Deer Whistles - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By ka5ysy
  • 3 Post By CRUSTYBEEMER

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jun 27th, 2015, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Deer Whistles

My wife and I just had a close call tonight with a deer on the big LT but it is still no match for a deer and so I thought it was time to ask if anybody has any thought on if deer whistles if it would work or not

Gary
2003 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jun 27th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Garage
Re: Deer Whistles

FWIW, I researched and wrote a college paper a few years back regarding deer whistles. The Reader's Digest answer is there's no conclusive data to prove deer whistles provide their intended benefit. There's a suggestion whistles do the opposite, attrack animals to the sound!
post #3 of 21 Old Jun 27th, 2015, 10:31 pm

Urban myth. Don't waste you money

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 R1100RT.

post #4 of 21 Old Jun 27th, 2015, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

Well looks like I WILL not waste my time and money on the whistles THANKS

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #5 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 5:05 am

a few years ago I lived north of Pittsburgh, Pa. and I had to travel 45 miles home at night every night from work through wooded areas and I ended up just leaving my music playing through the speakers. I just kept it where I normally do and I figured it would let any critter know there was something out there. In 15 years of riding I only had 2 encounters and one of those was from a deer running. Once a deer starts running pretty much nothing will distract him is what I was told by some hunter friends. Other one is when I came up on 3 of them just walking down the road. Saw them in plenty of time and just slowed down as I got closer to them. When they realized I was behind them they ran into the woods. For the first couple of years I had deer whistles then when I changed bikes I got one with the radio and just used it. Seemed to work for me just as well. Of course your mileage may vary. Good luck.
post #6 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 6:42 am

Re: Deer Whistles -- and Such

Kinda reminds me of Clarence R. He had something hanging on his office wall. It was a piece of half-inch smooth metal rod about three feet long. Had four short rods about three inches long welded to one end in the form of arrow barbs set 90 degrees apart, rather like a reef anchor if anyone --- well, never mind. About three feet of light chain was attached to the other end, with a four-inch metal ring attached to the other end of the chain. It was painted bright red. Just hanging there. After seeing it numerous times and not asking because I knew Clarence, I couldn't resist any more, and asked. Clarence got the biggest possum-eatin grin on his face I've ever seen, and drawled out, "Why, Bernard, that's a deer cincher." He waited. I knew I was had but I couldn't stop. "What's a deer chincher, Clarence?" "Well, you carry one a them when you go in the woods and you don't have your gun. If you run up on a deer, you shove it up his ass and drop that there ring over a fence post, and it's a cinch you can kill the deer when you come back with your gun."

A few days later I found some deer cinchers in the old timey hardware store right next to the deer whistles.
post #7 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 7:28 am

Deer whistles work as well as the traffic light magnets. Both work well for sucking money out of wallets.
tvguy, johnbaker15 and Whiskey like this.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #8 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 7:59 am

Oops. Gotta disagree about traffic light magnets. Had a V-Strom 1000 (or was it the V-Star that preceded it?) that would not trip the light next door to my house. This was an every-time phenomenon. Simply would not. Put on a magnet and had no further trouble. All the other bikes I've brought home trip the same trap so experience is limited, but positive.
post #9 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 2:08 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

FWIW (and I read all the articles too) I have an electronic unit that I got at the RA rally in 2007 for really cheap. I have always turned it on in areas where I might see critters. Every deer I have approached has always alerted and looked up a my bike (as quiet as the LT is). Don't know if it was the whistle or not but I still turn it on just the same.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
FWIW (and I read all the articles too) I have an electronic unit that I got at the RA rally in 2007 for really cheap. I have always turned it on in areas where I might see critters. Every deer I have approached has always alerted and looked up a my bike (as quiet as the LT is). Don't know if it was the whistle or not but I still turn it on just the same.
John what name brand electonic one did you get I think I might still try something after coming so close to looking at one straight in the eyes last night

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #11 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 8:55 pm

A good horn would be the best investment, like a Stebel Nautilus.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #12 of 21 Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 3:52 pm

I lived up in the mountains a few years back and there lots of deer, had a couple close calls, etc. I decided it was time to get the whistles (car, not bike). Anyway, I'm driving home late at night and there are literally two deer in my lane just galloping away. Not only did the whistles not work, I had changes lanes to pass them as though they were a car.

I'm a little skeptical after that.
post #13 of 21 Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 10:02 pm

Everything I've ever read from ancedotal experience of others, nothing works, including deer whistles, as you experienced.

It's a shame nothing exists. I saw one study that said 1.2m vehicle acidents occurred in the US between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012, resulting in 200 deaths and a lot of money lost ($2 billion estimate, but that seems high to me).

Now think world-wiide: if anyone could create something, they would own the world.

2000 BMW K1200 LT (Alice)
Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #14 of 21 Old Dec 20th, 2015, 8:14 am

Okay, can't resist -- true story. 1956, family out from Sun Valley, Idaho in the brand new very white Mercury Turnpike Cruiser station wagon (anybody remember them? fake nacelles at the top of the window posts with little horizontal fake antennae, etc.?) Dad's driving, grandmother is riding shotgun, mother and kids all over the other seats. Crest the hill of a big 4-lane; herd of cows on the road. Dad jams on the brakes. The nose dips way down; all the cow scatter except one that runs straight away from the car. As cow picks up speed and car looses it, hood of car slides gently up under the back legs; cow is now sitting on the hood and running like mad (for a cow) on front legs. Grandmother is presented with cow's ass through the windshield -- when the cow turns loose in a huge way, then slides off the hood as the car stops and hightails it off the road. To alleviate the situation dad turns on the windshield wipers/washers. Now the entire windshield is streaked evenly with brown. Grandmother is not amused. Dad is embarrassing sailors. Mother is green. Children (all boys) are rolling in hysterics on the floorboards and the storage deck.
post #15 of 21 Old Dec 20th, 2015, 8:38 am

Garage

Noises don't work. Deer are like squirrels, they aren't smart enough to run away from a vehicle. Every deer that ever got hit by a car probably saw the car, so warning them obviously doesn't help. I'd guess that many times it's intentional when they run in front of you. Most likely the doe is on one side of the road and her fawn is on the other when you come up. She runs across the road trying to get to her fawn before the predator gets there.

There are only two things that work. Either stay off of the roads when deer are likely to be out, dusk mostly, or buy yourself some good lights, aim them towards the sides of the roads, keep your eyes open and slow down so you have time to react.

2000 R1100RT
post #16 of 21 Old Jan 21st, 2016, 11:09 pm

I think they must work! Several friends of mine that ride Harleys have them and I have yet to see any deer in the local coffee shop parking lot!
SteveMcg, gdenton and Whiskey like this.
post #17 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSTYBEEMER View Post
I think they must work! Several friends of mine that ride Harleys have them and I have yet to see any deer in the local coffee shop parking lot!
deer like humans hear Harley's coming a half mile away. That is why you have not heard of a Harley hitting a deer. I did have a friend cleaned off a honda 750 4 by a deer back in the 70s. Deer died at scene, buddy spent weeks in the hospital. Honda, toast.

Rick Smith
Hagerstown, MD
post #18 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 10:31 pm

Have had several Harley owning friends of mine hit deer and to be fair so have several of my metric biker owning friends! Load pipes did not seem to make a difference! Very unpredictable creatures those deer! You just need to slow down and be more vigilant around sunrise and sunset!
post #19 of 21 Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 11:29 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Or you could always just go this route.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #20 of 21 Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 3:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

The closest encounter I've had with a deer was last summer after leaving CCR, heading north around 11 am on a rainy, drizzly day in British Columbia. I was concentrating on the road and the rain, and all of a sudden, one of the biggest deer I had ever seen (maybe because I was so close) jumped out in front of me from the right. Fortunately, I hit the binders and missed his hind feet by inches! Although I am on heightened alert when I see deer crossing signs, it seems I always see them in areas without posted signs (maybe they can't read?). Other than vigilance, maybe a deer whistle, and hunting season, I don't know of anything else that would minimize deer encounters.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #21 of 21 Old Jul 28th, 2018, 12:32 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
My wife and I just had a close call tonight with a deer on the big LT but it is still no match for a deer and so I thought it was time to ask if anybody has any thought on if deer whistles if it would work or not
No, they don't work, but what does is a Quad .50 mounted on the bike. Some drawbacks include massive load weight, bike instability when firing, and lots of unwanted attention from LEOs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in