Homesick - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Feb 18th, 2015, 7:04 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Homesick

When I was much younger, I would occasionally get homesick when away from home for extended periods. Since I started working I have been fortunate to have traveled the world and have loved the experience (although airports and hotels are not as glamorous as some might think).

Now I find myself yearning for home once more. I am 6000 miles away and with the prospect of a long work project ahead of me, I am sad :-(

Back in California where the weather is perfect for motorcycling almost every day of the year, my 2014 RTW stands cold and un-ridden. It's pretty blue paint is still shining, the tires have only 6000 miles on them and the oil sits coldly in the sump. I had to visit the local BMW dealership near Birmingham, England to help with my withdrawal symptoms.

I feel for those of you looking out your windows at many inches or feet of snow. I share that pain but for a different reason.

I don't need any other incentive to get this project completed ahead of schedule!

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Feb 18th, 2015, 8:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: Homesick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieduffield View Post
When I was much younger, I would occasionally get homesick when away from home for extended periods. Since I started working I have been fortunate to have traveled the world and have loved the experience (although airports and hotels are not as glamorous as some might think).

Now I find myself yearning for home once more. I am 6000 miles away and with the prospect of a long work project ahead of me, I am sad :-(
Ian
I suffer from a mild form of agoraphobia. That is the disorder that, in severe forms, causes people to not leave their houses or, worse, not leave their bedrooms. In my case, when I am away hundreds or thousands of miles from home I have a strong desire to get home, especially if my wife is not with me. I only had a panic attack once. That was on a group canoe trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in northern Minnesota. In a group situation one is not entirely in control of your ability to go home and that can cause panic. Sometimes I feel anxiety starting to raise its ugly head, but I have been able to hold it in check. Especially if I am in control of when and how I get home.

I traveled to England once years ago on a group tour. It was a wonderful trip, but on the way home the excessively cramped chartered flight was badly delayed in landing and then stranded on the tarmac for hours after landing. That may have been the start of my particular problem. Would I ever go on a group tour again or cruise ship? No way. Similarly, I have not flown commercially for years. Its not the cattle-call atmosphere, fear of flying (I am a pilot), or the cramped seating, it is the lack of control. I prefer to ride my own motorcycle, drive my own car, or fly my own plane so I can control when and where I go.

My problem may not be yours, Ian. But your story rang my bell.

Jeff Dean
Tucson, Arizona, & Madison, Wisconsin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founder, Madison (Wisconsin) BMW Club, #1 (1968)
Co-founder, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, #113 (1972)
Co-founder, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, #2 (1972)
Co-founder, Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, #1 (1979)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Chief Instructor (1994)
Friend of the Marque, BMW Clubs International Council (1999)
Prof. Gerhard Knöchlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
R1200RT • R1250RT • 1967 R60/2

Last edited by jeffdean; Feb 18th, 2015 at 9:24 am.
post #3 of 5 Old Feb 18th, 2015, 10:50 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Jeff, you hit the nail on the head... "Lack of Control"
For me it the lack of others not getting the job done correctly, when you could have done it yourself in half the time. Its hard to explain, like having red tape on every project.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Feb 18th, 2015, 12:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdean View Post
I suffer from a mild form of agoraphobia. That is the disorder that, in severe forms, causes people to not leave their houses or, worse, not leave their bedrooms. In my case, when I am away hundreds or thousands of miles from home I have a strong desire to get home, especially if my wife is not with me. I only had a panic attack once. That was on a group canoe trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in northern Minnesota. In a group situation one is not entirely in control of your ability to go home and that can cause panic. Sometimes I feel anxiety starting to raise its ugly head, but I have been able to hold it in check. Especially if I am in control of when and how I get home.

I traveled to England once years ago on a group tour. It was a wonderful trip, but on the way home the excessively cramped chartered flight was badly delayed in landing and then stranded on the tarmac for hours after landing. That may have been the start of my particular problem. Would I ever go on a group tour again or cruise ship? No way. Similarly, I have not flown commercially for years. Its not the cattle-call atmosphere, fear of flying (I am a pilot), or the cramped seating, it is the lack of control. I prefer to ride my own motorcycle, drive my own car, or fly my own plane so I can control when and where I go.

My problem may not be yours, Ian. But your story rang my bell.
I am the same way about travel. I'd rather take myself there. My fear is heights though. I get wigged out by roads with drop offs and such. It's not a good feeling. Funny thing is I didn't have it bad when I was younger, but it's gotten a little worse with age.

As far as home goes, the only time I got real homesick is when I moved to Iowa from NY and my family was still in NY for a month before they moved. I remember watching George Carlin when I was living in temp housing as he had a HBO special. It made me feel at home seeing another NYer on the tube. After moving a second time, now to AZ, I don't care so much anymore. When I go back to NY, it's not the same as it used to be.

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #5 of 5 Old Feb 18th, 2015, 5:04 pm

While you're over in England check out the guys on R1200RT.com

They're based over there and you might find some guys to share a Pint and kick tires with. Enjoy the trip!

Ride Safe,

Bob

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in