6Likes
  • 3 Post By PMitchell
  • 1 Post By TwoWheels
  • 1 Post By Travman
  • 1 Post By PMitchell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Mar 7th, 2015, 5:27 pm Thread Starter

Lane Splitting article in WSJ

Page A3 of this weekend's Wall Street Journal, interesting article on lane splitting.
Initiatives in Washington, Oregon, Texas, and Tennessee to legalize lane splitting similar to California.

I'm a country boy and don't care. And, lane splitting looks scary to me.
But I guess if I were stuck with a city commute, I'd like to be able to legally lane split.

Data is scant, but accident statistics so far suggest lane splitting isn't as dangerous as it might appear.

Car drivers generally don't like it, maybe because they don't like getting passed while they are stuck in traffic.

If you are interested in lane splitting, you might find this weekend's WSJ interesting. Half of the third page in the front section given to the article.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Mar 7th, 2015, 9:32 pm

Garage
Re: Lane Splitting article in WSJ

Curtis
Most statistics, but also common sense says it's safer than being rear ended.
And they do rear end.
And a bike with a clutch hand cannot roll ahead 3 feet at a time for hours.
Lane splitting is not dangerous or scary where the lane space is wide. Where it gets hokey is where people drive upon the line, half in and half out of their lane. Or where there are super narrow lanes with no space between.
Here, so many people are used to it, and understand it's legal, and finally realize if bikes can go ahead ... let them. Fewer people sitting out there in traffic.
Here, they don't try to interfere with it. Mostly.
But sure, you can get banged at any time. Like somewhere out there in the middle of nowhere.
dc

2008 R1200 RT
post #3 of 16 Old Mar 7th, 2015, 11:36 pm

Garage

Tried it and liked it a bit
Was headed south on the 15 I believe to San Diego. It was not even on my mind being new to the area a first-timer. Anyway an entrance ramp appeared on my right shoulder and in the right lane looking for my exit. Well here comes a ton of traffic down the ramp and just what you spoke about clutch move 2 or 3 car lengths. Gladly a couple sport bikes just entered. Not only did they merge but they continued filter their way to the front of everything. In my rear view I saw the same thing a much bigger bike Honda so after he passed me it clicked that I had read a thread on this site. Tentatively I tried to keep up but was no match. So I settled back into my old habits slow and steady.
I guess much of this depends on the general motorist knowledge and awareness of motorcycles. Also temprement has a lot to do with safety. Some drivers purposely hog the lane so as to mess the rider up. I don't know how long it has been like that in CA but it will take some getting used to on both sides of that line. Let's see how the implimentation goes in those new states.
ride safe

post #4 of 16 Old Mar 8th, 2015, 1:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This is the article referenced. I have an on-line subscription to the WSJ.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motorcycle Lane-Splitting Could Move Beyond California - WSJ.pdf (1.37 MB, 128 views)
DanDiver, hschisler and ToBeFree like this.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 16 Old Mar 9th, 2015, 7:49 am

I'd love to see this in FLATlorda on a hot day when I'm stuck in traffic. Used correctly it seems to be safe and effective.

Not used correctly, like a lot of things, it causes accidents and really angers other motorists.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 16 Old Mar 9th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Thank you for sharing and posting.

I think the same of Lane Splitting as I do all driving/riding... MOST make wise decision and a FEW really mess it up for all of us by making poor decisions like following too closely, passing on a double yellow or Lane Splitting to fast, etc.

I heard a comedian say that anyone driving slower than you is an IDIOT and anyone driving faster is a MANIAC. Pretty well sums it up. haha.
DanDiver likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old Mar 10th, 2015, 12:48 pm

In CA, and I see it everyday when commuting, cars and trucks move aside when possible to let bikes go through, and only very seldom someone will purposely try to block you. While traveling through Texas I found myself behind an 18 wheeler that was weaving in order to keep me from getting in front of him near a construction where 2 lanes were turning into 1. I was disappointed as I trust truck drivers a lot more, because they are professional drivers, than soccer moms in SUVs while on the phone.
There will obviously need to be an education program to be put in place for any new state that would allow lane splitting. Also strong laws protecting riders, such as "kill a rider, got to jail"...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 16 Old Mar 10th, 2015, 2:44 pm

I am all for it and hope it passes here in Texas. You have to be careful no matter what the situation. Just cause the law is on your side doesn't make it the safest way to do anything. If I see an eighteen wheeler rolling through a red light when I have the green... I will give him the right of way. Just saying.

Ken
El Paso Texas

2007 K1200LT
post #9 of 16 Old Mar 10th, 2015, 3:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
While traveling through Texas I found myself behind an 18 wheeler that was weaving in order to keep me from getting in front of him near a construction where 2 lanes were turning into 1.
In Washington State, they are trying to educate folks that it is actually faster if everyone merges together at the last moment. I have seen that block technique and it would get a ticket around here.

Lots of chatter about lane splitting with all the legislation going. Some articles from California talk about a CA. DOT safety report on it just last year and saying no problem and overall California has fewer cycle accidents than the National average.

Washington's legislation was handed a major re -write last week. No lane splitting but you can ride to the left of cars that are in the left lane (#1 lane) of two lanes. Makes me think they mean the shoulder on the other side of the fog line. All very unclear right now. Also no faster than 25 mph. It has to go back to the House from the Senate for a re write so both bills match. And there are no words saying you can do it on Interstate Hwys. where there is the most trouble, just a list of state hwys. . One good thing about the WA. legislation is that it is an offense to block a motorcyclist while doing this.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #10 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2015, 12:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
While traveling through Texas I found myself behind an 18 wheeler that was weaving in order to keep me from getting in front of him near a construction where 2 lanes were turning into 1.
It could be that he was looking out for you and didn't want you to end up in his blind spot at a time where he would need all his concentration on the road ahead. As a bus driver I sometimes have to block someone until I know it will be safe to pass safely.

Go down to your local bus depot and ask to sit in a bus to see the blind spots. you'll be amazed at what they consider a safe vehicle.

post #11 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2015, 7:40 am

Those lanes must be wider out in Cali, I couldn't imagine trying to jam my RT between cars here in Metro NY area!

I do think allowing bikes to ride the breakdown lanes at a cautious speed could work. It would be easy enough to slide over to allow Emergency Vehicles to pass by if needed.

Ride Safe,

Bob

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT
post #12 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2015, 7:56 am
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Problem with the breakdown lane is there is a lot of crap laying in there. I remember years ago being directed over into the far left by a CHP officer working an accident. Ended up with a flat tire from some little piece of metal. Around here they don't spend a lot of time sweeping up that lane.

Hope you guys in all the other states get to lane split soon. Its a great advantage to riding.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #13 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2015, 10:12 am
IBR# 366

Garage

When the majority of drivers realize that every motorcycle splitting lanes means one less car sitting in front of them, and less traffic overall, then it'll pass nationwide.

As long as the majority of drivers incorrectly assume that it's unsafe and unfair, then it'll stay the way it is.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2015, 5:33 pm

I've been on vacation and driving in Europe. Lane splitting and queuing at lights seems to work great here. It does not impede my travels in the car and in fact moves me along quicker since all the bikes get up front and out of the way at lights. I would love to be able to do this at home.

I believe that the U.S. is the only or one of the very few Country's that does not allow lane splitting in the world. I think it's because the driving skill level in the U.S., sucks!
zippy_gg likes this.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 11th, 2015, 9:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travman View Post
I've been on vacation and driving in Europe. Lane splitting and queuing at lights seems to work great here. It does not impede my travels in the car and in fact moves me along quicker since all the bikes get up front and out of the way at lights. I would love to be able to do this at home.

I believe that the U.S. is the only or one of the very few Country's that does not allow lane splitting in the world. I think it's because the driving skill level in the U.S., sucks!
+1
I've done a considerable amount of riding in Europe and I remember specifically in Barcelona there is a section on major city boulevards where the autos are restricted from pulling up to the crosswalks. There is a scooter and bike section 5 yards or so before the crosswalk. The only way to get there is to lane split.

It is also common to split in moving traffic with many cars giving right-of-way to bikes. Euro drivers are more polite and more technically competent than those here in North America.
zippy_gg likes this.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #16 of 16 Old Mar 16th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
In Washington State, they are trying to educate folks that it is actually faster if everyone merges together at the last moment. I have seen that block technique and it would get a ticket around here.
Faster for who Beech? I see truckers in Texas doing it often, and it has to do with impatient people waiting til the last second to merge, as you allude to. Everyone else already merged keeps getting pushed further back/delayed.
That being said, motorcycles are so much smaller, so an exception should be made. I've split lanes often in Texas, even yesterday on I35 and I45 where road construction/repair seems to be sombody's life work. Took a trip to Kileen from Dallas down I35 and decided to take another route back due to the traffic. Went Lord knows how many miles out of my way only to get on I45 in stop and go traffic on north bound side of interstate and service road. Working the clutch in and out for 15 to 20 minutes plus weaving back and forth like the race cars do to keep tires warm, I was wondering how long it would last, all while keeping an eye on temperature gauge creeping up. Wife got vocal about lane splitting then, after I had done it several times on way down.
I prefer to do it while traffic is moving as opposed to sitting still, when there's more potential of some a-hole opening their door just prior to me trying to pass.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in