Any X3 Owners? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 28th, 2014, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Any X3 Owners?

Leaning towards replacing the wife's Lexus RX with a BMW X3 ... any owners with opinions on the board?

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90
SCBMWRC / MOA / Airhead Beemer Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 28th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Re: Any X3 Owners?

A couple of months ago the wife and I were on the search. Looked at X3's, X5'x, the Mercedes equals but did not consider the Asian equals for some reason. Probably because of misguided thinking that I liked the German handling vehicles better. It would be her choice but my only qualifier was to have a large engine, I did not want the auto trans hunting all the time like many 4 bangers do. Also the main feature would be top quality 4 wheel drive system.
Turns out she bought a Subaru,the new ones are larger now! She did get the flat 6 cyl. engine. The minimal features do not match up to the electronics of the other cars but it is comfortable and does the job.
I think you need to look at Audi also. The Lexus looks great. I do miss some of the electrical wizardry of the German cars though.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 28th, 2014, 3:07 pm

Judy has a 2014 X3 with the turbocharged 4 and loves it. Great handling machine, and has three driving modes. I usually run it in the "sport" mode which is better throttle response which I love. You will not have a problem with non-responsive 4-cyl like a lot of cars. This one has guts !! Judy uses the normal mode around town and has no problem with that. There is an eco mode that shuts off the engine at stops, but we run that disabled. This is her second X3 and she is basically spoiled by BMW cars. Simply the Ultimate Driving Machine. Her mileage is around 24 city 28-31 on highway cruising. The original X3 was a non-turbo inline 6 with plenty of pep, but the turbo 4 feels a bit stronger due to the turbo and sport mode program. Benefit is that you have performance capability, as well as great economy if you use the eco-mode stuff.

I drive a 2010 X5-3.5d which is the turbodiesel inline 6. This is a beast that most people mistake for a V8. Great power, great towing capability, and is very "sporty" in performance if you put your foot in it. It also gets similar mileage to the X3 and is a great long-distance machine, 550 miles at a hop is easy.

The X-Drive 4wd system is very nice, and the automatic stability control really works. My X5 saved me a crash when I hit some oil in a two-lane turn situation with a large truck in the outside lane. I hit the oil and felt a definite yaw and slide, and simple continued to look where I wanted to be and did not touch brakes or make any gross steering inputs. The ASC could be felt doing its thing and regained traction without me sliding into the truck.

If you have a choice, get the technology package. It includes a bunch of goodies including the backup camera and a vertical view set of side cameras, and tracking HID headlights. The side cameras make parallel and backup parking very easy.

All together a great vehicle. If you wish, shoot me a PM and I would be happy to talk with you about it. Then we can put the women together and let them work it out

If you buy it you will not be disappointed in the car. Depending on your mileage, you might even save a bit of money simply leasing, and get a new one ever 3 years of so. That way you have no maintenance other than tires and wiper blades ever.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

Last edited by ka5ysy; Dec 28th, 2014 at 3:15 pm.

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 28th, 2014, 3:17 pm

There you go, good choice. I too looked at the Diesel model and it sure looked like the way to go. You can get the exhaust blue fluid (urea) bulk most any auto store now and save some if you do your own work. I can't remember if it was the Mercedes or the BMW Diesel that wanted you to buy their container so it would screw on to the fill point, geez. But then many folks who own these cars don't open the hood.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 29th, 2014, 12:03 am Thread Starter

Thank you for the feedback. Went again today to test drive the gasoline X3 (drove the diesel yesterday). Salesman told me no budge on MSRP due to supply and demand so I walked .. his "manager" said they could make me happy as I was leaving, but I ended up getting her another Lexus instead. She is happy, so I am happy 👍

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5

post #6 of 9 Old Dec 29th, 2014, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRoady View Post
I ended up getting her another Lexus instead. She is happy, so I am happy 👍
Which model did you get?
We are at the crossroad where we need to replace 2 of our cars... Thx!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 9 Old Dec 29th, 2014, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
Which model did you get?
We are at the crossroad where we need to replace 2 of our cars... Thx!
We actually replaced a 2004 RX330 with a 2015 RX350 ... basically same car she has had and loved for 11 trouble free years. We are kinda boring I guess ... She even got essentially the same color
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	992.6 KB
ID:	71265  

Chris

2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5

post #8 of 9 Old Dec 29th, 2014, 11:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRoady View Post
We actually replaced a 2004 RX330 with a 2015 RX350 ... basically same car she has had and loved for 11 trouble free years. We are kinda boring I guess ... She even got essentially the same color
Let's call it being consistent...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #9 of 9 Old Dec 30th, 2014, 12:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
Let's call it being consistent...
Very kind

Chris

2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in