WHY I REPAINTED MY RT TRUNK! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lynn_Keen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 12th, 2016, 9:53 am Thread Starter

WHY I REPAINTED MY RT TRUNK!

A couple of weeks ago we were privileged to have couple of grand kids visit for several days. This included our 11 year old grandson who always likes to go for motorcycle rides. After getting him suited up in riding gear I installed the rear trunk on the RT so he would have a backrest and off we went. About an hour into our ride out through the Osceola National Forest we crossed a bridge that goes over US 90. Felt a pretty good bump on the bridge, heard a strange noise and the kid started beating me on the shoulder and yelling something that I couldn't understand. So, I stopped and he said "THE TRUNK FELL OFF". The first thing I thought was, Holy crap, glad he didn't go with it! Anyway, turned around and found it lying on the bridge resting up against the curb. One more bounce and it would have went overboard and maybe landed in the middle of someone's windshield down on US 90! As bad as the whole situation seemed I felt lucky. Anyway, every time I mount that trunk I always tug, pull, and lift on it to be sure it's mounted properly. However, even though I did do that, I obviously screwed up. The good news is that even though it was battered and bruised with lots of road rash, the mounting hardware was still intact and undamaged. So I put it back on the bike and we finished the ride without further issue. After catching up on my Honey-Do's I finally started the job of repairing and refinishing the damage. Fortunately it wasn't broken anywhere just bruised and scared. After several days I finally finished repairing and prepped it for paint. It was then off to the local auto parts store in search of some paint. I found a couple of rattle cans that according to the color of the plastic caps were a good match for the black on the bottom half and the silver up top. After masking off the top half and spraying the black along with a couple coats of clear on the bottom, I masked the bottom and sprayed the top. Well the silver paint that I got didn't even come close to matching the rattle can lid. Looked like grandma's fine silver that had just been polished! Not even close to any silver on the bike. So, it was back to the store for a can of flat clear paint. After a couple coats the flat it killed the shine and rendered it acceptable. Overall looks pretty good. Attached a quick photo. Happy with the results and the material cost beats the hell out of a $200 Body Shop paint job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	114130  
PadG likes this.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 12th, 2016, 10:29 am

Garage
Re: WHY I REPAINTED MY RT TRUNK!

I am curious as to how many other top boxes have unexplainedly came off while riding. I have read a few posts relating the same thing as yours. Mine has very little movement BUT the girl leans against it and has been known to nap while riding. She would not be a happy camper if the box let go. Steve
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 13th, 2016, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why aint we riding View Post
I am curious as to how many other top boxes have unexplainedly came off while riding. I have read a few posts relating the same thing as yours. Mine has very little movement BUT the girl leans against it and has been known to nap while riding. She would not be a happy camper if the box let go. Steve
Steve, I'm concerned about the same thing. I have put many miles on the bike with the top box fully loaded with camping gear with no issues. I do not however ride locally with the box installed unless I have a passenger. Probably 95% of my riding is solo. It's only when one of my grandchildren is visiting that I have passenger and therefore install the top box. This experience has me very nervous about the situation.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 15th, 2016, 11:07 am

I'll bet your grandson didn't lean against the trunk for the rest of the ride.

'14 R1200RT
'12 Tiger 800

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in