ANYONE USING VoIP TELEPHONE SERVICE? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jun 29th, 2015, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

ANYONE USING VoIP TELEPHONE SERVICE?

I am working on reducing my budget for in home communication expenses. Between TV, Internet, and telephone I am spending way too much. My current target is telephone service. Cell phone coverage, even with an in house network extender is marginal at my home location and so a land line, or equivalent, is necessary. I have been toying with dumping the local telephone company and installing a VoIP system but am skeptical of the quality and reliability. So, the question to all the experts out there. Is VoIP a viable alternative? Specifically looking at purchasing Telo Ooma Air Phone system. Anyone have experience with that or any other system?

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jun 29th, 2015, 1:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: ANYONE USING VoIP TELEPHONE SERVICE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
I am working on reducing my budget for in home communication expenses. Between TV, Internet, and telephone I am spending way too much. My current target is telephone service. Cell phone coverage, even with an in house network extender is marginal at my home location and so a land line, or equivalent, is necessary. I have been toying with dumping the local telephone company and installing a VoIP system but am skeptical of the quality and reliability. So, the question to all the experts out there. Is VoIP a viable alternative? Specifically looking at purchasing Telo Ooma Air Phone system. Anyone have experience with that or any other system?
I am using just my cell phone right now, since I really don't use telephones that much. However, a few years back, I had used Vonage for many, many years, and had found them to be quite excellent. Of course, the reliability of VoIP services is only as reliable as your internet connection. If you are confident in your internet provider, then I can recommend Vonage very highly.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #3 of 15 Old Jun 29th, 2015, 2:07 pm

I've had MagicJack for a few years. Still have the device that connects directly to the home router, but with the smartphone app, I really don't need the home device anymore. As stated, VoIP quality is going to be dependent on your ISP, whether that be at home or on the cell phone's data network, so "your mileage may vary" greatly.

At my house, we have Comcast. The plan we have is a tier slower than the lowest bandwidth plan they advertise (we are pretty cheap). We don't use the MagicJack much, but it's mostly good. I attribute bad days to the slow bandwidth plan we have.

On my phone, I still have the iPhone 4S on Verizon, which is only 3G, so not ideal for using a VoIP app.

2010 BMW R1200RT
2008 Suzuki vStrom DL650 (sold)

post #4 of 15 Old Jun 29th, 2015, 3:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Have a Magic Jack also and use it to find my cell when I can't remember where I put it down!

I use it at home to cut down on cell minutes. Even though it's a company iPhone (ATT) I opted for a 450min/mo plan and usually have leftover minutes.

The MJ also plugs into the laptop and have used it when traveling in Europe to call back home for free through a WiFi network in a hotel or a hotspot. Works well.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 15 Old Jun 29th, 2015, 4:34 pm

I have used Ooma for several years and love the service. Once you purchase the device, the only additional charges are mandated federal taxes for all the various things that the Feds can think to tax. I did add on the premium service. Advantages to me: can port your original landline, can forward voice mail to you call phone, if you have a Google voice number, you call forward all those calls to Ooma. With an ad on Ooma portable phone, you can set to do not disturb, and send all calls to Vmail. And finally, the best for me, you can easily block all spam calls, Robo calls, or just undesirable callers. It is very versatile.
I do use my cell phone for outgoing calls, while all incoming calls usually end up on Ooma Vmail.
Did I mention that with the premium service you get a second number which can be used as a fax line if you need one.

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
post #6 of 15 Old Jun 29th, 2015, 5:29 pm

Been using Vonage for 10 + years. Can block spam/ junk callers. Has an app to tie your home line to cell so you answer anywhere and no one knows your not home without having to forward. Logs all in / out bound calls.

2002 K1200LTC Pacific -Blue moon Beemer

2007 VFR800 RWB Interceptor -current
84 Yamaha Venture Royal -departed
84 Honda 750 Interceptor- departed
76 Honda 750 four-departed
65 Pan head (gone)
72 Rickman 6 day Enduro

Too many farkles to list, if you can thinkem they maybe on it

BMWMOA # 189093
BMWBMW LOCAL CHAPTER Member
BMW MARS CHAPTER Member
BMWRA # 41568
post #7 of 15 Old Jun 29th, 2015, 10:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdruymd View Post
I have used Ooma for several years and love the service. Once you purchase the device, the only additional charges are mandated federal taxes for all the various things that the Feds can think to tax. I did add on the premium service. Advantages to me: can port your original landline, can forward voice mail to you call phone, if you have a Google voice number, you call forward all those calls to Ooma. With an ad on Ooma portable phone, you can set to do not disturb, and send all calls to Vmail. And finally, the best for me, you can easily block all spam calls, Robo calls, or just undesirable callers. It is very versatile.
I do use my cell phone for outgoing calls, while all incoming calls usually end up on Ooma Vmail.
Did I mention that with the premium service you get a second number which can be used as a fax line if you need one.
I agree. Ooma is top rated in voice quality on Consumer Reports. I also use the premium service which gives me more options than I can use. Love the call blocking feature and the automatic blocking of robocallers available with the premium service. Plugged it into my home and it works with every extension plug in the house.

All twins:
2017 R1200GS low
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2012 Ducati Diavel
2014 R1200RT (gone)
2008 R1200GS (gone)
2007 SV650 Naked (gone)
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge (gone)
2006 Harley Ultra (gone)
1992 Harley Electra Glide Classic (gone)

post #8 of 15 Old Jun 30th, 2015, 7:07 am Thread Starter

Thank you all for your responses. Based on the positive feed back and what I had already researched I'll be making the move.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #9 of 15 Old Jun 30th, 2015, 7:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
Thank you all for your responses. Based on the positive feed back and what I had already researched I'll be making the move.
I've been doing this for a living... for a while...

Just make sure that your phone service CAN REACH 911. Some do, some don't.
For the ones that can reach 911, you MUST test calling 911 indicating from the get-go that is not an emergency, and you need to verify address. Some counties have a non-emergency number which is the same as 911 but they don't get mean when you say that is a non-emergency call

As many of you already know, the 911 implementation for VoIP services is called E-911. Basically voip providers that adhere to it have to provide their customer's information (name, address and some other stuff) in realtime to the 2 companies that run the system.

The phone service offered by the cable companies as well as Vonage have mandatory E911. Others like MagicJack are spotty at best.
Please check e911 ? Extra Charges from magicJack | magicJack Check

2009 R1200RT
Past Rides: 2003 K1200LT "Gertrude" (sold) / 2004 R1200CLC "Petunia" (sold) 2005 Kawi Concours (gone)

post #10 of 15 Old Jun 30th, 2015, 12:54 pm

Another good one to check out is NetTalk... FREE Home Phone Service Local and Long Distance Calls VoIP - netTALK

I only use the device when I travel overseas. I have an unlimited Sprint cell plan for the USA. I was one of the initial NetTalk subscribers who bought the device when they first started. The gimmick at the time was if you bought their first device (certainly a way to get venture capital), the unlimited USA call service was free for as long as you own it and it worked. So I still don't have to pay anything to use mine! I think their basic service is now about $39.95 a year...

1983 R100 Airhead & Velorex 562 Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (SOLD! ...just too darn tall for me!)
1999 R1100RT-P (SOLD!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (SOLD!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
post #11 of 15 Old Jun 30th, 2015, 3:15 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

I used Vonage for several years back when they first started. It worked well. I used it to make free international calls to Canada. I just use cell phones now.

At the time you could not make 911 calls until you set up you number with your address and had it registered... (no big deal)

Dump the land line get Vonage. Back in the day my alarm system needed a land line and the phone company wanted $9.95 per month and $12.00 in TAX A MONTH... for a stupid phone line that no one used...

Go cellular for 1/3 the price.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #12 of 15 Old Jun 30th, 2015, 7:48 pm

Good point on the alarm system. My home alarm did not work right with Ooma (I think it's VOIP it did not like). My alarm guy is great and we tried a lot of things, but ultimately put in a cell connection for the alarm. Raised my alarm monthly, but I still save more on the phone than the extra cost of the alarm's cell connection. I kind of like the alarm having a connection to the monitoring company that cannot be cut on the outside of the house.

All twins:
2017 R1200GS low
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2012 Ducati Diavel
2014 R1200RT (gone)
2008 R1200GS (gone)
2007 SV650 Naked (gone)
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge (gone)
2006 Harley Ultra (gone)
1992 Harley Electra Glide Classic (gone)

post #13 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 4:04 pm

If you're online enough to make it feasible, you can make all your calls through Google voice. I believe there's a way to link it up to a phone that only has internet browsing available too, but they might have closed that loophole. Still nice to make free calls and have no cell bill.
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 6:18 pm

Not quite what you are looking at, but we have had Brighthouse cable service for about 10 years and it uses VoIP for the phone at $10.00 a month. Can't tell the difference and it includes additional features that are nice.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #15 of 15 Old Aug 1st, 2017, 4:47 am
Banned

I used to but left.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in