4Likes
  • 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 2 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 12:15 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
"oiling" HD throttle cables

Odd query, but one of you guys will surely have an opinion...

One of my work colleagues, who has a Hardly Able-son, just asked me what kind of oil or lubricant to use inside the throttle & clutch cables and what method do I use, cause he's about to install new ones.

I politely informed him I ride BMW's, we don't "oil" or "lubricate" our cables, as that would screw them up, maybe not initially, but certainly as dust and grime builds up and the lubricant gets clogged....

Apparently its discussed a lot on the HD forums, and there's lots of "magic" tools and lubricants for sale to do this seemingly necessary task....

I suggested he contact the cables supplier for his advice... as it wasn't something I had any knowledge of.
Since a few of you guys are previous and/or concurrent HD owners... are they blowing smoke out of his arse, or is there some truth to this myth?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 8:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: "oiling" HD throttle cables

I used to "oil" the cables on my GT-750 regularly. But the BMW cables have teflon coating on the inner cable and oil will mess that up.

My Suzuki did not have that coating and needed regular oiling. I used a thing that looked like a syringe only instead of a needle fitting on the end it was open. There were split rubber bushes that would go over the outer cable sheath and then insert into the syringe. A hose clamp would sort of seal the damn thing and then you could squirt the oil into the cable. I think I got it from a J. C. Whitney's Catalog.

But this is what most people are using today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable oiler.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	92657  
Patric and cws like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #3 of 3 Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 11:06 pm

Re: "oiling" HD throttle cables

Jez is correct. BMW cables are teflon lined and no lube is recommended. Cable change out on some sort of basis is the way to go. Yes, I use to ride HD and yes, lube was a regular duty.
Patric and cws like this.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in