How to Repel Mice? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JNW003

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2015, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

How to Repel Mice?

After a search on this site, I see 2 suggestions for repelling mice/rats/varmints - to keep them out of our bikes:

1. mothballs
2. dryer sheets (Bounce, Downy, etc.)

and of course some ideas on trapping them.

Any solid evidence regarding if these work, or other suggestions? I need something that will repel mice AND chipmunks; chipmunks are thick in my neighborhood, and judging from the debris inside the Cycle Shell I think it's chipmunks, not mice. I thought my Cycle Shell would keep them out, but that's not working. Found a big nest behind the passenger seat / beneath the plastic base beneath the top case, with potential wiring damage in that area.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Sep 27th, 2015, 10:30 pm

Re: How to Repel Mice?

In my neighborhood we have a small herd of feral cats and I have not had a single issue with rodents with the vehicles in my garage, one of them being a classic Porsche convertible with only a partial top and a missing window.
Let me tell you that these cats are well fed as their shiny coats prove.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #3 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2015, 9:41 am

Moth balls may work if you keep replacing them. I know they didn't work for me when I tried them.

Like Zippy says, cats work but then you have to deal with the cat crap in the sand box

Farmed for a lot of years and we had cats but never had an issue of mice getting into our equipment and eating wires, seats etc. Cats had the run of the place same as the mice. No longer farm or have cats but sure do have mice and decon doesn't do near the job that cats do.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

post #4 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2015, 9:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Howard,
After my LT was used as the "wrench bike" at CCR Osage Beach '07 and was found to have a stash of birdseed in the air box, I started to used multiple mouse traps baited with peanut butter around the bike. Nabbed a few the first winter including a chipmunk. Fewer fatalities the next year and none since then.

I also used small foil trays of moth balls. Also, stuffed the air intake with a plastic baggie. Left a post-it note on the speedo to remind me to remove it for the next riding season.

With that combination there was never a trace of mice or chippies after the first two years. Often you will find their waste products nearby if they are active.

Once stayed at a country B&B and the owner complained that he left his Accord in a small barn and had substantial electrical damage due to mice.

Hope you can take preemptive action!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2015, 10:40 am

If you have power available I find the electronic rodent repellents work pretty well. We use them in our summer house.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #6 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2015, 12:35 pm

You did mean to say rappel mice, didn't you? http://alchessmist-images.blogspot.c...appelling.html

2002 Toscana Green K1200LTE
1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
1982 Yamaha Special II 650 (sold)
1968 Triumph Trophy 500 (sold)
1968 Puch 125 (passed along)
post #7 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2015, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for (some of the!) replies, guys. They range from the humorous (rappelling mice) to the serious. I was looking for some hard evidence; you know, a research paper that says "yes, moth balls works", or "no moth balls don't work". Even the scientists disagree usually, but it would be nice to know what works.

Cats aren't an option; I don't have any cats here at Fort Knox. There are a couple that roam the neighborhood but they are taken in at night, I assume, because they sure aren't doing their job! The chipmunks are outnumbered only by the mosquitos, and the mice? I haven't see any, but either a mouse or a chipmunk made the nest I cleaned out of the LT today.

In another thread I read about a guy who made an aluminum wall around his bike. The aluminum, being slippery, kept the mice off his bike. I could do that but the bike is parked outside on old, uneven, low-quality asphalt. The varmints could easily squeeze beneath a gap in the bottom of the wall.

So, after cleaning up the mess I stuffed dryer sheets all over the place -- beneath the top case, beneath the passenger seat, etc. Probably used a dozen or more. Cheap solution, if it works. I'll get some mothballs next time I go grocery shopping and then try that, too. In the meantime you can sure smell the dryer sheets when you're within a few feet of the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1588.JPG
Views:	556
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	90585  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Sep 28th, 2015 at 6:35 pm.
post #8 of 13 Old Sep 28th, 2015, 9:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Last count, my sister had 17 cats and would probably be willing to send you a dozen....
Patric likes this.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #9 of 13 Old Sep 30th, 2015, 6:36 am

I live out in the country and the shed that I keep the bike in can't keep mice out. I spend $20 every fall on poison cubes that have the poison in a wax cube, the advantage over the trays is that the mice don't carry it away, isn't negatively affected when it gets wet and you can monitor the consumption. It has kept the mouse population under control and I have found no evidence of mice trying to make a home in my bike since using these after I found tail end of my ST1100 filled with shredded paper about 15 years or so ago.

This isn't the brand that is available locally but the idea is the same.

Gerhard

post #10 of 13 Old Sep 30th, 2015, 11:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

One of many on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Killer-...ice+block+bait

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #11 of 13 Old Sep 30th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillmoorPete View Post
LOL ... that is fantastic.
post #12 of 13 Old Sep 30th, 2015, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I'll get one of the weather-proof bait products and put some around the cover. In the meantime I threw a packet of mothballs inside the cover. Maybe the combination of chemicals from the dryer sheets and the mothballs will spontaneously combust, burn the bike to a total loss, and then my attention will understandably turn to replacing it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #13 of 13 Old Sep 30th, 2015, 7:36 pm

Several years ago, I was driving home from a trip when my Audi overheated. Rats or mice had chewed partially thru a secondary coolant hose and it burst. Bad news was the the head warped. Repair bill was over 4 thousand. Good news was that my insurance covered it all. The Audi was kept outside as the garage was full of my car and bike. I live in a community surrounded by lagoons hence rodents. I did a Lot of research and found a solution to this, that rodents like to chew wiring and rubber for nests. Cayenne power! I sprinkled cayenne power around the engine compartment of the Audi and now my cars engine as she has the new car and mine is now outside. So, in the last 4 years no issues and I do check for signs very often.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in