• 1 Post By Sleuth
  • 1 Post By CWRoady
  • 2 Post By JimHayes
  • 1 Post By ashio89
  • 3 Post By gunny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 6:19 am Thread Starter

Real names

Why is it that so many members of this forum (and other forums too) do not put their real name in their biography? It's hard to be "friends" with someone when you don't even know there name. I have my real name on several forums (it's even my forum name) and have never had a problem.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Patric and saddleman like this.

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 7:09 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Real names

Like My GOOD Friend Al ,I too have my name on this a many other forums. I've done this for over 10 years with zero to very little trouble with anyone "finding" me for evil purpose. I'm not a paranoid type of person... What, Who said that ?!?! Are you following me ?!!? What are you doing ??!!? Sorry my evil twin took over for a moment.

At the very least put your first name in your signature so when you post something we know what to call you when we respond besides "Hey Dumb Ass".
As far as my screen goes about ten years ago my wife & I thought about opening a Bed & Breakfast and we were going to call it "The Kat Nap Inn". I registered that domain name & started using it and most of my online friends know it so I keep using it.
Patric likes this.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 8:13 am

Garage

I've been "online" since the days of dial-up BBS systems and part of the fun was picking a nickname. I've made many friends over the past few decades that have remained friends even in the real world. I never recall anybody having a hard time becoming a friend because I didn't give them my real name. On the contrary, people I have known for decades starting back in the BBS days still refer to me as a long-time BBS handle in the real world.

Not to mention, after spending some time in the motorcycle club world it was common for me to meet and build relationships with people on a nickname basis, often times not learning real names for some times or in some cases there are people in my memories that I only recall by nickname and I'm not sure I ever knew their "real" name.

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet"
ibbones likes this.

2007 R1200GS Adventure
No longer "OrovilleTim" as I defected from California

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 8:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

I guess that there are many people who are somewhat paranoid about disclosing anything about themselves, and then there are those who likes being offensive in their posts, and therefore don't want to disclose their real identity!

I have been online for a very long time, starting in the very early '80s with the "electronic BBS" (FIDO, RHYME), back when 1200 baud modem was the leading edge, and I had never hid my real identity!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 16 Old Mar 25th, 2016, 11:17 am

Garage

If it means anything, my friends all call me Whiskey. IMHO real names don't really matter. I come from the old school internet days too where an online identity was always separate from a real identity. Facebook requires real names, hasn't really changed anything.

2000 R1100RT
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2016, 6:27 am

I belong to another motorcycle forum where I attend quite a few events, so I know lots of members by both their real names and screen names. When we meet with other members the guys seem to refer to other members 50% of the time by their screen names while the wives use the real names 100% of the time. In my case my screen name is my real name.

Gerhard
katnapinn likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 Old Mar 26th, 2016, 3:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Some of our forum participants like to use a "handle" (like mine - JNW003, my first car's license plate number on a '53 MGTD) instead of their real name; some use real names; and others use a handle and include their real names in the signature area.

After attending my first CCR ('14 in Chattanooga), I had made a recommendation that CCR name tags include both the attendee's real name and their BMW LT forum handles, if different than their real name. Although this wasn't acted upon, this change would have enabled me as a new CCR attendee, to feel more at home instead of in a room full of strangers. Even after my second CCR, I found that I missed opportunities while at Coeur d'Alene to associate name/handles/faces.
ibbones likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #8 of 16 Old Mar 27th, 2016, 1:29 pm

Garage

While I do not have anything to hide, (ok perhaps an expanding waistline!) I prefer not to use my real name in forums.

Also my handle / "Biker Name" was given to me by some friends, and I quite like it. Once, a long time ago, my friends were talking about giving me a "Biker Name" after they had come up with a few of the normal variations on my name, I said if they came up with something new - I would use it. They came up with "Sleuth" as it was new I have used it (or a slight variant) thereafter.

If I get to know somebody, or meet face to face, then I will share my real life name.

Until then Sleuth it is and will be!

Best regards
Sleuth
Whiskey likes this.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #9 of 16 Old Apr 1st, 2016, 11:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
my first car's license plate number on a '53 MGTD
Way off topic, but this immediately sent me down memory lane to when I was in single digits .. my Dad had an MGTD and a MGTF as daily drivers (not at the same time) ... I have always had an affinity for those beautiful cars ����

Back on topic, I have never hid my name either, but have had people assume my last name was a handle of some sort and question what it means ��
JNW003 likes this.

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90
SCBMWRC / MOA / Airhead Beemer Club

Last edited by CWRoady; Apr 1st, 2016 at 11:40 am. Reason: Typo
post #10 of 16 Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 8:24 am

I never thought to use anything other then my real name. Never had any trouble either.
Patric and JNW003 like this.
post #11 of 16 Old Apr 8th, 2016, 9:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
Like My GOOD Friend Al ,I too have my name on this a many other forums. I've done this for over 10 years with zero to very little trouble with anyone "finding" me for evil purpose. I'm not a paranoid type of person... What, Who said that ?!?! Are you following me ?!!? What are you doing ??!!? Sorry my evil twin took over for a moment.

At the very least put your first name in your signature so when you post something we know what to call you when we respond besides "Hey Dumb Ass".
As far as my screen goes about ten years ago my wife & I thought about opening a Bed & Breakfast and we were going to call it "The Kat Nap Inn". I registered that domain name & started using it and most of my online friends know it so I keep using it.
I like my forum name! Those who have met me know my real name, it's also in my profile. I've had numerous, silly nicknames over the years. what about my roman name "Bennyous Bobbyous?" Or my Woodstock era name "A C big daddy rabbit uncle magnificent Benji hangin' tough in the morning sun?" Reminds me of the "Ya doesn't have to call me Johnson," routine. And here I thought Stevie calling me "Hey Dumb Ass" was a term of endearment. Either way, if you want me to call you Arfaxad, I may shorten it to Arf, Just don't be offended if I don't use your real name.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 1st, 2017, 4:44 am
Banned

Mostly we are known by our nick name.
Sleuth likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Kevin Tobin here =-)
post #14 of 16 Old Oct 21st, 2017, 3:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This string inspired me to figure out how to update my signature. It took me a bit as I did not know the signature was where to add information. First (real ) name and motorcycles owned. So this is my story and I am sticking with it .

McWideglide

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
post #15 of 16 Old Oct 21st, 2017, 4:00 pm

Well......... Gunny is not my real name but everyone who knows me calls me that. Only at the doctor's office is where thet=y use my real name. My mother doesn't even use my name as it appears on my birth certificate.

Long story short. I spent 22 years in the Marine Corps and retired with the rank of Gunnery Segeant, was one for about 8 years.
Lynn_Keen, Patric and saddleman like this.

B D R
post #16 of 16 Old Oct 27th, 2017, 8:38 am

My name is Kishen Versteijnen and I am from Amsterdam :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in