortunate death. The following are links to photos of the two just prior to the accident.

Xtreme Sports Photography at PhotoReflect.com - DRAGON Photos Oct 15th, 2016 Sat

Xtreme Sports Photography at PhotoReflect.com - DRAGON Photos Oct 15th, 2016 Sat

'14 R1200RT
'12 Tiger 800
post #6 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2016, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
Very sobering. I'm glad the gentelemen survived. It's always a challenge to not get too macho and pay attention to the road, even when you are surrounded by beauty. I have only ridden the Dragon once (on my Valkyrie) and I enjoyed riding much faster than my buddy on his HD. In the back of my mind, I have always wondered if I will be even more aggressive the next time (most likely on the LT). That remains to be seen, but videos like this helps me keep things in perspective.

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2016, 9:45 am

I was riding the dragon on the 16th. I bet the video i have mentioned in my first post is of that rescue as I passed by. It was around 3:15 and people coming the other way were alerting oncoming riders of something ahead. I will see if I can post it tonight.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #8 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2016, 9:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad View Post
I just ran across this article. Damn.....

https://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/ta...his-1788532654
This is some of the video I took on the 17th, the day Kevin Diepenbrock was rescued. I have no idea if this is that rescue but the timing is right. It is a relatively straight portion of the dragon so I would not expect this to happen there. Apparently, neither did Kevin.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in